Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Australian standards for home charging an Electric Vehicle.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
there is no such thing as "continuous load" in Australian standards
Exactly, nor is there "temporary loads". 10A means 10A used under any and all 10A circumstances - intermittent or continuous. So let's not insert into the AS differentiated performance criteria where there are none. There is only one standard for installation of electrical circuits (referring to domestic here).

Keeping an eye on this thread as we plan to just get a UMC and trickle charge our yet to be delivered model y to see how we go before we decide on whether we need the fixed Tesla charger installed.
Question - we had a brand new water pump installed so we can use our collected roof drains water from a tank. The pump was plugged into a one of 2 new external powerpoints. The enclosure which houses the 2 points states 10a max. Is that 10a max per point or 10a combined. I'm assuming UMC will pull 10a from the point and charge at ~2kwh? If the 10a is shared between the two points, then I'm assuming the random times when pump fires for watering plants, we just get less current for charging and hopefully don't trip the circuit! Or should we disconnect UMC before firing pump? Assuming new outlets with brand new wires should be able to handle continuous draw as per discussions above.

I'm assuming UMC will pull 10a from the point and charge at ~2kwh? If the 10a is shared between the two points, then I'm assuming the random times when pump fires for watering plants, we just get less current for charging and hopefully don't trip the circuit!
It's each, but the entire circuit that's on might only be a 16A breaker.

If you try to draw too much current from the circuit, there's nothing that tells the devices to draw less: you'll just trip the breaker (which if it's only a small overload, won't happen straight away - it's only very large overloads that immediately trip the breaker).

Reactions: jassi
Should be 10A each. The limiting factor will be the wiring. If it is the standard 2.5mm², then it will be capable of 2x10A. The other limiting factor is what else is on that circuit breaker...
Yeah I'm hoping it was a good job and they put in good wiring. The only other thing on there is the pump which we use occasionally.

It's each, but the entire circuit that's on might only be a 16A breaker.

If you try to draw too much current from the circuit, there's nothing that tells the devices to draw less: you'll just trip the breaker (which if it's only a small overload, won't happen straight away - it's only very large overloads that immediately trip the breaker).
Yeah the breaker might be the limiting factor. But hopefully we avoid overloading by simply not charging the Tesla when watering plants!

Posting here only, as most here seem to be more sensible than some of the FB forums, who might latch onto the price.

But saw this on Amazon

15A plug.. but also with a straight 15A to 10A adapter, no RCBO or other protection.

It's one of these new 8 letter trademark company names that are all over Amazon these days.
The price for the unit itself looks normal for a China import, but the adapter concerns me.

Note that Amazon have local stock too.

Posting here only, as most here seem to be more sensible than some of the FB forums, who might latch onto the price.

But saw this on Amazon

15A plug.. but also with a straight 15A to 10A adapter, no RCBO or other protection.

It's one of these new 8 letter trademark company names that are all over Amazon these days.
The price for the unit itself looks normal for a China import, but the adapter concerns me.

jeez... "Just please dial down to 10 amps when using the 10A outlets." 🤪😂

In the description I found:
“15A/10A 2-in-1◀ The plug side of this type 2 EV charger is an AU 15A plug. Alternatively, you can also use a AU 10 A Socket with the supplied Adapter (Just please dial down to 10 amps when using the 10A outlets.)”
So this means that when used in 10A mode, the user always has to remember to turn the current down manually from 15 to 10 Amps. Personally that’s a deal breaker for me.
You have spent a lot of money on a new car, consider getting the manufacturer’s approved and tested device

Reactions: Jules22
In the description I found:
“15A/10A 2-in-1◀ The plug side of this type 2 EV charger is an AU 15A plug. Alternatively, you can also use a AU 10 A Socket with the supplied Adapter (Just please dial down to 10 amps when using the 10A outlets.)”
So this means that when used in 10A mode, the user always has to remember to turn the current down manually from 15 to 10 Amps. Personally that’s a deal breaker for me.
You have spent a lot of money on a new car, consider getting the manufacturer’s approved and tested device
It should be just illegal to sale such thing.

Reactions: Hungry Mile

But saw this on Amazon

I bought one of those, works ok for me since I can leave it on 10amps at home but if i'm at a 15amp outlet i can turn it up.
You only have to set it once and it remembers the setting until you change it.

In my case, the MG4 comes with a crappy Chinese charger, so this is actually an upgrade!