Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

End of the first week w/model X - Good and bugs!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Its the end of my first week and third day driving Model X VIN 84X

Too too many good things to say about the vehicle. Since delivery a week ago the vehicle has been:

Fully exterior wrapped by Front Guard in Millersville, MD (Next to the Car Guys -in earlier posts I thought it was the same company) by Matthew who wrapped the interior and exterior FLAWLESSLY and with NO ORANGE PEEL.
Fitted with Lloyds mats
Refitted with Abstract Ocean LEDs
Fitted with teslacupholders.com cup holders
And even driven for 3 days!
Car was hit by a shopping cart... and the wrap saved the paint (Wrap now paid for! That was fast...)
Called Matthew at Front Guard to have film replaced. Matthew immediately offered an appointment.
After a couple days of re-calibrating myself (my last car was a BMW I3) I was smoothing out....

THEN...

After dropping a package at the post office and getting back into the car the door latch failed on Sunday. Monday morning I called the service center in Rockvile, MD. AG told me to bring the car in. I drove over immediately, they replaced the door latch and got me back on the road in an hour. While I would have preferred the door latch not failed, you could not possibly ask for a faster response not a swifter repair.

The ride back to the office included a stop by the DMV to pick up a license plate mounted EZ-Pass to mount on the TorqLift no drill front plate mount...

And then enjoyed a nice long 20 minute ride using the Auto-Pilot in stop and go traffic where it excelled...

So let me answer the question that dogged us before the purchase: Are we glad we bought the vehicle? 100% yes.

Next up... finding someone to install a BlackVue dash cam in the Maryland area.

Suggestions anyone?

Thanks for sharing your experience. So the exterior wrap seem worthwhile. I am thinking about it when my Model X gets delivered in couple of months. May I ask how much was it - for exterior only?

My wife and I seriously test drove BMW i3, and it seem one thing in common among family members who are passengers is that we all got light headed!

I would be interested in others sharing info about dash cams too.

______________________________________________________________________________________
On order: X90D Pearl White, tan leather, light headliner, 6 seater, 20", PUP, Sub-Zero, AP, Tow hitch
Tesla Discount Referral code: Referral | Tesla Motors

Now that I have a bit more time to write..

To recap... Yes, the experience with Front Guard (Matt) has been great.

Mine was the second Model X he has wrapped. We went with Sun Tech over the Xpel for greater clarity (I am picky about this) and he nailed it with near zero inclusions under the wrap. The car looks like it is covered in deep clear coat, not a wrap.

I opted to de-badge the car instead of cutting around the letters since trying to cut around the "Model X" and "P90D" logos never worked out well. Buying new letters/badges at the service center set me back about $100. Note Matt did not pull the Tesla logo since it was easy to cut around. It looks just fine.

The car was wrapped in 2 days and allowed to sit for a third day before I picked it up. The exterior of the car was flawless. Matt has a secondary process he uses to seal a lot of the edges and it really makes the edges disappear nicely.

The very next day... my car was scraped by a shopping cart. The scrape did not go all the way through the wrap but left some huge white scrapes. Very much like Matt said it would, the sunlight has been rapidly fading the scrape during the last 2 days. Matt still wants to replace the scraped section, but I am not sure it will need do it. It is pretty much gone at this point (about a week later).

There was also a small divot in one of the edge seals (about 3mm) I did not like... but I challenge you to find it. If I opt to have the scraped panel re-wrapped (doubtful at this point), Matt wants to deal with it. Hat's off to Matt for it.. he is a perfectionist.

So given the damage saved, and having watched the wrap heal itself day by day in the baking sunlight... At this point you could say I feel the wrap has already paid for itself in my mind (because of the shopping cart incident alone). The investment for full wrap + interior wrap + door button wrap was about $8k. And this is even before all of the terrible things that happen here in winter with the road salt and rocks they sprinkle on the roads... I am confident that a few years down the road the car will still be looking good.

Complaints: None really. I had to wash a couple of the mats where some of the white "wrap glue" dripped. It is a water based glue and washed right off with a hose.

Reactions: ModelX
What did you have wrapped in the interior besides the seat backs, if anything? And a door button wrap?

I don't understand this latch issue.
HowIsThisStillAThing.jpeg