Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Errors after retrofitting a model 3 2018 for CCS support

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello, i have followed the steps available on the forum to upgrade my model 3 to CCS capability. After i reinstalled the software i see the following errors
have anyone faced such errors and is there a resolution for this?

CP _a099 _cableState Unknown
Audience [service-fix]
Description The charge port (CP electronic control unit (ECU) is unable to confirm the state of the charging cable.
Set Condition The CP ECU is unable to determine the state of the charge cable based on proximity and pilot circuits.
Clear Condition The CP ECU confirms the state of the charge cable for at least 1 second.
Potential Impact Charging may not start or may be interrupted. Before entering drive, confirm the charge cable is not connected to the vehicle.

CP_a004 _proximityRationality
User Text Charging equipment not recognized Try again or try different equipment
Audience [customer, service-fix, factory]
Description The charge port (CP) electronic control unit (ECU) detects proximity voltage in an unexpected
Set Condition The CP ECU detects that proximity voltage is outside of the expected range.
Clear Condition The CP CU detects that proximity voltage enters the expected range.
Potential Impact If the issue is with the vehicle, it will not be able to charge.

DIa168_proximityDriveDenial
User Text Charge cable connected to vehicle
Audience Disconnect charge cable to drive [customer, service]
Description The reported proximity voltage indicates that there is a charge cable connected to the vehicle

Attachments

• error.jpeg
    error.jpeg
    111.7 KB · Views: 239
Yes, I did have the bundle of wires, but this is something i did it myself, from the description provided by FalconFour.
I also do see that CCS is enabled, but just that these Errors Pop up.

I revert to the old ECU, the errors are gone as well. So not sure what could be the issue

My guess would be that either the new Gen4 ECU is defective or your home-built bundle of wires is. If your new ECU was purchased directly from the factory, I would immediately suspect the bundle first. If the ECU is second-hand, then..., well, I'd still suspect the bundle of wires.

Carefully inspect the bundle to make sure all of the connections are correct and well-soldered. Double check the resistor values, using a multimeter to measure them (color codes can be mistaken). Make sure that the wires in each connector of the bundle is properly positioned.

Reactions: MP3Mike
Yes, i plan to test it this afternoon..
In the picture below, if anyone who did diy bundle of wires, what does the twist-can_CPI16-A refer to.. Does it mean connecting the X688-9 CAN to X688-10 Can Port?

Attachments

• 1645339489323.png
    1645339489323.png
    109 KB · Views: 148
Yes, i plan to test it this afternoon..
In the picture below, if anyone who did diy bundle of wires, what does the twist-can_CPI16-A refer to.. Does it mean connecting the X688-9 CAN to X688-10 Can Port?
No I don't believe so. The "twisted" usually refers to the pair of wires which are twisted together, but NOT electrically connected to each other.

edit: In this case, I don't think you really need to connect any wires there. Note that I've not performed this update yet. I'm only going by my knowledge of electronics and their schematics.

Reactions: sunnyrivers
I have a 2019 M3, the Bundle of Wires and a Gen-4 controller (part number -00 B), each purchased separately. When I tried to do the upgrade, I received a message saying: "Incompatible Software Detected. Car Will Not Drive. Contact your Service Center."

I figured that the Software Upgrade would resolve the issue. So I tried to do that twice, but the car would not let me. I've reinstalled the original Gen-3 controller, crossed my fingers and powered up. The car came back to normal.

The Bundle of Wires does not contain any software. So the only thing I can think of is that the Gen-4 controller I have is 'mislabeled' - as in someone applying the Gen-4 label to a unit for a different car, and selling it as one for the M3.

Anyone have any ideas about this error? The obvious answer to me is to obtain another Gen-4 ECU and try again, but....

FYI. I looked up the Gen4 part (epc.tesla.com #1537264-00-B) and messaged via the app as a part request under "Something else" for pickup. They confirmed via the invoice ~140 and I picked it up a few days later from service. My '18 M3P has been CCS enabled for over a year.

My exact text under "Something else":

I’d like to order part for pickup at Tesla Service in <city, state> 1537264-00-B ASY. Charge port controller gen 4, NA