Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Electric Vehicle Parking Only

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If this Magic Transformation to electric vehicles is ever going to happen
We must put up better signs.
I just took a long trip in to the mountains of North Carolina
where no super chargers live, so I did some destination Charging.
all chargers were Iced,Even by People working at the location, lucky spots next to it were open, so I could still charge.
here is my suggested sign.

Attachments

• ELECTRIC VEHICLE PARKING.jpg
    ELECTRIC VEHICLE PARKING.jpg
    703.2 KB · Views: 144
signs are nice however without the force of law behind them they are just about worthless. parking laws are usually implemented by local authorities and that is where the advocacy efforts need to be focused. Possibly if enough pressure is applied on a state level the laws for charging spots could rise to a level that the handicapped parking spots, stiff fines and fear of having a car towed would be the strongest deterrent to people parking their ICE vehicles in charging slots.

agreed, signs are an important first step but enforcement (or current lack thereof) is the key

an aside... one local retailer has several parking spots marked "Electric Vehicle Parking Only" in their parking lot. These spaces aren't the closest ones to the store's entrance so not first choice to be ICE'd.

BUT... right beside is another sign saying "Snow Piling Area" with an arrow pointing in the direction of the EV spots. So no respect for EV drivers, come winter... (actually, not that a big deal since the plugs there are only NEMA 5-15, but still...)

Sadly, most ICErs just don't/won't read what's actually written. We'd be better served with red signs like the one below as it looks like a standard NO PARKING sign and screams "don't park here" as opposed to the standard issue green ones that are often intentionally ignored. More signage options on the DOT's FHA site here.

PlugInSites_org_NJTP_NoParking_Sign.jpg

In the meantime, invest in QCP's JLONG™ - 40 Amp, J1772 extension cable. Go with the 40'. It may seem like overkill but it's gotten me out of a few situations here in SoCal where parking's a premium and cars are plentiful. InsideEV review here.

JLONG1.jpg

As I have said before until you have stronger language like tow away zone $200 fine spots will be ICED. Even with that there will be a few clueless individuals that will not care.
this is the only correct solution, until local governments get ordinances in place the signs are mostly useless. this is just another example of the laws not keeping up with the new technologies