Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2013 Model S 60D doesn't charge, what is scrap value?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My friend has a 2013 Model S 60D with 150k miles. Basic model with no options. It's been in a few minor fender benders (bumpers and quarter panel are banged up and rear windshield cracked) and the interior is pretty rough too (ripped seats, etc.), but about a month ago it stopped charging, so he took it to Tesla and they said he needs a new HV battery. Now it's sitting in his carport with the windows stuck open, he can't even get the charger cable out of the charge port. He really just wants it gone, like yesterday. I offered to get it out of his way and tow it to my driveway. I will then try to part out a few things like the headlights, wheels, tires, and then sell it to a scrap yard asap.

What should I offer him for it just to help him get it gone?

Searched for answers, but the outdated battery replacement cost/benefit calculations from a few years ago don't apply today when used Tesla prices have dropped so much recently.
modelS60front.png

Attachments

• modelS60frunk.png
    modelS60frunk.png
    3.8 MB · Views: 22
  • modelS60rear.png
    modelS60rear.png
    3.8 MB · Views: 21
Tesla didn’t introduce the AWD “D” variant until 2014.

Few will be interested in 2014 wheels and tires. Do you know if the LED running light segments (eyebrows) were complete when it died? How about the rear LED segments?

Most valuable parts of the car are its battery (for stripping individual modules) and its motor(s). I would think whole doors would be next.

At 150,000 miles, some of the more valuable parts may have been updated under the standard or extended warranty. If you get serious about this I would ask your friend to get Tesla to release the full service history, since the motors have several revisions and the big rear motor revisions (non-D) are significant.

I know you are not considering parting out the individual pieces yourself, but if you were, that service history would be helpful. For example, I would never put an original heater core from a 2013 car into a newer model since that part has had several revisions.

Has your friend thought about a replacement Recell battery? There is some value in the free unlimited supercharging that the car might have if you could keep it on the road.

Last edited:
my guess about 2-3k
reason: i see s85s on copart/iaai for about 5-6k, with damage but working batteries.
60kwh pack modules are not popular at all, maybe just for solar...
i think the only good drivetrain part would be LDU if it still functional n can be 'coolant deleted'
i'm sure some plastic pieces could be sold on ebay
bumper covers would be most valuable parts but they don't look very good..
u can def make some money selling part but will take some time for sure...

Thank you Krash and Brainhouston for the analysis and questions! Correction: It is RWD. It is just a 60, not D.

The 2-3k guess is pretty similar to what we were thinking/guessing. Or maybe even less now that it's truly immobile. If we did invest the time/money/effort into a replacement Recell, we'd go for a larger pack like 75 or more, but probably not worth the cost because no SC01 and even with a perfectly healthy battery, the current market value of this vehicle with a clean title looks like around $10k - $12k, and this one has a salvage/rebuilt title. And who knows what other expensive suspension or drivetrain issue could be coming up next.

Asking for service records from Tesla is a good idea, to help determine which parts are more likely to be worth salvaging. IIRC, the headlights and taillights were functional and complete when it died. So at least there's some value there. Selling other parts can be slightly profitable, but generally expecting not much more than to break even when considering time/effort/selling fees/etc. Bumpercovers and most plastic pieces throughout inside and out are generally fairly worn.

So... curious if a scrapyard would offer the typical couple hundred bucks or if there is a way to get more because these Tesla's have a mineral-rich lithium and nickel battery? (although only 60kwh)

Would these wheels fit on any more recent Teslas from 2021 or 2023? I could give these wheels to one of my friends with newer Teslas who could use them for their winter tire set.