Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon Deletes Tesla and SpaceX Facebook Pages!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Facebook didn't allow anything to happen. People using the platform did... Take responsibility for your own actions and stop blaming the platform, it's just ridiculous...

Jeff

What Facebook did is allow a bunch of people who mean us harm to yell fire at the proverbial movie theater and then you taking the position that all these people got hurt because they should have known better than to not rush out of the movie theater based on false information.

People are justifiably sick and tired of Facebook allowing society to be harmed and then pretending like it is not their problem for the harm caused by them.

Reactions: P85Dave
Let us agree to disagree on that.

And based on this thread, FWIW, Elon disagrees with your assessment.

LOL... Yeah I don't subscribe to that kind of validation... Elon can do whatever he wants, I don't always agree with his decisions and I sure as heck don't blindly follow... For instance, it's stupid to prioritize pedestrians and bikes over cars in his new boring operation... Just to name one of many things...

The reality here is we've come to a point in society where taking responsibility is too hard, we must be spoon fed and whatever we're spoon fed must be true and it's on the person doing the feeding to make sure that's being adhered to... That's freaking ridiculous... Facebook is in hot water because people are lazy, ignorant, and tribal. Blaming Facebook is sort of like blaming fast food companies for fat people...

Jeff

4-5 years ago the Obama campaign openly gloated about what they did with Facebook. Now it turns out a Republican linked group did the same on a smaller scale and it is the end of the world. Idiotic at best.

Besides datamining and selling that data is THE business model.

Neither me wife or I ever joined.

Oh give me a break. The Obama campaign used Facebook to get their message out.

Not co-opt with the Russian Intelligence to spread disinformation and hate.

I bet you'd like to pretend this is not real.

What Facebook did is allow a bunch of people who mean us harm to yell fire at the proverbial movie theater and then you taking the position that all these people got hurt because they should have known better than to not rush out of the movie theater based on false information.

People are justifiably sick and tired of Facebook allowing society to be harmed and then pretending like it is not their problem for the harm caused by them.

Ugh... So it's like this, personal responsibility is dead.

Jeff

Shouldn't he delete youtube also? I mean they and Facebook use the same human vulnerabilities to keep the users as long as possible on their platform- I don't get the Facebook hysteria.

Yep, but that doesn't fit with the mob mentality narrative going around right now... Eventually the mob will get tired of targeting Facebook then they'll move to Twitter or Youtube or anything else other than personal responsibility...

Jeff

Ugh... So it's like this, personal responsibility is dead.
As has been stated repeatedly, FB uses sophisticated algorithms to feed its members individually targeted content it labels “News” that conforms with the biases and prejudices those same members have expressed on FB. That is reprehensible. No responsible news organization does that. And newspapers and TV news and other more traditional new operations cannot do that because their audience doesn’t provide them that kind of individual personal information.

You are welcome to bemoan the loss of “personal responsibility”. You and I grew up in a world without the internet and microtargeting and AI. But that doesn’t change the reality we are living in today, where FB AI can and does alter people’s behavior in ways that have serious consequences, and FB does it deliberately in pursuit of profit.

Yes, most humans have a very limited capacity for objective, critical analysis. But I cannot excuse what FB does by saying “people should be smarter and not believe everything they read online”. That’s just a fantasy, not a solution. Those humans vote and effect the lives of everyone, with sometimes disastrous consequences, like the #lyinglunatic.

Reactions: DriverOne
As has been stated repeatedly, FB uses sophisticated algorithms to feed its members individually targeted content it labels “News” that conforms with the biases and prejudices those same members have expressed on FB. That is reprehensible. No responsible news organization does that. And newspapers and TV news and other more traditional new operations cannot do that because their audience doesn’t provide them that kind of individual personal information.

You are welcome to bemoan the loss of “personal responsibility”. You and I grew up in a world without the internet and microtargeting and AI. But that doesn’t change the reality we are living in today, where FB AI can and does alter people’s behavior in ways that have serious consequences, and FB does it deliberately in pursuit of profit.

Yes, most humans have a very limited capacity for objective, critical analysis. But I cannot excuse what FB does by saying “people should be smarter and not believe everything they read online”. That’s just a fantasy, not a solution. Those humans vote and effect the lives of everyone, with sometimes disastrous consequences, like the #lyinglunatic.

Then I guess I'm the only one that bothers to check if what I'm reading is real... My wife and I spend time researching the stuff we read to know whether it's fake or not... That clearly puts us in the minority...

