Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon: "Feature complete for full self driving this year"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
FC will not be L5 by the end of this year!
I've been guilty of. after I hit enter on something, looking at it perplexed saying, "that isn't what I wrote". I believe the answer is, my brain works much faster than my fingers.
The premise of my argument is FC is orthogonal to L5. To a software person, feature complete has a very unambiguous meaning. Whether the training database is Belgium traffic signs or dress designs or people (my car recognizes my wife walking to the garage door but not a jogger jogging towards me) if the neural net isn't sufficiently trained it will never be deemed L5 because it cannot be trusted to get it right 90+n / 100 times or 990+n/1000. And that is something SAE fails, to my knowledge, to address. How accurate does it need to be in order to be unsupervised. This is why I say it can be deemed feature complete and be capable of L5 yet still require better training/validation data sets before the nags get disabled and hand on steering wheel is optional.

Note: I am not saying it will be at the end of the year, I believe it will. I am saying it can be but still require further testing and/or bigger and better training.

I've been guilty of. after I hit enter on something, looking at it perplexed saying, "that isn't what I wrote". I believe the answer is, my brain works much faster than my fingers.
The premise of my argument is FC is orthogonal to L5. To a software person, feature complete has a very unambiguous meaning. Whether the training database is Belgium traffic signs or dress designs or people (my car recognizes my wife walking to the garage door but not a jogger jogging towards me) if the neural net isn't sufficiently trained it will never be deemed L5 because it cannot be trusted to get it right 90+n / 100 times or 990+n/1000. And that is something SAE fails, to my knowledge, to address. How accurate does it need to be in order to be unsupervised. This is why I say it can be deemed feature complete and be capable of L5 yet still require better training/validation data sets before the nags get disabled and hand on steering wheel is optional.

Note: I am not saying it will be at the end of the year, I believe it will. I am saying it can be but still require further testing and/or bigger and better training.

I am trying to follow how SAE defines L5. Based on what I've read, FC will not meet the SAE definition of L5 by the end of this year IMO.

• Disagree
Reactions: electronblue
In the last day to two Elon has publicly stated that HW 2.0 and 2.5 should start being retrofitted with HW3.0 the 4th quarter. This is an example of something that has caused a quite a few to start shouting it from the rooftops. Do I believe it will actually happen? Nope I do not. Hopefully Ill have to come back at the end of December and eat my proverbial “hat” I would guess that chance in the low single digits as there may be a car to two updated just to proclaim that it was done

I may be misremembering, but I thought the previous FSD hardware projected timeline was summer 2019. Maybe that was always just production, but a lot of folks conflated that with retrofits (and have started trying to book appointments at service centers based on other threads)

My personal guess is summer 2020, but we will see. I still have that nagging in the back of my head that they will find some way "out" of upgrading us entirely and just getting some limited "FSD" feature running on our hardware and declaring that as done. But I am super cynical with Tesla lately.

Reactions: boonedocks
This is an over simplification, but still an excellent video:
The tweaking of the system in Tesla's case is largely (but not entirely) the feedback drivers give when they take the wheel back from autopilot. There's also a lot of manual data labeling that was alluded to in autonomy day.
Vice news did a good piece on this here:

Once Tesla is reasonably confident that the shadow mode driving NN doesn't differ from the way the real world drivers are driving (validating the system that had been trained by previous data inputs, Validation Mock 1) then they probably upgrade it from development to production. Once its in production every mile that autopilot drives without drivers disengaging it equates to additional validation (given certain inputs the NN makes a driving output that you as a driver by not disagreeing with the choice of have effectively validated, Validation Mock 2). At some point Tesla goes to DC and says "hey look at this validation, people don't have to drive the car themselves ever". Then DC people will go, Ok then, you can turn off the need to hold the wheel and we will let the empty car drive itself.
Look at what this software put after you sent your last...thank you. What I clipped above is what didn't get displayed. All I saw was two YouTube vids with one text line in between.
So your validation set is the set of disengagements. It sounds like you are agreeing with me or is that too simplistic. Let's take the case of disengagements. What is the feedback loop there. More training data or more if-then-else coding?
Cutting to the chase. Is it, in your opinion, feasible that auto steer, NoA, autopark, auto retrieve driver can be feature complete (the software definition) yet still not be deemed ready for SAE level 5 designation? Seems to me, for instance, recognizing a person walking away from you but not recognizing a jogger coming towards you is a training issue not an if-then-else issue.

On the vids. I was also one of the leads in the search development at Monster. Much of that video was in the domain of Lucene and Mahout. Neither I would consider machine learning.

I am trying to follow how SAE defines L5. Based on what I've read, FC will not meet the SAE definition of L5 by the end of this year IMO.
How does SAE define feature complete? I differentiate feature complete from training complete.
The other thing is, I believe Elon Musk, whether one loves him or hates him is far closer to the state of FSD at Tesla than any of us. So the choices are one of two things, he is either with full knowledge and forethought bold face lying to owners, investors, investor advisory firms, and the street at large -- or -- he is making a factually truthful statement.

Look at what this software put after you sent your last...thank you. What I clipped above is what didn't get displayed. All I saw was two YouTube vids with one text line in between.
So your validation set is the set of disengagements. It sounds like you are agreeing with me or is that too simplistic. Let's take the case of disengagements. What is the feedback loop there. More training data or more if-then-else coding?
Cutting to the chase. Is it, in your opinion, feasible that auto steer, NoA, autopark, auto retrieve driver can be feature complete (the software definition) yet still not be deemed ready for SAE level 5 designation? Seems to me, for instance, recognizing a person walking away from you but not recognizing a jogger coming towards you is a training issue not an if-then-else issue.

On the vids. I was also one of the leads in the search development at Monster. Much of that video was in the domain of Lucene and Mahout. Neither I would consider machine learning.

I would say probably a combination of training data and if-then-else coding as well as data labeling. Given Musks statement about EAP I would guess they are doing a lot of parking lot data labeling, which is then fed in to systems for training models. Somewhere in there there is most likely some if-then-else coding in regards of how to handle varying degrees of certainty and such.

When it comes to whether or not I think FSD will happen I think it important to offer my perception of what that is:
To me FSD is basically what NoA does now, but on city streets. Given the complexity of city streets compared to highways there will be some additional complexity to how it handles uncertainty (stop immediately and require human intervention or veer away from a uncertain path/obstacle but continuing driving to prevent getting rear ended). The car will effectively be able to drive 90% of the time, but will occasionally say "oh *sugar* I don't know what is going on, take over for me", and do so in a safe manner. I expect you could go multiple days to and from work, the store and your kids school with FC FSD without ever having to take over. But then occasionally something will happen that will require you to do something. These moments when people take over will teach the system a lot, which will reduce the frequency of these events.

This system will not legally be able to drive itself with no passenger because regulators are not engineers, and they will want to see millions of miles in the real world validated by proof that drivers don't need to disengage AP. Also so that an empty car doesn't get confused and cause traffic jams by getting stuck in front of a pothole or strange street art.

When it comes to whether I think that will happen by the end of the year, beats me. I think the current AP version that everyone is using is completely irrelevant to that question, and the only people who can really speak to that are either Tesla employees working in that department, or the people at Autonomy day who trialed the development version. Given Tasha Keeney of Ark Invests opinion I would say my definition of FC FSD could well happen by the end of the year, but I don't base that off of anything other than the fact that people who seem to know what they are talking about who were given first hand experience seem to be saying. I don't think anyone with any amount of industry knowledge that has not had first hand experience with the development version of autopilot can honestly claim to have any more knowledge than anyone else on the forum. Even given how technical Autonomy day was they were very vague as to how the system works and how well it is performing on corner cases that would be of concern. And for good reason, thats the secret sauce.

So short answer, since the big money with in depth knowledge on the subject and first hand experience with not only Tesla but many other self driving plays seems confident in FC soon and Taxis in 1-3 years, I think the wise answer is to believe them. Nobody outside of either of those circles can fairly claim a superior perspective even if there were the foremost expert in NN and Machine Learning at MIT, because the most important parts of knowing one companies specific progress is for the most part only knowable with first hand experience.

How does SAE define feature complete? I differentiate feature complete from training complete.
The other thing is, I believe Elon Musk, whether one loves him or hates him is far closer to the state of FSD at Tesla than any of us. So the choices are one of two things, he is either with full knowledge and forethought bold face lying to owners, investors, investor advisory firms, and the street at large -- or -- he is making a factually truthful statement.
Basically I agree. I think the Robo Taxi timeline is probably wishful thinking because thats a regulatory issue and not a engineering one, but I believe Musk sincerely believe FC by end of year and has a logical reason to believe that based on evidence rather than random numbers.

Last edited:

We had a bit of this discussion in the FSD features complete tracking wiki: Tracking FSD Feature Complete

SAE or other lists of features describe the "What" but they don't describe the "How well?" Feature complete is simply "Does it do the thing?" not "Does it do the thing well?"

You're taking Elon Musk's statements way too literally. He said Enhanced Summon would be released "next week" three months ago. There are a ton of other examples as well. "3 months maybe, 6 months definitely" for FSD features still hasn't happened 2.5 years later...

The premise of my argument is FC is orthogonal to L5. To a software person, feature complete has a very unambiguous meaning.
Only if the person knows exactly what features are to be implemented. But what does, for example, "automatic city driving" encompass? Is it just the capability to recognize stop signs and traffic lights, or does it include complete semantic understanding of the environment? Does it include things like knowing how to detect and deal with double-parked cars? Or driving even if the camera view is occluded by a big Fedex truck? "Automatic city driving" is an enormously complex task. Unless Tesla releases a detailed feature list, it's impossible to measure whether they are "feature complete" or not (which I suspect is intentional).

I would say probably a combination of training data and if-then-else coding as well as data labeling. Given Musks statement about EAP I would guess they are doing a lot of parking lot data labeling, which is then fed in to systems for training models. Somewhere in there there is most likely some if-then-else coding in regards of how to handle varying degrees of certainty and such.

When it comes to whether or not I think FSD will happen I think it important to offer my perception of what that is:
To me FSD is basically what NoA does now, but on city streets. Given the complexity of city streets compared to highways there will be some additional complexity to how it handles uncertainty (stop immediately and require human intervention or veer away from a uncertain path/obstacle but continuing driving to prevent getting rear ended). The car will effectively be able to drive 90% of the time, but will occasionally say "oh *sugar* I don't know what is going on, take over for me", and do so in a safe manner. I expect you could go multiple days to and from work, the store and your kids school with FC FSD without ever having to take over. But then occasionally something will happen that will require you to do something. These moments when people take over will teach the system a lot, which will reduce the frequency of these events.

This system will not legally be able to drive itself with no passenger because regulators are not engineers, and they will want to see millions of miles in the real world validated by proof that drivers don't need to disengage AP. Also so that an empty car doesn't get confused and cause traffic jams by getting stuck in front of a pothole or strange street art.

When it comes to whether I think that will happen by the end of the year, beats me. I think the current AP version that everyone is using is completely irrelevant to that question, and the only people who can really speak to that are either Tesla employees working in that department, or the people at Autonomy day who trialed the development version. Given Tasha Keeney of Ark Invests opinion I would say my definition of FC FSD could well happen by the end of the year, but I don't base that off of anything other than the fact that people who seem to know what they are talking about who were given first hand experience seem to be saying. I don't think anyone with any amount of industry knowledge that has not had first hand experience with the development version of autopilot can honestly claim to have any more knowledge than anyone else on the forum. Even given how technical Autonomy day was they were very vague as to how the system works and how well it is performing on corner cases that would be of concern. And for good reason, thats the secret sauce.

So short answer, since the big money with in depth knowledge on the subject and first hand experience with not only Tesla but many other self driving plays seems confident in FC soon and Taxis in 1-3 years, I think the wise answer is to believe them. Nobody outside of either of those circles can fairly claim a superior perspective even if there were the foremost expert in NN and Machine Learning at MIT, because the most important parts of knowing one companies specific progress is for the most part only knowable with first hand experience.

Basically I agree. I think the Robo Taxi timeline is probably wishful thinking because thats a regulatory issue and not a engineering one, but I believe Musk sincerely believe FC by end of year and has a logical reason to believe that based on evidence rather than random numbers.
I would add one other thing to the FSD definition... Auto Park and Auto Retrieve. Musk did say drop you off and come pick you up. But to do that the car would have to know how to park in an empty parking lot. Right now, it requires a space flanked by two cars either perpendicular or parallel. Auto Park and Retrieve may well be part of Enhanced Summon / Autopark.

Thank you Pete! Just out of curiosity you come out of MIT AI Lab? Also, are you familiar with Aggarwal's Neural Networks and Deep Learning book?

We had a bit of this discussion in the FSD features complete tracking wiki: Tracking FSD Feature Complete

SAE or other lists of features describe the "What" but they don't describe the "How well?" Feature complete is simply "Does it do the thing?" not "Does it do the thing well?"
One the surface I'd go with that except, it kinda does address 'how well' if only indirectly. To not require supervision implies pretty damn well. Whether that is 99% 99.9%, 99.999 carrier grade or better. As Musk told Ark, after next summer for 'take a nap' driveability will come the march of 9's.

I would add one other thing to the FSD definition... Auto Park and Auto Retrieve. Musk did say drop you off and come pick you up. But to do that the car would have to know how to park in an empty parking lot. Right now, it requires a space flanked by two cars either perpendicular or parallel. Auto Park and Retrieve may well be part of Enhanced Summon / Autopark.

Thank you Pete! Just out of curiosity you come out of MIT AI Lab? Also, are you familiar with Aggarwal's Neural Networks and Deep Learning book?

Lol I wish on the MIT thing, I have built some basic NN that do image recognition and some machine learning models for some marketing analysis, but both entirely open source and for my own knowledge and nothing that would resemble anything groundbreaking. Not familar with the book either.

Only if the person knows exactly what features are to be implemented. But what does, for example, "automatic city driving" encompass? Is it just the capability to recognize stop signs and traffic lights, or does it include complete semantic understanding of the environment? Does it include things like knowing how to detect and deal with double-parked cars? Or driving even if the camera view is occluded by a big Fedex truck? "Automatic city driving" is an enormously complex task. Unless Tesla releases a detailed feature list, it's impossible to measure whether they are "feature complete" or not (which I suspect is intentional).
That's an outstanding point Deb! I think this is why that last question, or close to last question from Investor Day is so relevant. "So, just to sum up, feature complete, Level 5, no geofencing end of year", followed by 'Yes".

Waymo is already running robotaxis and has permission to do so without a safety driver. It's not a regulatory issue.

It is because Waymo was granted permission to do that, in a VERY limited capacity in a very geofenced location. I would categorize the Waymo rides as mostly a gimmick. It's not meaningful in any sense at scale. Nor is it a particularly grand accomplishment. UofM has had a self driving bus on north campus for awhile now as well.

Self-driving electric shuttle buses to begin at University of Michigan

It is because Waymo was granted permission to do that, in a VERY limited capacity in a very geofenced location. I would categorize the Waymo rides as mostly a gimmick. It's not meaningful in any sense at scale. Nor is it a particularly grand accomplishment. UofM has had a self driving bus on north campus for awhile now as well.

Self-driving electric shuttle buses to begin at University of Michigan
They can operate in California and Arizona. Do you have any evidence that they couldn't get permission to operate in all of California and Arizona? Isn't it more likely that the reason they don't do so is because there would be no benefit to them?

He said Enhanced Summon would be released "next week" three months ago.
He said it again either this morning or yesterday morning again. What that gap tells me is what will get released in the next iteration will be the next evolution. Whether one thinks end of year is a pipe dream or, um, some other kind of dream. The closer we get to end of year the more certainty is achieved on either side of the debate.

• Funny
Reactions: Daniel in SD
They can operate in California and Arizona. Do you have any evidence that they couldn't get permission to operate in all of California and Arizona? Isn't it more likely that the reason they don't do so is because there would be no benefit to them?

Googling "Waymo Permission" resulted in this:
Waymo gets permission to pick up California passengers with autonomous cars

TechCrunch confirmed the California Public Utilities Commission (CPUC) gavethe permit to the Alphabet-powered company, granting its employees and their lucky friends and fam to try out the vehicles (limited to the Chrysler Pacifica at the moment, but soon to include the Jaguar I-PACE) within a predetermined area of South Bay near L.A., including the neighbourhoods of Palo Alto, Los Altos Hills, Los Altos, Mountain View and Sunnyvale.