Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

electronic rodent repellent for model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Several messages mention using Loraffe ultrasonic Under Hood Animal Repellers in a Tesla model 3. I was about to buy one of them but when I checked the Loraffe website I was surprised to see above an image of an EV a red banner with a large X in it and labelled Electric or Hybrid Electric Vehicles. Beneath that it said "No suggested for electric or hybrid electric vehicles" and then "Not suggested using in the electric or hybrid electric vehicles, or vehicles with battery pack located in the rear."

I wonder what the possible problem might be that this is warning us about. Can anyone suggest something? Do we collectively have enough experience /evidence that this can be safely ignored?

Reactions: MikeHawk
Several messages mention using Loraffe ultrasonic Under Hood Animal Repellers in a Tesla model 3. I was about to buy one of them but when I checked the Loraffe website I was surprised to see above an image of an EV a red banner with a large X in it and labelled Electric or Hybrid Electric Vehicles. Beneath that it said "No suggested for electric or hybrid electric vehicles" and then "Not suggested using in the electric or hybrid electric vehicles, or vehicles with battery pack located in the rear."

I wonder what the possible problem might be that this is warning us about. Can anyone suggest something? Do we collectively have enough experience /evidence that this can be safely ignored?
Can you link to the specific webpage that shows the "Not suggested using in electric vehicles"? All the models I see in the Loraffe website are either powered by the car 12-24v battery or by AA batteries, and they just emit an ultrasonic sound and pulses of bright light. I see no problems whatsoever with using them in or around any EV.

Upvote 0
Can you link to the specific webpage that shows the "Not suggested using in electric vehicles"? All the models I see in the Loraffe website are either powered by the car 12-24v battery or by AA batteries, and they just emit an ultrasonic sound and pulses of bright light. I see no problems whatsoever with using them in or around any EV.

Upvote 0
The only reason I can see why they state "Not suggested using in the Electric or Hybrid Electric Vehicles, or vehicles with battery pack located in the rear" is that on EVs or hybrids the 12v battery might not be easy to get to or is in the trunk. That would make it harder for most people to install the device, and could cause a higher rate of returns or customer dissatisfaction.

Upvote 0

Maybe the 12v electrical drain has caused some errors for EVs

Reactions: TBrownTX
Upvote 0
Some Loraffe automatically sense when internal combustion engine is running, so they can automatically tyrn off when the car is being driven. (Incidentally, how do they do that?)
In an EV maybe they would run all the time. Is that true? That would be unnecessary, but would it be a problem? When the EV is running the 12v is being charged. Would this damage the Loraffe?

Upvote 0
Some Loraffe automatically sense when internal combustion engine is running, so they can automatically tyrn off when the car is being driven. (Incidentally, how do they do that?)
In an EV maybe they would run all the time. Is that true? That would be unnecessary, but would it be a problem? When the EV is running the 12v is being charged. Would this damage the Loraffe?
From the answer to a question on Amazon:
"The maximum current draw of the wired rodent repellent is 0.05A per hour (at 12 volts, it actually draws less and less current as the battery voltage decreases), and the maximum power consumption per hour is 0.05A*12V=0.6W.

This repellent is designed to protect your car battery while driving. The sensitivity is set moderate in order to prevent constant standby time caused by small vibrations. it's designed to shut off when it senses the normal vibration that occurs while driving. If the vehicle is in idle, the vibration may not be strong enough for the repellent to detect."
Amazon.com: Customer Questions & Answers

As for why they don't suggest for hybrids/EVs:
"It is not suggested to use this product in a hybrid because the 12 volt battery is located in the trunk. We recommend using the Loraffe battery operated under hood animal repeller. Amazon.com"
Amazon.com: Customer Questions & Answers

Upvote 0