Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Emulate Engine Noise - Agree or Disagree?

Should there be an option to engage an outdoor exhaust note?

• Yes

Votes: 22 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 127 77.0%
  • Meh, don't care

Votes: 16 9.7%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Alright well it's apparent I've misread this community. I might understand it better when I get my model 3. Sorry folks.
I don’t believe you've misread the community as much as the community may have misread your question as posited.

It’s difficult to understand why so many would vote down the ability to engage an optional exhaust sound.

I would understand overwhelming no votes if the sound was permanently on, but that’s not what you proposed.

Reactions: 1LE McQueen
I don’t believe you've misread the community as much as the community may have misread your question as posited.

It’s difficult to understand why so many would vote down the ability to engage an optional exhaust sound.

I would understand overwhelming no votes if the sound was permanently on, but that’s not what you proposed.
I wouldn't be against it if it were an interior option. Having it on the exterior affects more than just the driver.

NO! I don’t want a jerks making obnoxious noises in public out of shear disrespect for others. Whether it is fake engine or bad “music”, polluting the commons is selfish.

If you want to play noise inside your car with windows closed, go ahead.

I think we all understand the question. This would be like Model Ts emulating a horse sound.

I drive electric because I hate everything about ICE’s. The sounds they make are the sounds of positioning the atmosphere, and I don’t understand a bit why people love those sounds. They are the sounds of death.

I wouldn't be against it if it were an interior option. Having it on the exterior affects more than just the driver.

Did you miss my first response to you on page 1? Or are you choosing to ignore that point? Actually all things considered I do think you have a good point.

I think we all understand the question. This would be like Model Ts emulating a horse sound.

I drive electric because I hate everything about ICE’s. The sounds they make are the sounds of positioning the atmosphere, and I don’t understand a bit why people love those sounds. They are the sounds of death.

Positioning the atmosphere huh? Sounds of death? Well, the sounds of death part certainly isn't wrong ;) don't you forget now what goes into making Teslas and the batteries that make them run.

NO! I don’t want a jerks making obnoxious noises in public out of shear disrespect for others. Whether it is fake engine or bad “music”, polluting the commons is selfish.

If you want to play noise inside your car with windows closed, go ahead.

Look, I get it. I really do. I have a cat back which sounds great but one of my neighbors has a Nissan 350z with what must be headers or muffler delete or something but it's absolutely obnoxious and makes you wanna claw your ears off.

Many posters are grouping all exhaust noises together which leads me to believe there aren't very many gearheads here. I don't know what you all drove before Tesla but there is such a thing as "moderate".

Last edited:
Look, I get it. I really do. I have a cat back which sounds great but one of my neighbors has a Nissan 350z with what must be headers or muffler delete or something but it's absolutely obnoxious and makes you wanna claw your ears off.

Many posters are grouping all exhaust noises together which leads me to believe there aren't very many gearheads here. I don't know what you all drove before Tesla but there is such a thing as "moderate".

Pollution is pollution, is is just like farting. You have no honorable reason to fart in unwilling ears.

Pollution is pollution, is is just like farting. You have no honorable reason to fart in unwilling ears.

It's nothing like that but okay. As of 2018, fossil fuels make up 63% of electricity produced in the US just so you and everyone else know.. What is U.S. electricity generation by energy source? - FAQ - U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA)

Yeah I know my DD is the farthest thing from clean and efficient, and i'm not proud of it, but don't preach to me about "polluting" and other environmental issues. If you can't fathom why other people can enjoy a good exhaust note then I can't help you.

It is simply the law in many countries, and just recently the U.S..
Tesla’s shipping now, have an external speaker installed for this purpose. I believe it is not very loud, and only for slow speeds, so people walking by, hear you coming.

Have not yet heard it myself on a Tesla yet, mine was built last summer, before it was a requirement. We have it on our Leaf backing up, and it sounds like a truck. Annoying.

It is simply the law in many countries, and just recently the U.S..
Tesla’s shipping now, have an external speaker installed for this purpose. I believe it is not very loud, and only for slow speeds, so people walking by, hear you coming.

Have not yet heard it myself on a Tesla yet, mine was built last summer, before it was a requirement. We have it on our Leaf backing up, and it sounds like a truck. Annoying.

My Prius had a reverse beeper, but it could be turned off.

Of course this is completely different than farting fake engine noises at all passerbies, aka selfish noise pollution.

It's nothing like that but okay. As of 2018, fossil fuels make up 63% of electricity produced in the US just so you and everyone else know.. What is U.S. electricity generation by energy source? - FAQ - U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA)

Yeah I know my DD is the farthest thing from clean and efficient, and i'm not proud of it, but don't preach to me about "polluting" and other environmental issues. If you can't fathom why other people can enjoy a good exhaust note then I can't help you.

But power plants don’t make noise pollution in my neighborhood.