Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Electric BMW i4 Spied For First Time: Looks Ready To Roll

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
BMW i4 is already undergoing road tests

The test prototype of the BMW i4 (based on the BMW i Vision Dynamics concept and schedule for 2021) was recently seen for the first time.

The car is camouflaged but not that much to not be able to draw some thoughts before the official unveiling, which most likely will be at the Frankfurt Car Show in September.

According to what we know so far, the i4 will be built on universal CLAR modular architecture (for gasoline, diesel, plug-in hybrid and all-electric cars). It will be part of the 4 Series Gran Coupe lineup, which will translate to a more conventional design, as compared to the i3 and i8. The production of i4 is expected alongside the conventional 4 Series Gran Coupe as a way to save costs and increase flexibility in relation to demand of different versions.

Here is what we noticed:

The front end will be different compared to the 4 Series Gran Coupe, as there is no need for a huge grill and it must fit the modern EV style.

Door handles seem to be different – it looks like you just slide your hand under to open the door.

Battery pack probably slightly raises the ride position compared to the 4 Series Gran Coupe.

Painted exhaust pipes – thankfully those will not come standard on the i4

BMW i4 expected (unofficial) specs:

BMW i4 80 sDrive (for rear-wheel drive)

BMW i4 80 xDrive (for dual motor all-wheel drive)

80 kWh (plus 60 kWh version)

5th generation eDrive platform for BEVs will be offering ranges between 550-700 km (340-435 miles)

BMW-i4-spy-photo-1-150x150.jpg

This article originally appeared on Inside EVs.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's amazing they haven't learned anything from Tesla. An automobile that's gas powered that's retrofitted to be electric will be awful. GM figured this out. I'm sure others will eventually.

I agree that turning a ICE car into a EV is not the great strategy, but not sure GM has figured it out. After all the Chevy Spark is a called the Beat in Asia and has gas and diesel variant. The Chevy Bolt is the same car as the Chevy Sonic with an EV drive train.

• Informative
Reactions: Brando
I agree that turning a ICE car into a EV is not the great strategy, but not sure GM has figured it out. After all the Chevy Spark is a called the Beat in Asia and has gas and diesel variant. The Chevy Bolt is the same car as the Chevy Sonic with an EV drive train.

I'm sure they all know this. It's only a question of how much commitment and investment they are willing to put in it.

4-series is medium-low selling body. BMW is very cautious with EV-investments. They don't want to invest enough to make a really good EV that will reduce sales of ICE versions. Still trying to push it few more years:rolleyes:
I'm pretty sure next is 2-series. With a short nose suitable for smallish straight 3 and 4 engines, this body fits EV better than 4-series with excessively large nose (for EV). And then 1-series. Same story.
As of right now, 2-series already has PHEV version which works fine.

4-series is medium-low selling body. BMW is very cautious with EV-investments. They don't want to invest enough to make a really good EV that will reduce sales of ICE versions. Still trying to push it few more years:rolleyes:
I'm pretty sure next is 2-series. With a short nose suitable for smallish straight 3 and 4 engines, this body fits EV better than 4-series with excessively large nose (for EV). And then 1-series. Same story.
As of right now, 2-series already has PHEV version which works fine.

Actually, the 4 series sells only slightly less than the 3 and 5 series. I would not define it as "medium to low selling body". That would be 6s and 7s. 3s and 4s are basically the same car but with the 4 being a "coupe" and the 3 being a sedan... even though the 4 has the "grand coupe" which is a 4 door sedan shaped like a fastback.

In any case, the 4s are pretty popular. Only 3s and 5s sell more from a sedan perspective.

Actually, the 4 series sells only slightly less than the 3 and 5 series. I would not define it as "medium to low selling body". That would be 6s and 7s. 3s and 4s are basically the same car but with the 4 being a "coupe" and the 3 being a sedan... even though the 4 has the "grand coupe" which is a 4 door sedan shaped like a fastback.

In any case, the 4s are pretty popular. Only 3s and 5s sell more from a sedan perspective.

Noup. 3-series is the "Model 3" of BMW.
Premium and cheap. (though it's more premium and cheaper in case of of smaller engine power).
High selling BMW's have always been 3 and 5 series. Lately 1 and 2 series emerged, especially in EU (smaller vehicles),
and even surpassed 4-series.
bmw-sales-2016-2017.jpg