Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon Should Read This [defective Interior camera issue dinging impacting my safety score]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It all started with a software update. The one that watches where your eyes are looking, and gives you a demerit if you take your eyes off the road for x seconds. If you get too many of these demerits then Tesla will take away your FSD. In my case I was getting dinged for not looking where I was going when my eyes were firmly planted on the road ahead. This would happen about every 3-5 miles or so on rural roads. Tesla thought the problem may be in the interior camera so they came to my driveway (after a 2-week wait) and replaced it. No test drive was done. I did that the next day, and before even leaving the driveway things started going strange. Backup camera was intermittent; pillar cameras were intermittent; rain sensing wipers would no longer sense rain; TACC inoperative; AP inoperative; visualizations on the info screen were gone; headlights would come on (in daytime); sentry mode would complain of a sentry system error; a near collision caused by an oncoming driver veering into my lane had no effect on the collision warning system. I am just waiting for the next failure to be a critical one and I'll be dead in the water. Looks to me like all these failures have one thing in common: vision. Any system requiring a camera won't work.

Believe it or not, I'm OK with this. Failures (and mistakes) happen. I get that. In the work I did things like this would come up ever so often so I can give Tesla a pass without much thought. But here's the thing... I should NOT have to go to the back of the line when these failures were obviously introduced by the service that was done to replace the camera. They tell me to drive it 80 miles to the nearest Tesla service center in two weeks and they will take a look at it. That's really bad business. Since they introduced this problem they should jump on it right away and fix it. I asked the service center, so what happens in 2 weeks when it is repaired and then on my way home everything starts failing as before. I go to the back of the line again? Well, it seems that is the case, since the answer to that was that they would get it in to see what's wrong at the first "available" time. You mean 2 weeks? They said "first available time". Wow. This is NOT how a customer should be treated. If I was running the show someone in my shop would be working overtime to get the customer's problem corrected.

I'm posting this because, to be honest, I'm pissed at Tesla. Also, new Tesla owners should be aware that in some cases, Tesla service leaves a lot to be desired. But if you're planning on getting one don't let that stop you. You won't regret it. It'll make you smile every mile.