Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Steering Wheel Peeling - less than 3 years

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I noticed my steering wheel was peeling. I have a 2020 Tesla Model 3. I reached out to service and I was informed that it is not covered by warranty. They claim "the bubbling picture is deterioration of the fabric due to hand lotion adn/or alcohol from hand sanitizer. This would not be covered under warranty". What a joke. I don't use sanitizer or alcohol (maybe once every few months if required) and I suspect this is the stock anwser everyone has been given rather than the truth that the material used on the steering wheel is inferior and will not last. I have less than 35K miles on the car. I informed them that I had seen dozens of posts with the same issue. Good news though they will gladly correct the issue for $928.96. Of course I'll have to repair it again in 2 and 1/2 years. It is just so frustrating that there is a common problem here and they are trying to shift the financial burden of their poor choice in material onto the consumer. If anyone has any suggestions I am open to it.

Attachments

• DOC092023-004.pdf
    121.3 KB · Views: 71
  • WhatsApp Image 2023-09-20 at 16.28.13.jpg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-09-20 at 16.28.13.jpg
    248.6 KB · Views: 203
  • WhatsApp Image 2023-09-20 at 16.27.52.jpg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-09-20 at 16.27.52.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 116
and I suspect this is the stock anwser everyone has been given rather than the truth that the material used on the steering wheel is inferior and will not last.

I have been driving my model 3 for 5 years (and 42k miles), and no issue at all like that, so I dont think a blanket statement such as the above is the appropriate one.

I have been driving my model 3 for 5 years (and 42k miles), and no issue at all like that, so I dont think a blanket statement such as the above is the appropriate one.
I would tend to agree, it's not the appropriate one. What would be appropriate would be to make the blanket bigger....

Tesla doesn't use good material /vinyl to begin with, and the SC is taught to deflect the issue. Steering wheels bubbling, headrests bubbling, and all with a "owner is at fault" answer.

No, it's a Tesla problem, and you are the beta tester. Don't forget, they are a tech company trying to build cars. They are doing a pretty good job, especially with the Model 3 and Y, but they still have numerous faults established car companies don't. One of which is seating and high use materials.

Yes, I do have a love/hate relationship with Tesla.

I would tend to agree, it's not the appropriate one. What would be appropriate would be to make the blanket bigger....

Tesla doesn't use good material /vinyl to begin with, and the SC is taught to deflect the issue. Steering wheels bubbling, headrests bubbling, and all with a "owner is at fault" answer.

No, it's a Tesla problem, and you are the beta tester. Don't forget, they are a tech company trying to build cars. They are doing a pretty good job, especially with the Model 3 and Y, but they still have numerous faults established car companies don't. One of which is seating and high use materials.

Yes, I do have a love/hate relationship with Tesla.
I don't think Tesla's blanket statement that it's caused by hand sanitizer and lotion so not warranty covered as a blanket statement is appropriate either. What kind of car manufacturer makes material choices that are deteriorated by commonly used items like sanitizer and lotion? I don't get why Tesla owners are so ga-ga over Elon that they are willing to take the shaft from him. It's crap customer service and they won't back up their warranties. Plain and simple.

I have the same issue and got the same answer. I was told hands might have had solvents on them that damaged the material. If solvents are that strong I'm surprised I would not have felt some sort of burring sensation...lol. I've had cars for over 30 years now and this has never occurred to me. The fake leather is almost paper thin. I told the service dept. I just need the leather to be replaced not the whole wheel. They can't do that either.