Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Enough Superchargers for Thanksgiving?

Enough superchargers for everyone?

• Yes

Votes: 75 65.2%
  • No

Votes: 40 34.8%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The MX60D would only be charging at a maximum of 96 kW, so the worst you could do is about 40 kW even if they were empty and had just plugged in. The maximum time they are likely to charge is about 50 minutes, at which time they will still be drawing 30 kW when it shuts off. Not really a bad car to be paired with. Likely if they were there for as long as you indicate, they were not charging and were paying idle fees.
I was charging at Albuquerque this morning and a brand new Model 3 (paper plate) paired with me because the other two pairs each had a car. He really lucked out because I was only pulling 18 kW, due to starting to charge at 75% and having a cold battery. (I eventually charged to 98% and made it to Farmington with 3% (5 RM), doing all of the last hour well below the speed limit — the cool air really hurt my mileage.)

Black Friday at Albuquerque ranged from 0/6 to 4/6 in use. This morning ranged from 1/3 to 4/6. Farmington was 2/4 — I shared it with the same guy in a new 3 that I saw at both Farmington and Albuquerque last Wednesday. I'd say the Thanksgiving rush was no big deal in New Mexico.

Drove from San Clemente, CA (home) to Santa Cruz, CA on the Wednesday before Thanksgiving. Stopped at Tejon, Harris Ranch and Gilroy on the way up and Hollister, Kettleman City and Santa Clarita on the trip back to San Clemente the following Saturday. Even with the holiday traffic, the only station that was full on arrival was Harris Ranch but there was a security guard managing the cue who put me in line (I was first up upon arrival) and we waited no more than 5 minutes before we were directed to a charger. Could have done the trip with one fewer stop each way but as I it was my first road trip I was conservative with my calculations just in case the chargers were overwhelmed. Great experience over all. Impressed by the rate of charge at each station given the number of cars charging. Just enough time at each stop to stretch the legs, grab a bite and/or something to drink and use the facilities. Lots of Model 3s at the stops and along the way. My wife did one leg on the return trip home but I drove the rest of the time and autopilot really helped lower the stress levels and made for a relatively painless drive. I did the same trip a couple of years ago (not on a holiday) in a Chevy Volt and was wrecked at the end of each drive. Couldn't wait to get out of the car! (And we loved our Volt...)

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
California Bay Area was really booked yesterday 12/22/18 especially along highway 5 between sf and la