Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon: "Feature complete for full self driving this year"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Geofencing is actually required by law.

It’s not technical limitation. Per regulation- all L4 operator needs to demonstrate reliability of it system with in area of operation during testing. Only hitting the threshold before license for operation can be granted.

Waymo doesn’t need a license to operarate because it is a level 4 autonomous vehicle. It needs it because it is operating as a taxi.

One must wonder if the various controversy and lawsuits around FSD is responsible for much of this

Probably part of it. But more so the problem is Elon. It seems like every day he’s making me more embarrassed to drive a tesla. I’m able to separate the company from the person, but a lot of other people don’t. I didn’t buy the car because of him and it sucks that people associate him with tesla drivers. I wish he’d step down as Tesla CEO while he does all his antagonistic man-child nonsense as Twitter CEO.

One must wonder if the various controversy and lawsuits around FSD is responsible for much of this

LOL.

1670881737998.png

Tesla legal already stated FSD is a failure in court.

Except, they did not actually say that

Your own link provides what they actually said which is

Tesla said:
mere failure to realize a long-term, aspirational goal is not fraud

If you are 100 lbs overweight- and you start a diet with a long-term aspirational goal of losing 100 lbs... and 6 months in you have lost some amount less than that- but you have, and are continuing to, lose weight.... is the diet a failure? Or have you simply, thus far, failed to reach your goal?

(hint: it's the second one despite many folks seeming to misquote Tesla as saying the first one)

In addition-

Let me clarify how self driving certification and SAE definition works.

In majority of L4 certification requirement-
The license to test L4 function is given by local authority in US (sandbox- geo fencing). Only when the operator demonstrate reliable operation before operating license is given.

If everyone bother to read SAE J3616 definition clearly mentioned that geo fencing is needed for L4 certification.

Literally 0 of that is accurate.

First- it's J3016....not J3616

Second- there is no geofence requirement whatsoever for L4 certification.

Which you're at it, there's no such thing as "L4 certification" in the SAE3016 doc you meant to reference.

They define what L4 is, but say nothing about "certifying" it in any way.

That said -It's entirely possible to have a system that is L4 under J3016 definitions with no geofence at all

L4 system by its architecture was never limited to certain geographic area.

Didn't you just- wrongly- tell us like 5 sentences ago that "geo fencing is needed for L4 certification"?

Granted that quote makes no sense and is wrong, but you did say it- only to say the opposite shortly after??

Because from day one it’s already capable of regenerate 4D environment surround the vehicle (4th dimension- means object speed, direction of movement is also scanned real-time)

...what kind of dressing do you recommend for that word salad?

Again- nothing in SAE J3016s definition of L4 has any such wording about how or what the car handles "scanning" or "regenerating" anything.

Elon lost me when he used my money ("mine" as in I own shares of Tesla, so some of that money is mine) to speculate in bitcoin. If he wants to speculate, he should use his own money. Tesla is a car company, not a hedge fund. He's been going downhill since then.

Ever since I bought my car with EAP (and rejected "FSD") I've been saying that selling "FSD" with the promise that it would become what its name implies, before FSD actually existed, was dishonest. A farmer can sell wheat futures because wheat actually exists, and the farmer regularly grows it, and can reasonably be expected to plant the crop he/she is promising to deliver. And the futures contract specifies the penalty for failure to deliver, in case of a poor crop or other disaster. And the farmer probably buys insurance against that eventuality.

Elon and Tesla were selling "FSD" futures when FSD did not exist, when it was not possible to know for certain if or when it would exist, and without any specified penalty for failure to deliver. They specified that the delivery date was uncertain, but they told me (and other car buyers) "If you pay for FSD now, your car will be robotaxi-capable." "YOUR" car means the actual car that you're buying, and that means that FSD will be delivered during the reasonably-expected lifetime of YOUR car.

Elon was making promises he could not keep and has not kept. And that, if not criminal, is dishonest. If not fraud, it's sleaze of the lowest sort.

I'm not ashamed or embarrassed to drive a Tesla because few carmakers, and no American ones, are any better. And my Model 3 (with EAP, not FSD) is still the best car on the road. I had to go to Kahalui today, and 90% of that was on the highway, where it drove itself flawlessly. And now it even recognizes the highway as "divided" (which it is) so it's no longer limited to 5 mph over the speed limit. Nobody here drives slower than ten over the limit.

Hi, welcome to TMC. 😂
When this kind of crap posting was limited to the political threads and $TSLA stock threads, I didn't mind it so much.

But now it has spread to just about every thread here on TMC.

It used to be that TMC was a valuable source of information, but has since devolved into pages and pages of nothing but people (on both sides) twisting stuff around to serve their own agenda.

The signal to noise ratio has gotten out of control. I never thought that Reddit would end up being a better place for Tesla discussion than TMC.

When this kind of crap posting was limited to the political threads and $TSLA stock threads, I didn't mind it so much.

But now it has spread to just about every thread here on TMC.

It used to be that TMC was a valuable source of information, but has since devolved into pages and pages of nothing but people (on both sides) twisting stuff around to serve their own agenda.

The signal to noise ratio has gotten out of control. I never thought that Reddit would end up being a better place for Tesla discussion than TMC.
Are you referring to: