Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Electric Lawnmowers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This upsets me all the time. Due to the fateful adoption of 120V in the USA instead of 240V as in most of the rest of the world, we will forever be doomed to having appliances that are only half as powerful as they could have been. This affects so many things - snow blowers, lawn mowers, kettles, power tools, etc, etc, etc.

I'd say the answer is probably that the USA came first, with less refined technology, and that retrofits are expensive.

This upsets me all the time. Due to the fateful adoption of 120V in the USA instead of 240V as in most of the rest of the world, we will forever be doomed to having appliances that are only half as powerful as they could have been. This affects so many things - snow blowers, lawn mowers, kettles, power tools, etc, etc, etc.

Not sure what you're talking about because pretty much all of North American homes have 240 volt services. They are typically split phase services with 2-120 volt legs as well. Stoves, Dryers, Water Heaters, Welders etc. are all examples of 240 volt appliances in the home. There are a number of NEMA 240 volt outlets that any electrician could wire into your home (such as the NEMA 14-50 for Tesla's UMC).

120 volt appliances aren't "half as powerful". P=V*I so for the same power, a 120 volt appliance would have to draw twice the current, but that is hardly an issue with typical household appliances.

Not sure what you're talking about because pretty much all of North American homes have 240 volt services.

Yes, they have 240V service, but few if any 240V outlets. So, what I am talking about is the fact that when you walk into a new home in the US, there are 3 to 5 15A 120V outlets per room, but none at 240V. The only 240V outlets are the dedicated ones you mention, but there is no 240V outlet in the bathroom, or the kitchen counter. Nor are there any 30A 120V outlets. I'd also bet that any 240V outlets in the garage for something like a welder was installed after the house was built. So, the lack of 240V outlets means that few people will buy 240V appliance, hence they are not sold.

This leaves us with kettles and space heaters running at 1.4 kW instead of 2.8 kW, corded electric snow blowers, mowers, chain saws (if you can find them) at 2 or 3 HP instead of 4 or 5 HP.

While I can't get away with a battery operated snowblower (mine's electric and is sufficient for MOST of the snowstorms we have), all my other tools are battery-electric. Chainsaw, lawnmower, drills, weed-whacker, hedge trimmer, power hammer, sander, jigsaw, etc. With the battery, I don't worry about cords and, if it takes a little longer to "juice up", well, I have multiple batteries (except the lawnmower - that's a custom one)

What type of snowblower do you have? I currently run an 8hp 24" gas snowblower. We usually get a few snowstorms each season that put it to the test. I would love to replace it with an electric, but not sure if I can reasonably do so.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

What type of snowblower do you have? I currently run an 8hp 24" gas snowblower. We usually get a few snowstorms each season that put it to the test. I would love to replace it with an electric, but not sure if I can reasonably do so.

I use a Snow-Joe (weird name) and it works surprisingly well. The only thing it really can't handle is the pile of hard snow pushed up at the end of my driveway when the plow goes by.

I think it is probably as powerful as the smallest gas blower (3-4 HP maybe).

This is the snowblower I bought: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0030BG1L8/ref=wms_ohs_product?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It works for the driveway and handles the "snow dam" that the plow leaves behind *if* you tackle it properly (in slices). I think the motor was too strong for the chute as I *have* had problems with the bolts on either side of the chute not holding their ground. It's not the first electric blower I've had.. In the 1990s, I bought a Craftsman that last over 10 years but had a wheel fall off. I gave it to my then-girlfriend and she fabricated something that kept the wheel on and that old blower is STILL working. (Oh, and I later married that woman). Before the GreenWorks blower, I bought a Toro that didn't survive the 2nd winter - it was simply awful and fell apart. So, Craftsman & GreenWorks: Good. Toro: Bad (but that's just my experience)

For the chainsaw, I've 'invested' in the Ryobi line of tools. I liked the lithium battery for it's power curve and quick charging. So what I have is this: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-One-18-Volt-Cordless-Lithium-ion-Chainsaw-P543/202960311

It's only a 10" saw but I'm not cutting down trees with it. I use it for trimming limbs and other things that the hedge trimmer just can't handle. For bigger jobs, I *do* have a Craftsman 14" *corded* electric chainsaw that I bought before I started getting into the cordless tools.

