Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 Model X Plaid 30k miles, 19 month review

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
30000 mile review of my 2022 Model X Plaid. Just over 19 months of ownership and 30k miles so far and I enjoyed every single mile. Now for the good and the bad. Let's start with the bad: As we all know, fit and finish is not Tesla's strength, so, some of the trim really does not line up perfect even though it is "within spec". I had several mobile as well as service center visits due to minor issues like Yoke wear, weatherstripping coming loose, falcon wing doors metal on metal contact, center console issues and a dented front bumper when the car was delivered. Another issue is the factory alignment causing wear on the inside of rear tires. My tires only lasted 28k miles . Front ones still had life left but changed all 4. I did use spacers on the rear camber arms to reduce the inside wear. I also had a tear in the drivers seat side bolster that was not covered under warranty. The good: No major technical issues, insane acceleration and 7 drag strip visits with most runs in the 9.80 range. Very consistent times. Fantastic road trip vehicle with very fast charging and comfortable ride. While I paid a lot more than the current price for my Plaid (about $30k more than current price), I also got $30k more for my trade, so, for me it's a wash. Planning on keeping the Plaid at least until I'll get my Cybertruck in maybe 2 to 3 years (ordered Oct 2021). May even keep it and give it to the wife when I get the CT and keep the Plaid until the Battery/motor warranty expires at 150k miles. Certainly won't keep it past 150k miles. Degradation is just over 3% at 322 mile current full range (new was 333 miles).
Exterior holding up great. A few stone chips but otherwise still looks like new. Interior holding up good except for torn side bolster which I had fixed (replace the torn section) at a local upholstry store.
20240119_083615.jpg
Screenshot_20240119_155028.jpg
Screenshot_20240119_155323.jpg

Last edited:
30000 mile review of my 2022 Model X Plaid. Just over 19 months of ownership and 30k miles so far and I enjoyed every single mile. Now for the good and the bad. Let's start with the bad: As we all know, fit and finish is not Tesla's strength, so, some of the trim really does not line up perfect even though it is "within spec". I had several mobile as well as service center visits due to minor issues like Yoke wear, weatherstripping coming loose, falcon wing doors metal on metal contact, center console issues and a dented front bumper when the car was delivered. Another issue is the factory alignment causing wear on the inside of rear tires. My tires only lasted 28k miles . Front ones still had life left but changed all 4. I did use spacers on the rear camber arms to reduce the inside wear. I also had a tear in the drivers seat side bolster that was not covered under warranty. The good: No major technical issues, insane acceleration and 7 drag strip visits with most runs in the 9.80 range. Very consistent times. Fantastic road trip vehicle with very fast charging and comfortable ride. While I paid a lot more than the current price for my Plaid (about $30k more than current price), I also got $30k more for my trade, so, for me it's a wash. Planning on keeping the Plaid at least until I'll get my Cybertruck in maybe 2 to 3 years (ordered Oct 2021). May even keep it and give it to the wife when I get the CT and keep the Plaid until the Battery/motor warranty expires at 150k miles. Certainly won't keep it past 150k miles. Degradation is just over 3% at 322 mile current full range (new was 333 miles).
Exterior holding up great. A few stone chips but otherwise still looks like new. Interior holding up good except for torn side bolster which I had fixed (replace the torn section) at a local upholstry store.
View attachment 1010536View attachment 1010537View attachment 1010538
We just bought a gently used 2023 with 2,200 miles. Ultra Red with white seats and 20" wheels. Dealer didn't know when they took it in the week before we saw it and bought it that it also has FSD. For $97k, it was a no-brainer. Thank you for the ownership update.

Attachments

• IMG_7173.jpeg
    IMG_7173.jpeg
    472.9 KB · Views: 52
Reactions: Jayskywalker21
ng. I did replace the tires at around 16,000 miles.
I went with NEXEN tires when I replaced my tires around 30k miles because of the mileage warranty (70k miles) on the Nexens. The Nexens are also cheaper than the factory Continentals ($210 each at Walmart) and they are just as quiet as the Continentals. I can't see any difference in the way the much cheaper Nexens handle compared to the Continentals. Only difference for me was that my 60 foot time at the drag strip suffered with the harder Nexen tires. So, I ended up getting a cheap set of used factory continental tires mounted on a set of Slipstream Model X Wheels for the drag strip.
The Nexen tires cost me 2 tenths of a second at the drag strip. Went back to the track with the Slipstream wheels and Conti tires and I was back into the 9.80's.
Best 1/4 mile run with the NEXEN tires was 10.05
I'll see how many miles I'll get out of the NEXEN tires. If I get 40k miles out of them, I'll consider it a success.

Last edited:
I went with NEXEN tires when I replaced my tires around 30k miles because of the mileage warranty (70k miles) on the Nexens. The Nexens are also cheaper than the factory Continentals ($210 each at Walmart) and they are just as quiet as the Continentals. I can't see any difference in the way the much cheaper Nexens handle compared to the Continentals. Only difference for me was that my 60 foot time at the drag strip suffered with the harder Nexen tires. So, I ended up getting a cheap set of used factory continental tires mounted on a set of Slipstream Model X Wheels for the drag strip.
The Nexen tires cost me 2 tenths of a second at the drag strip. Went back to the track with the Slipstream wheels and Conti tires and I was back into the 9.80's.
Best 1/4 mile run with the NEXEN tires was 10.05
I'll see how many miles I'll get out of the NEXEN tires. If I get 40k miles out of them, I'll consider it a success.
could you actually feel the Nexen tires slipping at the drag strip? Or was the difference not really felt but just seen on the time slip?

could you actually feel the Nexen tires slipping at the drag strip? Or was the difference not really felt but just seen on the time slip?
Didn't feel a difference. Just saw the difference in the 60' time. MPH was also down a little. BTW, I bought a used set of Slipstream wheels (and painted them flat black) with Conti tires and raced and was back in the 9.80's, at least for 1 run.

20240328_093244.jpg

Reactions: Tulipo