Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Electrical upgrades to home. How much did it cost?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In a condo you are going to have different issues like getting the condo board to approve it and having a meter installed, etc. If the condo is just being constructed you may want to talk to them before the building is finished.

Here is a web site that may have some useful info: Condo | Plug n Drive I have heard from people who were told absolutely not by their condo board. In some instances installing a charger may require approval of 66% of unit owners.

I presented options to my board and asked them to consider. I don't live at the building right now. And I'll be away for 2 years. So no biggie. They'll get time to consider. If I can't get their approval, I'll have to put off the purchase till I buy a home. Or consider if outside charging and supercharging regularly is acceptable....

If you drive to work then having a place to charge while you are at work every day is likely the next best option. The parking garage at my workplace has two EV charging stations but there are now more than two people who work here that have EVs - so you have to sign up for a two hour charging window. One of the EV owners is a co-worker with a Volt and there are other Volts and/or Leafs, but there don't appear to be any other Teslas - yet. I don't bother using it as I don't really need to use it and I am not willing to go down once (or more) during the day to move my car.

But if I didn't have the capability to charge at home I would be using it. Or if I could

I already had plenty of space / capacity in the breaker box, so I only paid $400 to have someone tie in a 100A circuit, run it through the exterior wall in the basement, bury the cable up to the garage, run it through the exterior wall in the garage, under the stairs to the middle of the back wall of the 2 car garage where I could back into either spot and be able to plug in. I spent $750 on the HPWC, so the grand total for me was $1150. Not too shabby for 80A of charging at the house.

$39.34
image.jpeg

When looking for quotes, one electrician said I needed to upgrade 100A -> 150A in order to install a NEMA 14-50 plug. From what I heard, the costs would of been between 8-10k just for hydro to do their work and then probably another few thousand for running a new wire from meter to panel, upgrade panel, install plug etc.. Luckily other electricians said I didn't need to upgrade and they were right, the work is all done now and ESA inspected on 100A.

Someone has given you bad information.

We upgraded from 100 to 200, had to put in new conduit and a pad, wired for a new AC unit, put in a new panel, put in a new surge protector for the house and then put in two NEMA 14-50 plugs and the total for all the work with taxes AND BC Hydro was less than $7K. The electricians bill, inclusive of taxes was just over $6000 and the Hydro portion was $496 (I just checked my hydro account). My electrician looked after all permits and scheduling.

Last edited: