Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Error warnings tesla wants to wait to fix.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello, I am receiving error codes bms_u008 and bms_w173 and I can't use regen or accelerator. Do you all think this is a 12V issue? Tesla earliest appointment is Feb 5 and I'm not sure this car is okay to drive even though the rep said it was.

1000007752.jpg

BMS w173 I believe is the may not restart; the other u008 is the acceleration and top speed code.I had the same codes in 2016 S 90D. Car may not restart and accel and top speed reduced. Display looked like yours. I didn't want to take the chance of driving the car back to Merritt Island from Indianapolis. The service center in IND took me in on short notice and replaced the battery coolant heater (second time in 7 years). Cleared the alerts and the car has almost never operated better.
Not sure what the most recent software update did but now when I use a SuC it ramps right up to 120kW and depending upon other conditions stays there for awhile. Also, the cooling fans operate more frequently. So the charging experience is more like it was when the car was new. Did software do this, or a coolant heater/pump that works properly, or something else the techs found and corrected. IDK but I am happy.
Driving short distances around town in very cool weather probably won't hurt the battery but I wasn't about to try a 1000 mile trip only to be stranded in Cordele GA!

I drive like less than 80 miles and always charge at work and home. Do you think that will be okay until the 5th?
I don't know. What I do know is this happened once in FL where it was warm and the bms protected that battery and the car would not restart. It happened again in Indy where the weather was frigid and the car repeatedly restarted. If the battery coolant heater was the problem one would think that in the cold it wouldn't restart but where it was warm it would restart. So, perhaps that part is integral to other things happening and my experiences were coincidental. Our situations differ a bit as well. While awaiting service in IND if the car died I had family transport as a back up and towing would be within a 20mi radius. Your radius around ATL is a bit larger but you are closer to home and service than I would/could have been with a shutdown at a charger miles from Tesla service.

The error displayed on the screen looks like it detected an unsafe driving event and decided to lock you out for a while i.e. “Performance may be restored…” On the other hand, those errors are related to the BMS

Have you tried rebooting? I suggest doing a shutdown from the menu, then do not touch anything for 3-minutes, then step on the accelerator.

Good luck!

The error displayed on the screen looks like it detected an unsafe driving event and decided to lock you out for a while i.e. “Performance may be restored…” On the other hand, those errors are related to the BMS

Have you tried rebooting? I suggest doing a shutdown from the menu, then do not touch anything for 3-minutes, then step on the accelerator.

Good luck!
Sorry, respectfully disagree. They are BMS errors. My dislplay was identical and I had no means of performing an unsafe driving event (is that a thing?). I could easily be wrong. It seems OP should also have a "may not restart" message.

I did restart multiple times with no avail. I have family here but this is my only means of transportation but I was worried about it shutting down after SC neglected to give me a loaner on the fact I brought up my concerns in person. Dude just said sorry nothing we can go right now but you can leave it here but we can't give you another car until your appointment date 🙄

Reactions: ATPMSD