TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

ESA Warranty Coverage

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Electricious, Apr 11, 2018.

1. Electricious

Electricious Member

With the recent change where Tesla sells their cars without any refurbishment, I have given up looking for a CPO car. When considering a private party sale with the ESA, does anyone know of any common Model S failures that would not be covered by the ESA?

Would the ESA cover 12V batteries, half shafts, MCUs, heating/AC system? I know it handles door handles so that is good but are there any known common failure points not covered by the ESA?

2. Az_Rael

Az_Rael Supporting Member

The ESA might not cover 12V batteries, because at some point they are a regular maintenance item. Not sure how that is handled if they fail early. Everything else should be covered by the ESA, but with a $200 deductible.

The other kicker with the ESA is by the document terms, you are required to perform ALL maintenance on schedule for it to remain valid (unlike the regular warranty). Tesla hasn't really cracked down on folks, but there have been a few cases where they have denied coverage to folks who haven't done their maintenance on time.

This is one area where the CPO warranty is actually superior as it does not have that requirement or the deductible.

• Informative x 1
  3. Daniellane

Daniellane Active Member

Posted this back in December. You might find it helpful.

• Informative x 1
  4. Electricious

Electricious Member

Thanks, that is good to know. I guess if a 12V battery fails before 24 months then at least I could make the case that it is due to a defect. Glad to hear that the other common failures are covered.

I will religiously perform the annual services and will verify with Tesla the ESA is valid before I make the purchase for additional peace of mine.

I would prefer the CPO warranty but I can't now imagine buying a CPO car with the latest change where they now charge you additional to refurbish the car and fix any damage.

5. Electricious

Electricious Member

So is there a tl;dr version of the ESA where someone can tell me if any common Model S failures are not covered by the ESA? :p

6. Daniellane

Daniellane Active Member

tl;dr?
    Apparently not all ESAs are created equal. Terms have changed over time. One vehicle may have different terms than another.
    So it depends when the ESA was purchased.
    As an example, I was told that at one point, the $200 deductible was per repair item and that now it is per visit. Encouraging people to wait until they have multiple issues before coming in.
    Apparently, Model S Door Handles are a common issue. I think there like $1,000.

• Informative x 1
  7. Electricious

Electricious Member

That's good to know. Seems like the current version of the ESA is better as it has a per visit $200 deductible and it is not per repair.

If anyone has anything else to add, please let me know.