Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon & Twitter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Then sell!!!
I don't see Elon as going off the deep end at all. The Overton Window has shifted such that former center or just left of center people are perceived by many here in this topic forum as being far right.
I don't use Twitter at all. When I hear that Elon has resumed his nonsense I am hoping Tom Zhu takes over CEO as soon as possible. I have never sold any shares that I bought in 2016 but will consider selling some even though I have a poor record on timing.

Then sell!!!
I don't see Elon as going off the deep end at all. The Overton Window has shifted such that former center or just left of center people are perceived by many here in this topic forum as being far right.
So letting white supremacists back on Twitter, making fun of people with disabilities, retweeting right-wing conspiracy theories, etc... is just normal I guess?

This may actually be helpful if Elon keeps getting attacked by some on the extreme right.

I think the political center always had a chance with Musk if they stroked him. Acknowledge what he has accomplished. The Biden administration has ignored Elon and what he has done with his mission. Now they are approving Alaska drilling as well as approving more oil drilling on public lands in the first two years then Trump did in his first two years of his administration.

The Biden administration has ignored Elon and what he has done with his mission.
This is not accurate.

“We admire the range of American companies that have innovated, including Tesla, which did so much to make EVs possible in America,” Buttigieg said in an interview on CNBC’s “Squawk Box.”
“Now it’s mainstream. Earlier on, at a time when U.S. policy with tax credits was supporting companies like Tesla, that wasn’t viewed as such a sure bet,” he added.

The president wrote on Twitter, “In building our EV charging network, we have to ensure that as many chargers work for as many drivers as possible.To that end, @elonmusk will open a big part of @Tesla’s network up to all drivers. That’s a big deal, and it’ll make a big difference.”

I’m 28 years old and my friend group consists of highly educated people (I am a medical doctor and my friends are all either also medical doctors or doing a PhD in biomedicine/biology), and none of them likes Elon. It’s a small sample size but my family and friends are who I speak to everyday and this is what I observe in the real world, and not polls about his popularity on the internet. And I have to say it gets harder and harder these days for me to defend him. As an investor I am kind of hoping that Tom Zhu will take over soon.

Maybe this is Elon's self-sabotage exit plan, knowingly or unknowingly.

Reactions: advocate8
I don't see Elon as going off the deep end at all.
This is who Musk has always been.

Elon Musk's disability shaming may not be illegal but it was cruel—and it shows how badly bosses can treat employees

As for Thorleifsson, he wasn’t even the first employee who Musk attacked in terms of a disability. In November, after a few dozen Twitter workers were reportedly fired for criticizing Musk, he sarcastically said that one of them had a “tragic case of adult onset Tourette’s.”

Experts say that Musk’s frequent use of the social media platform to berate employees can be harmful, especially if he resorts to tropes to do so.

“Seeing such a powerful person put those thoughts out there on such an accessible platform, it really represents so much that people with disabilities deal with in the workplace,” MacFarlane said. “He was running through every stereotype: ‘You don’t need the money. You get it from somewhere else. You’re faking your disability. Do you even do any work?’”

This is who Musk has always been.

Elon Musk's disability shaming may not be illegal but it was cruel—and it shows how badly bosses can treat employees

As for Thorleifsson, he wasn’t even the first employee who Musk attacked in terms of a disability. In November, after a few dozen Twitter workers were reportedly fired for criticizing Musk, he sarcastically said that one of them had a “tragic case of adult onset Tourette’s.”

Experts say that Musk’s frequent use of the social media platform to berate employees can be harmful, especially if he resorts to tropes to do so.

“Seeing such a powerful person put those thoughts out there on such an accessible platform, it really represents so much that people with disabilities deal with in the workplace,” MacFarlane said. “He was running through every stereotype: ‘You don’t need the money. You get it from somewhere else. You’re faking your disability. Do you even do any work?’”
Can a boss with a disability berate an employee with a disability ? And wasn’t the public conversation started by the employee ?

From Wikipedia: Basil Fawlty is the main character of the 1970s British sitcom Fawlty Towers, played by John Cleese. The proprietor of the hotel Fawlty Towers, he is a cynical and misanthropic snob, desperate to belong to a higher social class. His attempts to run the hotel often end in farce.

Elon Musk is the Basil Fawlty of social media

What was Musk thinking? He’s hellbent on projecting bitterness and turmoil. He must be very bright and capable – he has done exceptionally well – but he seems unable to shake off his bad mood about how expensive Twitter is proving. He’s like a man who’s gone on holiday and realised he left the heating on at home. Despite being the second richest man in the world, he’s bitterly reflecting that the disabled employee he’s just sacked might have a bit of cash put by. He’s the hotel proprietor lurking by the breakfast buffet and groaning every time a guest helps themselves to another sausage.
A good example of this happened on Monday. A man called Haraldur Thorleifsson tweeted Musk saying: “9 days ago the access to my work computer was cut, along with about 200 other Twitter employees. However your head of HR is not able to confirm if I am an employee or not… Maybe if enough people retweet you’ll answer me here?” Well, he did. He asked what work Thorleifsson had been doing and they had a brief exchange on the subject that ended with Musk tweeting two laughing-face emojis. Not in a nice way. Shortly afterwards, Twitter’s HR confirmed to Thorleifsson that he had been fired and Musk went on to slag him off on the platform, saying he “did no actual work”, used a disability as a bogus excuse and was “independently wealthy”.

But, hey, he apologized, so that makes it alright. 🤷‍♂️

Can a boss with a disability berate an employee with a disability ? And wasn’t the public conversation started by the employee ?
Yes. That's like asking "can a person who is a minority be racist against another minority?" During the pandemic, there are videos of black people physically attacking Asians and shouting slurs, you tell me.

As for starting the public conversation, Haraldur Thorleifsson didn't start by insulting. In fact, as far as I know, he didn't sling mud back at Musk. It started with Thorleifsson asking Musk if he was still employed because he wasn't getting an answer back from HR. Didn't realize asking this question meant it was open season for receiving verbal abuse.

This is not accurate.

“We admire the range of American companies that have innovated, including Tesla, which did so much to make EVs possible in America,” Buttigieg said in an interview on CNBC’s “Squawk Box.”
“Now it’s mainstream. Earlier on, at a time when U.S. policy with tax credits was supporting companies like Tesla, that wasn’t viewed as such a sure bet,” he added.

The president wrote on Twitter, “In building our EV charging network, we have to ensure that as many chargers work for as many drivers as possible.To that end, @elonmusk will open a big part of @Tesla’s network up to all drivers. That’s a big deal, and it’ll make a big difference.”

Yes you are right. It took awhile.

I can’t believe this has to be explained to you but…Someone’s opinion on a brand or item is not the same as a group of idiots pushing each other’s vaccination misinformation out to all their other idiot followers. The fact is the majority of people are too stupid to use social media with any caution or skepticism so they end up as useful idiots pushing misinformation for a group they don’t really know for reasons they don’t understand. The herd mentality is
This is not accurate.

He got left out of that Rose Garden thing and then Biden the Old Detroit-thinking Union Guy said some nice things about GM and the Perma Bulls will remain essentially butt-hurt over it. It’s not worth trying to convince them.

I’ll also point out in regards to the post you were responding to.... why should one side or the other have to stroke Elon’s fur? Either the guy has solid beliefs about things that he sticks to, or he doesn’t. Apparently the latter.

Reactions: JRP3 and gforce2002
I take some of your points...but there was a time when all we heard from were ‘experts’...most self appointed experts, politicians and journalists....then came the Internet and suddenly Joe Schmoe can have a say....then came twitter and Joe can now speak directly to the great and good...whether they are in the US or Holland. Personally I think it’s a good thing
This makes no sense. It’s essentially the same thing Elon says about Twitter. "Everyone gets a voice!"
ok, for just a minute let’s ignore than rest of the world to make a case study here... So, let’s just say more than 300 million Americans can get on Twitter and have a voice!
OK, so you’re going to sit there and read through 300 million Joe Schmoes' thoughts on whatever Biden/Putin/Kim Kardashian’s lastest action is and that will help you understand things...
No, you’re not.

That’s not what’s going on here. This isn’t empowering the average person. It’s empowering whoever shows up in your Twitter feed, and in most cases you have NO IDEA how they got there, or in most cases what they actually know about the topic ...or who is paying them, or who created them from 1’s and 0’s.

It is all just about one new set of media bosses muscling in on the turf formerly occupied by the MSM. The MSM’s strengths and weakness are well known, and who owns that newspaper or this TV station was transparent, and so you knew what was behind the content.
Now? it might be Elon calling the shots on a given tweet, or Putin or Kim Kardashian’s army of publicists or Koch Industries or GM or PETA. But you don’t know.
It’s not some new exciting democratization of information... you’re still hearing from a tiny, selected sample of voices. It’s just that someone else is doing the selecting.
Meet the new boss, maybe worse than the old boss.

Last edited:
The truth is the average Joe Schmoe is not bringing facts, reason, or understanding to a discussion. Most people simply do not take the time to dig into a topic and gather data. Instead they react with emotion that bolsters their existing opinions. The result is we end up with mob behavior pushing an agenda. Nonsense from the bottom up is not an improvement from nonsense from the top down. I don't know the solution but Twitter obviously is not it.

Which is sad considering the potential of the "internet" to give a direct voice to the people and a variety of views.

Also what may seem like "bottom up" to some, is too often, behind the scenes, actually coming from a competing "top", or an attempt to become the new "top". Like election lies pushed by the billionaire Trump, or the continuing reservations about climate science pushed by industry interests (and a "pro-business" mentality which isn't really "bottom-up").

My hope is that this is also because the "internet" is still very young in a sense, and that eventually, many many years down the road, our process of forming opinions in that way will mature by learning as a culture. Before we lose democracy, if I may say so. We are the problem and we are the solution.

Last edited:
When you get right down to it, an uninformed persons opinion on any technical question is basically worthless.

Everyone knows this but the human ego is reluctant to accept this when it comes to their own opinion.

It’s much easier to say “hey, I may not be an engineer but I think this building code is pointless” than it is to admit that a person with actual experience, often many people over years, already looked into it.

It’s the tragedy of the internet. You now have more access to free expertise than ever. Unfortunately the price is access to people with no expertise acting like their opinion matters. Twitter is really the worst it’s like over 90% unfounded opinion, or even worse, opinions about other peoples opinions.

Status
Not open for further replies.