- - - Updated - - -

This is the snowblower I bought: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0030BG1L8/ref=wms_ohs_product?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It works for the driveway and handles the "snow dam" that the plow leaves behind *if* you tackle it properly (in slices). I think the motor was too strong for the chute as I *have* had problems with the bolts on either side of the chute not holding their ground. It's not the first electric blower I've had.. In the 1990s, I bought a Craftsman that last over 10 years but had a wheel fall off. I gave it to my then-girlfriend and she fabricated something that kept the wheel on and that old blower is STILL working. (Oh, and I later married that woman). Before the GreenWorks blower, I bought a Toro that didn't survive the 2nd winter - it was simply awful and fell apart. So, Craftsman & GreenWorks: Good. Toro: Bad (but that's just my experience)

For the chainsaw, I've 'invested' in the Ryobi line of tools. I liked the lithium battery for it's power curve and quick charging. So what I have is this: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-One-18-Volt-Cordless-Lithium-ion-Chainsaw-P543/202960311

It's only a 10" saw but I'm not cutting down trees with it. I use it for trimming limbs and other things that the hedge trimmer just can't handle. For bigger jobs, I *do* have a Craftsman 14" *corded* electric chainsaw that I bought before I started getting into the cordless tools.

Noticed that Cub Cadet is starting to sell an electric version of its RZT S Zero-Turn line of riding mowers. Has anyone had a chance to check them out?

http://newsroom.cubcadet.com/newsroom/article/new-articlepage-42

RZT-S-Zero.jpg

That looks really interesting; shame they don't seem to be anywhere near the South-East...

Here i am years in the future. I saw one of these up close. We are considering getting one...once our tesla is paid for. The big downside for us is the 1hr runtime and no quick charge. Takes 10-16hrs to recharge. Hopefully they catch on and have bigger batteries in 4 years. We'll definitely be getting one if they do.

Our gas lawn mower wouldn't start this spring. I've been hoping that would happen for a couple of years now. :smile: Picked up a 56v EGO mower at Home Cheapo. We've had it a week now and it's performing pretty well! A few things I was worried about but are non-issues:

• Battery cooling. While our cars are excellent at this, I was worried the mower wouldn't. But it runs a strong fan continuously while mowing and charging and the battery never gets warm.
  • Adequate power if your lawn gets out of control with tall stuff. Yup, that strong torque we're used to in our cars seems to carry over to the lawnmower.
  • Charging time. It takes only 30 minutes. That's after a run time of about 40 minutes. Not bad. Gas is quicker to get you back on the job, but this small sacrifice is worth the benefits of electric mowing.
  • Potential bricking if you leave it over the winter. It handles this pretty well. If you don't do anything for 30 days, it goes into a type of hibernation, shutting down residual draw. In this state it automatically discharges the battery to about 50% to maintain long-term battery health.
The only thing that surprised me is how loud it is. While much quieter than a gas mower, it still makes a lot of noise. I can't tell how much is gear noise and how much comes from the blade. I also wish it had a side-discharge chute. It's either bag it or mulch it. No other options.

Next spring I won't have to worry whether my mower starts or not. No trips to fill the gas can. No stink and mess while refueling. One less gas motor in the family...!

Our gas lawn mower wouldn't start this spring. I've been hoping that would happen for a couple of years now. :smile: Picked up a 56v EGO mower at Home Cheapo.

I bought the same mower from the same retailer. I'm mildly disappointed with it. I came from a Ryobi lead-acid self propelled model. I was very heavy and you really needed the self propelled system. The problem with it was that after a season I couldn't get through my suburban lawn on a charge and it took about 6 hours to charge up. I bought a second battery for about what I could have bought a whole cheap gas mower, and that battery failed outright after 1 season. So I picked up the EGO. I cut half my lawn, then do the 1/2 hour re-charge and cut the second half. Sometimes I can't get through the second half without the red light coming on and the mower shutting down. May need to pick up a second battery for it too. Also, it doesn't seem to have the torque of the old Ryobi and bogs down in heavy grass whereas the Ryobi just powered through.

I bought the same mower from the same retailer. I'm mildly disappointed with it. I came from a Ryobi lead-acid self propelled model. I was very heavy and you really needed the self propelled system. The problem with it was that after a season I couldn't get through my suburban lawn on a charge and it took about 6 hours to charge up. I bought a second battery for about what I could have bought a whole cheap gas mower, and that battery failed outright after 1 season. So I picked up the EGO. I cut half my lawn, then do the 1/2 hour re-charge and cut the second half. Sometimes I can't get through the second half without the red light coming on and the mower shutting down. May need to pick up a second battery for it too. Also, it doesn't seem to have the torque of the old Ryobi and bogs down in heavy grass whereas the Ryobi just powered through.
I'm on my second season with the EGO and I'm still happy with it, except it is hard to push on a hill after coming from a self-propelled gasoline Honda mower. I haven't had it stall in tall grass if rains cause me to skip mowing one week. I cut the front lawn, recharge the battery (and myself), then cut the back lawn.