Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Terminator857

Aug 5, 2019
Ca
Last edited by a moderator:
Elon said:
FSD beta 9 is using the pure vision production code for highway driving. Beta 10 hopefully (Beta 11 definitely) will use one stack to rule them all – city streets, highway & complex parking lots.

Elon said:
Yes, a leap in improvements.

Seems like that guy might be trolling. A human driver would have just changed lanes into the gap instead of signaling and then giving up. Then they slow down, block the exit lane and other drivers pass them on the right... admittedly I have seen humans do that. haha
I wish Tesla would share their internal metrics for performance, it would be super interesting. I wonder if it's as simple as miles per disengagement or something more sophisticated.

Last edited:

Seems like that guy might be trolling. A human driver would have just changed lanes into the gap instead of signaling and then giving up. Then they slow down, block the exit lane and other drivers to pass them on the right...
I wish Tesla would share their internal metrics for performance, it would be super interesting. I wonder if it's as simple as miles per disengagement or something more sophisticated.

Yeah.. kinda what I was thinking. That is not at all human-like behaviour. v9 FSD clearly missed a gap that most humans wouldn't hesitate to take and instead chose a different route altogether.

Does NoA work on highways like rural highways or does it have to be limited access freeway?

Nope it does not work on rural highways

Elon said:
FSD beta 9 is using the pure vision production code for highway driving. Beta 10 hopefully (Beta 11 definitely) will use one stack to rule them all – city streets, highway & complex parking lots.

Yeah, I think that is the ultimate goal, to achieve that so-called "L5 feature complete", where the same unified software handles all driving (city streets, highways, and parking lots).

Well, Tesla told the CA DMV that they will consider FSD Beta to be L3+ when the intervention rate is 1-2M miles per intervention. I think Elon has also mentioned a rather vague "FSD needs to be much safer than humans". If Tesla has other metrics, they have not released them or told us what they are. I do wish Tesla would release data like other AV companies have done. I suspect Tesla is not releasing the data because it would make FSD look bad.

Does NoA work on highways like rural highways or does it have to be limited access freeway?

No. NOA only works on limited access freeways.

Reactions: Radish11 and DanCar
I suspect Tesla is not releasing the data because it would make FSD look bad.

If their intervention data was good, Elon would have already tweeted about it. Honestly from the videos, the intervention rate can be guesstimated since there are so many of them... But it looks like something miserable to the tune of once every 15 miles. The best way to solve this would be to geofence FSD Beta + exclude some maneuvers altogether while they figure out some of the obvious issues it is having. That seems to be the quickest path to a general release and I'm not sure why it seems to be off the table for Tesla.

The best way to solve this would be to geofence FSD Beta + exclude some maneuvers altogether while they figure out some of the obvious issues it is having. That seems to be the quickest path to a general release and I'm not sure why it seems to be off the table for Tesla.

I agree that it would the quickest path to general release. Other companies like Waymo have done it in order to deploy a public service before the FSD works reliably everywhere.

I think it is off the table because of Elon's obstinance. He seems to see geofencing as a sign of weakness, like your FSD is not real if it is geofenced. He wants to claim L5 or nothing. So he refuses to consider options like geofencing even if it makes deploying FSD harder and take longer.

Elon said:

Now the question of whether beta 10 will be the direct next release or they'll do a bunch of random revisions like 9.1, 9.2, etc in between...

I agree that it would the quickest path to general release. Other companies like Waymo have done it in order to deploy a public service before the FSD works reliably everywhere.

I think it is off the table because of Elon's obstinance. He seems to see geofencing as a sign of weakness, like your FSD is not real if it is geofenced. He wants to claim L5 or nothing. So he refuses to consider options like geofencing even if it makes deploying FSD harder and take longer.
I don't see it as being lesser than not geofencing, but an acknowledgement that autonomous driving is about bringing order to chaos.

Geofencing can help prevent people from driving in neighborhood areas to avoid traffic on the highway.
Geofencing can help restrict driving activities that slow everyone else down. Like being stuck behind that person who opts to take an impossible left.
When Geofencing is combined with path planning it allows city planners to better dictate where traffic flows.
Geofencing can restrict autonomous driving from some of the more dangerous parts of a city where there are clear infrastructure issues.

I think that whole L5 obsession is because its impossible. It's easier for fail if you have a ridiculous goal than it is to fail at a much easier task.

There is a very easy L4 task for Tesla, and that's automated highspeed driving in their boring tunnels.

Reactions: pilotSteve
If their intervention data was good, Elon would have already tweeted about it. Honestly from the videos, the intervention rate can be guesstimated since there are so many of them... But it looks like something miserable to the tune of once every 15 miles. The best way to solve this would be to geofence FSD Beta + exclude some maneuvers altogether while they figure out some of the obvious issues it is having. That seems to be the quickest path to a general release and I'm not sure why it seems to be off the table for Tesla.
I don't think its off the table for general release, and I think restricting it has always been the plan.

The FSD beta is already restricted in various ways like sometimes it will just sit there requiring the driver to get it going.

My bet is in 3 months we'll see the general release where its significantly more restricted than what we see with the FSD beta. The restrictions will mostly be in areas where it has to make a decision before going. Like uncontrolled lefts, and maybe even uncontrolled rights (ones onto highspeed roads are already restricted).

There will be an uproar, but I think most people will be okay with a slow prudent approach just like they took with stop lights/signs.

Reactions: rxlawdude
Elon:

That raises couple of questions:
  • Will Tesla release Beta 9 to general public? (sounded like their intent was to release 8, but then they concluded it not being "worth it")
  • When will Beta 11 come out for a) limited tester set, b) general public?

What if this is a regulatorily issue? Elon always believes in FSD. Most FDS beta videos looks great and is impressive with a few exceptions. I believe we'll always see the word Beta but I wonder if their concerned about the legal aspects.