Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Employees get discounts on cars?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I heard from someone random (so consider an unconfirmed rumor) that employees do now have some sort of discount program.

As far as I know, this is relatively new. I think before the only perk was sometimes being able to become the buyer of a CPO type trade in getting the car at the trade in price (which was generally a very good deal on a used car.) Then Tesla didn't have to spend time trying resell it, so seemed like a win/win.

There are a lot of special rules for offering employees discounts on a company's products or services to keep the discount off the employee's W-2.

Two that come to mind:

(1) The discount must be offered to ALL employees of the company, its subsidiaries and parent companies and any brother-sister companies that would be included under the rules of attribution. If one employee is excluded from a discount, then all discounts are taxable income to the employee.

(2) In the case of manufactured products, the discount cannot exceed the average cost of goods sold across all product lines.

There are others that would not be relevant in this situation.

While I do not know if Tesla now offers employee discounts on new product, I am not sure if all employees in all Elon Musk's companies are eligible to receive discounts on Tesla's new automobiles.

• Informative
Reactions: TEG
Talked with the guys that installed my Powerwalls. They said there is a small discount, and when the Model 3 came out there was a larger one that was limited to like the first 200 employees that requested it, but that was it.

They did, however, say they LOVED working for Tesla. Good pay, good benefits, etc. and they had no intention of trying to unionize.