Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EMP and EV Cars

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Pretty much any car from the past 20 years has a computer of some sort that would be destroyed by an EMP, thus rendering the car totally inert. Most electronics these days have minimal shielding for electromagnetic interference, but it wouldn't be enough to thwart a true EMP.

There's just one thing about EMPs, though: unless the terrorist have some sort of super scientist on their side, currently the only way to create a large scale EMP is through the detonation of a nuclear bomb (the new Ocean's 11 is science fiction in that regard). And that EMP even then wouldn't really extend far past the immediate blast zone before becoming too weak to bother basic shielded electronics.

In short: yes, you're being paranoid over an incredibly negligible risk that if it did occur we'd have much bigger problems on our hands (like your car likely being destroyed by said nuclear blast).

Reactions: S'toon
Pretty much any car from the past 20 years has a computer of some sort that would be destroyed by an EMP, thus rendering the car totally inert. Most electronics these days have minimal shielding for electromagnetic interference, but it wouldn't be enough to thwart a true EMP.

There's just one thing about EMPs, though: unless the terrorist have some sort of super scientist on their side, currently the only way to create a large scale EMP is through the detonation of a nuclear bomb (the new Ocean's 11 is science fiction in that regard). And that EMP even then wouldn't really extend far past the immediate blast zone before becoming too weak to bother basic shielded electronics.

In short: yes, you're being paranoid over an incredibly negligible risk that if it did occur we'd have much bigger problems on our hands (like your car likely being destroyed by said nuclear blast).
I agree, I was kiddin more on a terrorist EMP but a lighting hit would qualify. I was wondering what damage would occur. In a standard combustion car the damage would be a lot less I would presume.

Has Tesla developed any protection against an EMP blast? If one occurs naturally or terrorist we would have tin cans. Sorry of this sounds paranoid but hoping there is some shielding.
It is a legitimate question. There is no intelligent reason for people to insult you like that. This isn't high school. Most people getting these shields are expecting a man made event. I am on this sight right now looking for information for an EMP shield for my Tesla. Good luck finding a good shield, SATedeschi

Yes, if someone detonates a nuclear weapon in the atmosphere, you'll have bigger things to worry about than your car!

That pretty well sums it up. An EMP would fry everything. And anyone within range who survived would be back to the stone age. A shield for your car would be useless because the roads would be blocked by all the other out-of-service cars. You're probably a million times more likely to be hit by a bus than by an EMP. It's curious the things people decide to worry about