Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Estimated range?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Wol747

Aug 26, 2017
Tea Gardens
I fully understand - well, as much as anyone outside the Tesla programming coven - the difference between the Tesla range and actuality, but something odd worries me.
If I set the onscreen “energy” page to say 10km average, the estimated range to the right jumps around by huge amounts second by second. 100km is not unusual. Logic tells me that even accelerating and braking shouldn’t change the average by much. Instantaneously, obviously.

Check whether you have it set to display the instantaneous versus average projected range. It sounds like you have it set on instantaneous if it's bouncing around that much. You should see that below the graph on the right hand side. It will show Average and Instantaneous as the two options. If you have it on average, then the projected range is the average for the distance interval you have selected. If set to instantaneous, then the distance interval doesn't really matter (much) as it will be projecting the range on just the last energy reading, not the average for the full distance you have selected.

Reactions: DavidB