Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Effect of disinfectants on seat materials?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Search and cars user manual are a good start.

Use some lysol/clorox wipes, a 20-50% isopropyl alcohol water mix and microfiber towels... etc.

Ozone generating machines (used infrequently for max 15-20min, then air out) and done.

Put your car under the sun. The UV would kill the Coronavirus in an hour or so.

If you want to use alcohol, isopropyl alcohol needs to be at least 70% and stay on surface for 30 seconds. That’s literally pouring the alcohol on the seat then wipe it around. So it stays there for 30 seconds.

Put your car under the sun. The UV would kill the Coronavirus in an hour or so.

If you want to use alcohol, isopropyl alcohol needs to be at least 70% and stay on surface for 30 seconds. That’s literally pouring the alcohol on the seat then wipe it around. So it stays there for 30 seconds.

But what if you have UV protected tint all around your car? Leaving it out in the sun prob won't work... :(

But what if you have UV protected tint all around your car? Leaving it out in the sun prob won't work... :(

Oh that’s true. I got mobile service a few days ago and I just parked my car outside aftwrwards. But I don’t have tints yet. Thanks for the shutdown. Was planning to get it this spring.

I don’t know. I’m scare any chemical may degrade the vinyl. Soup and water in this case.

I tried Clorox wipes on the steering wheel (real leather) and the seats. On the steering wheel it left the leather a bit dry. Seats seems fine but then they are white so hard to tell.

If you are only interested in killing coronavirus all you really need is soapy water. Just search for soap + water kills virus.

I'm planning to conduct extensive field testing with initially very low alcohol percentages, starting perhaps with 4-7%, shifting into a 12% range and finishing at perhaps 40-45%. I''ll let you know how that goes.

You're wasting your time on alcohol concentrations below 70%. Kinda pointless to subject the materials to any harsh chemicals if you're not going to achieve the primary goal of killing pathogens.

The Most Effective Ways to Kill Coronavirus in Your Home

I am using clorox wipes followed up with a wipedown of 303 Aerospace Protectant.

https://www.amazon.com/303-30306-Aerospace-Protectant-Furniture/dp/B00JREJ9WU?th=1

Best,

You're wasting your time on alcohol concentrations below 70%. Kinda pointless to subject the materials to any harsh chemicals if you're not going to achieve the primary goal of killing pathogens.

The Most Effective Ways to Kill Coronavirus in Your Home

I am using clorox wipes followed up with a wipedown of 303 Aerospace Protectant.

https://www.amazon.com/303-30306-Aerospace-Protectant-Furniture/dp/B00JREJ9WU?th=1

Best,

yes, sorry, I was joking about beer, wine and bourbon, since I didn’t get any serious answer. I was worried about the bleach solutions on the black seats. If yours are white, any discoloration might be less apparent.

Ive been putting 303 on as a base layer, the wiping with a 70% iso solution after anyone else has been in the car, doors, seats and wheel. All black. So far no noticeable bad effect.

Ralph142 I believe vigorous cleaning with a car interior detergent is going to get you the most value. Just like cleaning your hands with soap and water destroys viruses through the denaturing of their outer protein shell and the friction of scrubbing, the same is true for cleaning surfaces.
Not that you wouldn't get some further benefit from following that up with disinfectants like alcohol, bleach, wipes, etc.; I just don't think it's worth the effort due to diminishing returns. Just my opinion based on my profession of cleaning things, and researching the effectiveness and best practices for professional cleaning and disinfecting over the decades.
Another option that is completely safe for auto interiors is chlorine dioxide gas. Once the interior has been scrubbed clean you can use something like this and follow the directions. It'll cost you $10 per use but if you're looking to do your best after someone has been in your car I think that's the best route. Using a gas like chlorine dioxide(ClO2) or ozone(O3) also has the benefit of disinfecting a much broader surface area inside your vehicle than you can cover with just wiping/spraying a disinfectant.

Reactions: ralph142
Ralph142 I believe vigorous cleaning with a car interior detergent is going to get you the most value. Just like cleaning your hands with soap and water destroys viruses through the denaturing of their outer protein shell and the friction of scrubbing, the same is true for cleaning surfaces.
Not that you wouldn't get some further benefit from following that up with disinfectants like alcohol, bleach, wipes, etc.; I just don't think it's worth the effort due to diminishing returns. Just my opinion based on my profession of cleaning things, and researching the effectiveness and best practices for professional cleaning and disinfecting over the decades.
Another option that is completely safe for auto interiors is chlorine dioxide gas. Once the interior has been scrubbed clean you can use something like this and follow the directions. It'll cost you $10 per use but if you're looking to do your best after someone has been in your car I think that's the best route. Using a gas like chlorine dioxide(ClO2) or ozone(O3) also has the benefit of disinfecting a much broader surface area inside your vehicle than you can cover with just wiping/spraying a disinfectant.

nice, thanks. I had the soap and water / upholstery cleaner argument with my wife and she’s happier with a disinfectant. I stayed away from anything with bleach in it.

yes, sorry, I was joking about beer, wine and bourbon, since I didn’t get any serious answer. I was worried about the bleach solutions on the black seats. If yours are white, any discoloration might be less apparent.

Ive been putting 303 on as a base layer, the wiping with a 70% iso solution after anyone else has been in the car, doors, seats and wheel. All black. So far no noticeable bad effect.

I have black seats. No issues so far, but it's only been a week. I use 303 extensively after years of seeing how well it works in very harsh marine environments. Amazing stuff on anything rubber/plastic or on finished leather.

Best,

Reactions: ralph142