TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Employees get discounts on cars?

Discussion in 'Tesla, Inc.' started by lovingit, Jan 5, 2016.

Tags:
  1. lovingit

lovingit Member

Do employees get any incentives toward cars?

2. lolachampcar

lolachampcar Active Member

Back in Dec 2013 when one bought my wife's accident damaged S85 the answer was no.

3. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

I heard from someone random (so consider an unconfirmed rumor) that employees do now have some sort of discount program.

As far as I know, this is relatively new. I think before the only perk was sometimes being able to become the buyer of a CPO type trade in getting the car at the trade in price (which was generally a very good deal on a used car.) Then Tesla didn't have to spend time trying resell it, so seemed like a win/win.

4. trolololol

trolololol Member

Working at tesla - we had absolutely zero perks. After working there, i would never own one. Sorry to say it.

• Informative x 1
  5. sitter_k

sitter_k Active Member

Sorry where are you from? :)

6. Xenoilphobe

Xenoilphobe Active Member

One of the sales guys here in VA is getting a CPO, I would assume they would give the those guys a good deal..

7. TexasEV

TexasEV Well-Known Member

Tesla employees are now getting great lease deals on CPOs. I've heard in the $400/month range.

8. Xenoilphobe

Xenoilphobe Active Member

Damn that is great. They should do that for those guys - they work their asses off! Frankly the employee of the month at each SC should get a a month free!

• Like x 1
  9. Jason S

Jason S Model S Sig Perf (P85)

Says trollville. I believe him!

10. Aaron Renfroe

Aaron Renfroe Member

Owner Adviser at a store here in SoCal told me this as well.

11. irvineboy

irvineboy Member

Just talked to someone who works there. Got a brand new MX at half off. They hook them up!

12. schonelucht

schonelucht Active Member

Yes. They get a discount on the S and X but not on the 3. This was clearly spelled out in the Model 3 documentation that came with employee deliveries of the model 3. This is indeed new, it used to be no deals for anyone.

13. cpa

cpa Active Member

There are a lot of special rules for offering employees discounts on a company's products or services to keep the discount off the employee's W-2.

Two that come to mind:

(1) The discount must be offered to ALL employees of the company, its subsidiaries and parent companies and any brother-sister companies that would be included under the rules of attribution. If one employee is excluded from a discount, then all discounts are taxable income to the employee.

(2) In the case of manufactured products, the discount cannot exceed the average cost of goods sold across all product lines.

There are others that would not be relevant in this situation.

While I do not know if Tesla now offers employee discounts on new product, I am not sure if all employees in all Elon Musk's companies are eligible to receive discounts on Tesla's new automobiles.

• Informative x 1
  14. ChicagolandMX

ChicagolandMX Member

I heard 75% and they use each other's referral codes to get all the loot that they resale to pay for the remaining 25%

• Funny x 1
  15. irvineboy

irvineboy Member

75% off retail price? Sounds too good to be true. Time to apply for a job.

16. bkp_duke

bkp_duke Active Member

Talked with the guys that installed my Powerwalls. They said there is a small discount, and when the Model 3 came out there was a larger one that was limited to like the first 200 employees that requested it, but that was it.

They did, however, say they LOVED working for Tesla. Good pay, good benefits, etc. and they had no intention of trying to unionize.