Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

If you have reoccurring condensation on the INSIDE of your front camera, read this

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

joebruin77

Dec 23, 2018
Encino, CA
I have had a reoccurring problem of condensation forming on the inside of the cover over my front camera. The condensation then causes my front camera to have trouble seeing clearly and I would get frequent "front camera is blocked" error messages. As a result, I can't use my enhanced autopilot.

Today Tesla mobile service came to my house to clean my camera cover and the technician discovered the likely cause. There is a part around the camera called the quad cover. He said there was a small crack in the quad cover that would allow moisture to enter. He said that once the quad cover is replaced, this should fix the problem.

As for why the quad cover cracked in the first place, he said it may have been caused by excessive heat. I do park my car outside all the time and the front of the car faces the strong afternoon sun every day. After the quad cover is replaced, I plan to park my car in the opposite direction to prevent the afternoon sun from hitting the camera.

So if you are experiencing the same problem, closely inspect your front camera quad cover to see if it is cracked.

Hope that helps,
Joe

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
Just in case anyone else runs into this problem with condensation forming inside the front camera, Tesla service came out today. Yes, my quad cover has a small crack in it and needs to be replaced. But the technician discovered another contributing problem. There is a rubber seal that is a separate part from the quad cover and this seal completely disintegrated. The technician removed the quad cover and little pieces of rubber fell into his hand. The technician said that 5 years of heat in the southern California sun caused the rubber seal to deteriorate.

So if you have condensation forming inside the cover of your front camera and it is causing frequent blocking of the camera's view, have the seal around the camera's cover checked.