Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2018 Model 3 - Service Mode Not Loading after CCS Retrofit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,

I picked up the Gen 4 ECU from my Tesla service center today and I have the bundle of wires with a board installed correctly.
Everything looked good and I was getting the expected errors on my touchscreen.
I went to enter service mode to do the software update and it's just stuck loading. Here's what I'm seeing.

IMG_0023.jpeg

Now the thing is, I entered service mode 2 days ago to make sure I did it correctly and I did not have any issues. I was able to see all information about my car that service mode shows.

I've done a hard reboot of the car and no luck.
I've reinstalled the old Gen 3 ECU and I still get stuck here.

Any ideas?

Hi All,

I picked up the Gen 4 ECU from my Tesla service center today and I have the bundle of wires with a board installed correctly.
Everything looked good and I was getting the expected errors on my touchscreen.
I went to enter service mode to do the software update and it's just stuck loading. Here's what I'm seeing.

View attachment 986642

Now the thing is, I entered service mode 2 days ago to make sure I did it correctly and I did not have any issues. I was able to see all information about my car that service mode shows.

I've done a hard reboot of the car and no luck.
I've reinstalled the old Gen 3 ECU and I still get stuck here.

Any ideas?
Did you updated to 2023.38.X? I'm having the same issue on my 2018. I can't recall if I tried service mode on the prior release.

I'm thinking it's the new firmware.

Did you updated to 2023.38.X? I'm having the same issue on my 2018. I can't recall if I tried service mode on the prior release.

I'm thinking it's the new firmware.
Come to think of it, yes I installed 2023.38.4 while I waited for my bundle of wires to be delivered.
I last entered service mode before this update.

It's not possible to downgrade, right? I guess the retrofit will have to wait until service mode is fixed....

Come to think of it, yes I installed 2023.38.4 while I waited for my bundle of wires to be delivered.
I last entered service mode before this update.

It's not possible to downgrade, right? I guess the retrofit will have to wait until service mode is fixed....
As far as I know downgrades aren't possible. Sorry you are in the same boat, but I'm happy somebody else has the issue. It's more likely to be recognized and fixed by Tesla.

As far as I know downgrades aren't possible. Sorry you are in the same boat, but I'm happy somebody else has the issue. It's more likely to be recognized and fixed by Tesla.
I'm a relatively new Tesla owner. Is there a way to bring this sort of thing to their attention?
I feel like if I try to tell them thru the app, they'll just ask me to drive to the service center (1.5hr away) and pay them to do some sort of software update.

I'm a relatively new Tesla owner. Is there a way to bring this sort of thing to their attention?
I feel like if I try to tell them thru the app, they'll just ask me to drive to the service center (1.5hr away) and pay them to do some sort of software update.
Pretty much "no". Especially for something like a hidden feature such as "service mode".

If you want to try your only option is to use the app and discuss it as a service issue. I can tell you with about 99% certainty they will tell you that is not a feature for end user use and will close the ticket without actin on it. They won't even try to make you go to the service center - they will just close the ticket.

Pretty much "no". Especially for something like a hidden feature such as "service mode".

If you want to try your only option is to use the app and discuss it as a service issue. I can tell you with about 99% certainty they will tell you that is not a feature for end user use and will close the ticket without actin on it. They won't even try to make you go to the service center - they will just close the ticket.
I guess I lucked out with who replied to my message in the app.
They told me that it's a known issue with the 2023.38.4 update.

They sent the update to my car (basically to reinstall 2023.38.4) and I was able to complete the CCS retrofit.
I installed the Gen 4 ECU w/ the bundle of wires with a board and started the reinstall that they sent me. 10 mins later I was all good to go.

chrome_DlDwkBivHn.png