I hear you but I'm just not comfortable with the idea that it's okay to blindly trust whoever holding the spoon that's feeding you so long as what they're feeding is what you're hungry for... It's not that I don't get the human psychology of this, I absolutely do, perhaps I'm just disappointed in my fellow human...

Jeff

Then I guess I'm the only one that bothers to check if what I'm reading is real...
Yes Jeff, I’m sure what you say is accurate. You are the only one... ;)
I'm just not comfortable with the idea that it's okay to blindly trust whoever holding the spoon that's feeding you so long as what they're feeding is what you're hungry for..
I am not aware that anyone in this discussion is saying that.

But in my opinion many humans do exactly what you describe: they believe what they read or see on the “news” (on FB or elsewhere) if it conforms with their pre-existing beliefs, biases, and prejudices. In fact we all do that to some extent. Some of us are better than others when it comes to critical analysis. But we are all susceptible to confirmation bias.

An organization like FB, with over 2 billion users, has a greater responsibility than much smaller news organizations (which of course still need to be responsible and ethical) to ensure that their users are not fed information labeled as “news” when in fact it is myths, lies, allegations dressed up as facts, or simply hate-filled vitriol. But that is what the FB AI algorithms do if the algorithm determines that is what will keep the user on the site longer, which means they can be exposed to more ads to make more money for FB. I honestly think you do not fully grasp just how insidious that business plan is.

A responsible news organization uses professional journalists as editors to determine what is newsworthy, what is factual, what is in the public interest, what should be reported on what should not. Those human editors are of course, only human, and imperfect. They can make mistakes, and they all have their own biases.

But they are humans, not an AI that is optimized to maximize profit. There is a huge difference.

Last edited:
I see this as people who dislike the outcome of the last election can't believe that people purposefully voted for Trump. They think they only explanation is that people were tricked and that's Fox News and Facebooks fault....and not Hillarys.

We already know that there are a minority of idiots out there. We just don't need political actors confusing others to join that group. It is proven that if someone is presented with untruths over and over, they have the likelihood of eventually embracing the misinformation.

I work with data all day long and it is amazing what is available for marketing. This is very different from what Facebook is in trouble for but your information if being sold everywhere.

Credit Card transactions - what you are buying, how often, how much
Rewards Cards - what you are buying, how often, how much
Gift Registries - Are you having a baby, baby gender or you getting married
County Assessor - Where you live and how much you paid for your house
Magazine Subscriptions - I know what your into, name, address....
Oil Changes / Maintenance Shops - What type of vehicle, mileage, address etc...I don't have much info on Tesla owners :)
Ailments - You can determine a lot of this from your purchases.
Online History - When you login to a website the tracking history begins. If you are using two factor with your phone number that is a bonus for matching purposes.
License Plates - There are companies that has lots of cameras on vehicles that read license plates and record their location.
Utility Connections - I might know your phone number before it is even hooked up.

• Informative
Reactions: jeffro01
Um, I like Ayn Rand, voted for Trump, and am a life long NRA member...and yet I still have a Tesla. Go figure.
Me too. As someone who was victimized by Obama's weaponization of the IRS (which those who now rail against Facebook applauded at the time) I get a chuckle out of the complaints that dumb Facebook posts are somehow a threat to civilization.

I think it's also amusing that the people who turned a blind eye, and even celebrated, Obama's crimes are now outraged that someone else may have took a page from his playbook. I stopped using Facebook a long time ago but I am pretty sure that most people don't change their votes based on what some social media account says.

Me too. As someone who was victimized by Obama's weaponization of the IRS (which those who now rail against Facebook applauded at the time) I get a chuckle out of the complaints that dumb Facebook posts are somehow a threat to civilization.

I think it's also amusing that the people who turned a blind eye, and even celebrated, Obama's crimes are now outraged that someone else may have took a page from his playbook. I stopped using Facebook a long time ago but I am pretty sure that most people don't change their votes based on what some social media account says.

I think you need to lighten up on the tin foil... "weaponization of the IRS"? LOL... I know I'm going to get into trouble for taking the bait but this is just silly... "Obama's crimes"...??? LOL... Man when President Orange Clown said he loved the poorly educated, he wasn't kidding...

At some point, some of you will need to rejoin the rest of us in realityville...

Jeff

• Love
Reactions: Electricious