Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Electric skateboards and regen

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

bmah

Moderator, Supercharger Hunter
Global Moderator
Mar 17, 2015
Lafayette, CA, USA
One of my co-workers rides an electric skateboard, and I learned today that it has regen braking just like a Tesla. And just like a Tesla, if the board has a full battery, you don't get much if any regen braking.

The big difference is that the Tesla also has friction brakes...unlike my coworker's skateboard. So, after charging up his board at the office one day last week, he had to jump off while going downhill at about 15 mph, because he had no way to stop or even slow down. (He and his skateboard got banged up a bit, but are basically OK.) Then he went to RTFM, where it specifically said not to ride downhill with a fully-charged battery. o_O

Bruce.

Funny, that darn skateboard will end being his gateway drug to a Zero or Model 3. Electric scooters are also making progress, recently I saw a Lambo yellow one with dual shock absorbers, skinny tires and speed limiter delete mod, the kid was doing 45mph on sidewalks, but he did not have much more to lose:eek:

Reactions: bmah
Yeah, I have that board as well. It was my gateway drug to getting the Tesla.

In fact I rode it from the bus station to pickup my Tesla.

I've known about the "can't brake when battery is 100%" issue since I got the board. It does suck, but it's not a big deal. Supposedly it gives you a beep to warn you, but I haven't tested it.

I can't decide whether it's my favorite vehicle or if my favorite vehicle is my Pedal Assist bike. Both of them give me a feeling of freedom. I don't have that with the Tesla because there is always someone in the way.