Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EcoHitch Bike Rack - 2 or 1.25 inch?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Curious about experience with ecohitches 2" or 1.25", and which folks recommend? I know that the 2" has more flexiblity (though no one is really saying waht flex that provides) and it is only a "bit less" clearance, and can't figure out how much. My use case will be 2 bike platform rack (sherpa) and perhaps skis or luggage.

Specifically,
  • what's the difference in clearance between the two?
  • any strong recommendations between the Stealth and Hidden?
  • anyone have an extra that they're not using and want to sell?
Thanks so much!

As far as I know only the Stealth is available for the Model S. I always prefer a 2" receiver because that gives you more options for heavier duty racks and just more rack options in general. I like to have the option of carrying 4 bikes. If there's a 4 bike option for a 1.5" receiver, I wouldn't trust it.

I agree with LostWages. I just installed the eTrailer trailer hitch this past weekend. I drive around without the trailer receiver connected (I keep it in a storage shed). Only when I need it will I connect it. So, you can buy both sizes. I went with the smaller size because that is the size I had on my previous car. The hitch on my previous car had the exact same rating - 200 pound tongue weight, 2,000 pound trailer weight. In five years of sporadic towing, no issues, but I didn't tow a full RV, and don't plan to. One time I towed a motorcycle and trailer, a 2,000 pound load...no issues with smaller size trailer hitch.