Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Economy car: 2 doors or 4?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It just seems natural to me that the Model 2 (or whatever it’s eventually called) would have two doors. The presumed size, the price point, the efficiency requirements… Making it a coupe is the path of least resistance.

And yet, a lot of people seem to be assuming four doors, because… I guess, that’s just how all mainstream cars are by default now? Except ponycars, maybe?

Yup I agree with you. Tesla will definitely make this vehicle a 4 door since they will also use this car for their “robotaxi” fleet.

From an initial price point, the model 2 would make sense for robotaxi but the cyber truck would be more ideal. The cyber truck can carry more passengers comfortably, can carry more luggage, stainless steel exterior that would last forever, and can be produced faster due to the lack of a paint job.

It just seems natural to me that the Model 2 (or whatever it’s eventually called) would have two doors. The presumed size, the price point, the efficiency requirements… Making it a coupe is the path of least resistance.

And yet, a lot of people seem to be assuming four doors, because… I guess, that’s just how all mainstream cars are by default now? Except ponycars, maybe?

4 doors.

Just take a look at the Bolt or ID3.

No excuse not to build a vehicle with a practical form factor that has good passenger and cargo space.

Across all segments, the car market is shifting from 2 doors to 4 doors. The pickup market has moved from mostly 2 doors to 4. The SUV market is almost all 4 door. Hatchbacks used to be mostly 2 door, but now are almost all 4 door. Heck, even sports cars; far more enthusiasts buy 4-door performance cars like the BMW M3 or Ford Focus RS than buy dedicated sport coupes. No surprise why. 2 door cars are a pain in the butt in tight parking spaces or if you have to use the back seat.

Elon Musk made rare new comments about a new Tesla model to be designed in Europe, more specifically Berlin. The CEO says that it’s likely going to be a small electric hatchback. After Tesla announced its plan to build a Gigafactory in Berlin, CEO Elon Musk mentioned that Tesla was also going to establish a design center in Germany and design a new Tesla electric car locally with local talent.

Elon Musk talks new Tesla model to be designed in Europe: likely a small electric hatchback - Electrek

Tesla-hatchback.jpg