Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020 Model X LR+ Service Experience

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Car has 17k miles on it, warranty ends in December. Trying to decide to buy the ESA and keep it or sell it while the new buyer can still purchase the ESA themselves.

Took it in for half shaft replacement for the "normal" model X shudder issue, which had been present for a little while under heavy acceleration (rare for me), but started getting more common when accelerating normally in the ~30mph range. Replaced the cabin air filter at the same time, and asked them to check out why my voice command steering wheel button stopped working.

Service center in Fife, WA had plenty of availability, so I chose an early drop off time yesterday. They thought it might be ready same day, so no loaner. Estimate was ~$350ish which included an hour of labor for diagnosis. Around 4pm I got a message that they weren't going to have it ready, they'll need it overnight. No issues for us, rare for us to have plans where we need both cars (which is how we only have 17k mi on an almost 4 year old car).

Woke up this morning to a message "It's ready, come pick it up." Everything except the air filter was covered by warranty, so the cost was adjusted down to ~$65. Paid through the app, headed back up to the service center, grabbed the key, everything looks good (As good as did when I dropped it off at least. Overdue for a wash!). They replaced left and right upper control arms, they replaced the voice command switch in the steering wheel, and they replaced the air filter.

I thanked them, they thanked me for my patience (?? None was needed?), and I was on my way.

Super easy, great experience, no complaints.

Now to schedule a detail...

Extended warranties (aka Insurance policies are basically the same as lottery tickets. On average, you will never use the amount you pay into the policy. They price the policy at the average cost to repair and then add their costs to it. They sell the policies to make money off of you.

Tesla is now sending service estimates with a $ amount attached to it on what is expected to be warranty covered. That's just what they do now.

I bought an ESA on my first 2014 tesla. I wish I put the money in TSLA instead. With the deductible, and especially with the opportunity cost, I lost money on it with just a couple door handle replacements covered (and maybe the trunk latch too). All the big stuff was covered under the main warranty.

Car has 17k miles on it, warranty ends in December. Trying to decide to buy the ESA and keep it or sell it while the new buyer can still purchase the ESA themselves.

Took it in for half shaft replacement for the "normal" model X shudder issue, which had been present for a little while under heavy acceleration (rare for me), but started getting more common when accelerating normally in the ~30mph range. Replaced the cabin air filter at the same time, and asked them to check out why my voice command steering wheel button stopped working.

Service center in Fife, WA had plenty of availability, so I chose an early drop off time yesterday. They thought it might be ready same day, so no loaner. Estimate was ~$350ish which included an hour of labor for diagnosis. Around 4pm I got a message that they weren't going to have it ready, they'll need it overnight. No issues for us, rare for us to have plans where we need both cars (which is how we only have 17k mi on an almost 4 year old car).

Woke up this morning to a message "It's ready, come pick it up." Everything except the air filter was covered by warranty, so the cost was adjusted down to ~$65. Paid through the app, headed back up to the service center, grabbed the key, everything looks good (As good as did when I dropped it off at least. Overdue for a wash!). They replaced left and right upper control arms, they replaced the voice command switch in the steering wheel, and they replaced the air filter.

I thanked them, they thanked me for my patience (?? None was needed?), and I was on my way.

Super easy, great experience, no complaints.

Now to schedule a detail...
XCare is also a great warranty option for your Model X. We are all Tesla veterans versed in the world of Tesla service. We reinvented the Warranty industry, by designing the first and only Extended Warranty for Electric Vehicles, and created a claims process specially designed for the “direct-to-service” model (like Tesla Service).
XCare was originally developed to mirror Tesla’s Extended Service Agreement, but allowed to various term options. We even offer battery and drive unit coverage and have payment plans available!
Check us out: XCare EV Protection

Happy Driving!
-Team X Care