Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hindsight is 2020 🤷‍♂️. Tesla has not given me any reason not to be disappointed! Service is a mess (most recent experience as of yesterday and issue still has not been fixed), Charlatan has been selling and stealing money for FSD level 5 (as per my 2016 FSD contract) etc.
I know I asked someone else in PA this question a while back, so if it was you, just ignore this... But which service center? I've had a couple decent interactions with the Princeton service center which is about equidistant for us from the Devon center. If you're out west, then I have no idea.

Reactions: impastu
I know I asked someone else in PA this question a while back, so if it was you, just ignore this... But which service center? I've had a couple decent interactions with the Princeton service center which is about equidistant for us from the Devon center. If you're out west, then I have no idea.
Cherry hill. I usually take the appointment that fits my schedule between Cherry hill or Devon. I may try Princeton next. Is Princeton same as Lawrence service center?

My respect for Elon just went up. That Whole Mars tweet is so dumb.
Agreed. However for every "sensible" reaction (which are very few) Elon makes countless others, encouraging exactly the opposite sentiment that FSD is vastly better than it is.

It's almost like he wants the occasional safety-conscious statement to be on record. IDK

Agreed. However for every "sensible" reaction (which are very few) Elon makes countless others, encouraging exactly the opposite sentiment that FSD is vastly better than it is.

It's almost like he wants the occasional safety-conscious statement to be on record. IDK
My reading of his "Sheer luck" response is not exactly that he was correcting or moderating Whole Mars. Rather thanthe was being sarcastic against the Green Hills guy, whose over-the-top complaints would have you believe that the car could not possibly execute a drive like this without several major disruptions and dangerous maneuvers, if not a fatal accident. With this interpretation, I pretty much agree with Elon's response - but I wouldn't be praising him for cutting Whole Mars' enthusiasm dow to reality, I don’t think that was his point.

Obviously the realistic interpretation of current FSD Beta is somewhere within the huge gulf between the Whole Mars devotion and the Green Hills spectre of deaths by the million. The no-intervention drive as posted is not too surprising; FSD is now showing to be pretty good in normal driving. But we know there's indeed an element of luck involved if you make it without any take-overs.

Whole Mars is wearing rose-colored glasses but is basically harmless, entertaining and helps by drawing info from Elon. The Green Hills CEO has shown to be a bit crazy and completely non-credible. I used to be fairly skeptical of some of the TSLAQ kind of conspiracy allegations, but people like him and Gordon Johnson make it hard to deny.

Had one experience at Devon and was not very positive.

I've used Lancaster a few times now and am very happy with them.

• Informative
Reactions: impastu and cobra
Can't blame you. Afterall Elon didn't put a winking emoji ;)
I finally looked up what they're talking about. I swear Tesla attracts the dumbest critics and the dumbest fans. The ad is factually accurate as far as I can tell but the conclusion is dumb. Every self-driving car starts off with this level of reliability, that's why it's beta. It's not possible to get to human performance without testing on public roads. Now, maybe Tesla's testing program isn't safe but the bullet points have nothing to do with that.
1642632064172.png

I swear Tesla attracts the dumbest critics and the dumbest fans.

What I've seen is financial interests getting in the way of objective thinking.

It's not just Tesla, but kind of how the world works these days. Where influencers are paid to push some agenda. Like China will cover your trip to China if you mention how great China is.

Heck in China you there are some classes where you have to get a certain amount of views/likes/followers on your social media to pass a class.

We're basically living in a Black Mirror Episode.

20220119_162207.jpg

Green Hills does a ton of business for the Defense Department and its contractors (which to be very clear I have no problem with as a general proposition). But the graphic above leaves them wide open for a little editing, where the Tesla is replaced by a missile drone and the parent & child dummies are replaced by an image of an innocent Afghan family.

I've argued many times that Teslas should be equipped with better-placed and better-performing cameras, so as to do a better job of determining the safety of unprotected left turns etc. Perception improvements leading to Decision improvements.

Perhaps Mr. Green Hills O'Dowd could help protect vulnerable civilians who didn't sign up to be part of his systems deployments, by seeing what he can do to feed back better qualiy video intelligence. The error rate of missile target identification seems to be much higher than the error rate of FSD beta accident avoidance. As he is presumably more of an expert in the former than the latter, I'd suggest that he should work on his own specialty.

As Elon recently said, "Room to improve"

Cherry hill. I usually take the appointment that fits my schedule between Cherry hill or Devon. I may try Princeton next. Is Princeton same as Lawrence service center?
Yes, it's in Lawrence Township... I just found out that putting Tesla Service in google, then expanding the hits with (show all) gives a map with the google ratings on it. Lawrence is rated 4.2 and Devon is rated 4.3/5, with the others mentioned in this thread being 4.7 or 4.8... so maybe I've just had easy things to work on at the Lawrence/Princeton center!

Reactions: am_dmd
I finally looked up what they're talking about. I swear Tesla attracts the dumbest critics and the dumbest fans. The ad is factually accurate as far as I can tell but the conclusion is dumb. Every self-driving car starts off with this level of reliability, that's why it's beta. It's not possible to get to human performance without testing on public roads. Now, maybe Tesla's testing program isn't safe but the bullet points have nothing to do with that.
View attachment 757598
Same arguments can be used against other L2 systems, driving assist, why aren't those attacked?

Because FSD Beta is not a driver assist system, it's a beta version of a robotaxi.
Can it be both? It won't be a robotaxi anytime soon and not with current hardware. In the words of that Tesla director that got fired: Elon's tweets do not match engineering reality. It will remain an assist system for many years to come, except in limited situations like stop and go traffic on limited access freeway.

Can it be both? It won't be a robotaxi anytime soon and not with current hardware. In the words of that Tesla director that got fired: Elon's tweets do not match engineering reality. It will remain an assist system for many years to come, except in limited situations like stop and go traffic on limited access freeway.
My opinion is that it can't safely be both but that certainly remains to be seen. I also question how many people really want to monitor such a system in the city where the required reaction time can be quite short. I think it would be far more effective to have an assist system that prevents a driver from crashing than having a driver who prevents the system from crashing.

Reactions: Terminator857
Last edited:
Because FSD Beta is not a driver assist system, it's a beta version of a robotaxi.
LOL ... I see someone desperately wants to "prove" something.

Need your hands on the wheel, eyes on the road all the time. For years the language that might suggest robotaxi like capability has been removed from website. Its ADAS.

As Mobileye says - there is now a clear differentiation between robotaxi (commercial) and consumer ADAS markets. Eventually consumer ADAS can become good enough to be robotaxis - but nobody including Tesla is there yet. Arguably Waymo is at there already but in a tiny ODD.

1642653047038.png