Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is regen above 100% possible?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2023 Model 3 RWD so I charge to 100% every night per Tesla recommendation. I Iive at the top of a ridge that is about 1000 ft elevation above the neighboring topography. On my morning commute to work I drive down the grade and because I have my car at to “apply brakes when regenerative braking is limited”, I can’t really tell if I’m using regen or not. But, when I get to the bottom, I can go a long time at 100% even though I’m going up and down rolling hills. Is it possible that the battery is charging above 100%? Sorry, if this has been addressed, I did a search and didn’t find anything exactly on this topic.

Short answer, no. The reason they included “apply brakes when regenerative braking is limited” is because when the battery is full regen can not take effect, and thus a different and potentially unexpected driving experience would occur.

Reactions: narth327
100% is not so absolute a specific line in the sand as it sounds.

I own a 2023 model 3 RWD and obediently charge it to 100% by Wall Connector weekly.

I also live at a location where my most common driving involves descending a gently sloped hill on a major road which loses me about 1000 feet in about 4 miles, after first spending about a half mile on local minor road.

I own and routinely use Scan my Tesla. So I get to watch in real time how much max regen kW is available, and what power flow (positive or negative) is happening at any moment. I also get to watch my brake temperature.

The bottom line is that I commonly leave my garage with between 40 and 80 kW of regen available, despite just having charged to 100%.

As I go down that hill, I use some power to accelerate, and use some regen to slow for stoplights, At steady speed on the hill I am in mild regen (say 5 to 10 kW, typical). As I go down the hill, my available max Regen drops off substantially, getting down to as low as 12 kW (which is not very much stopping power, by the way), but I have never seen it reported as zero. Quite short periods of acceleration from stoplights give a surprisingly large recovery in Max Regen.

But even mild braking for a stoplights gets me to needing much more braking power than the available max regen. I can instantly see this in rising brake temperatures, and even get a rough feel for "how much". If the brakes went up from 85F to 90F, they barely got a touch. If they go from 85% to 140F, that was a substantial event.

Going back to the original question, it is clear to me that Tesla puts non-zero regen power flow into my battery even when it is reporting 100% SOC, but the rate is severely limited.

I have a 2023 Model 3 RWD so I charge to 100% every night per Tesla recommendation. I Iive at the top of a ridge that is about 1000 ft elevation above the neighboring topography. On my morning commute to work I drive down the grade and because I have my car at to “apply brakes when regenerative braking is limited”, I can’t really tell if I’m using regen or not. But, when I get to the bottom, I can go a long time at 100% even though I’m going up and down rolling hills. Is it possible that the battery is charging above 100%? Sorry, if this has been addressed, I did a search and didn’t find anything exactly on this topic.
You don't need to charge the LFP pack to 100% everyday. The battery should be calibrated to 100% weekly so the car doesn't forget and lose track at the lower charge levels (below 20% indicated) and run out before it reaches 0%.

Charge once a week to 100%, the rest of the time to 80% to eliminate your lack of regen issues. Also turn on "Apply brakes when regen is limited"

Reactions: KenC