Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Esurance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had zero problems getting a claim through Esurance and repaired using the best Audi shop in my area. However, the next renewal came in at like $12,000 a year which I guess was their way of saying goodbye.

If they’re giving you good rates, I think they’re a good choice based off my experience. But be prepared to find a new carrier after an at fault claim!

Good rates are useless if they jack your rates and you can't change your policy affordably because of an accident. That rate becomes the highest you can pay. You get what you pay for in an insurance company when you need them not when you pay the premium with huge hidden costs and repercussions.

My son was hit by a person with Esurance a while ago. Esurance would not return our phone calls or schedule to get our car fixed. I THEN had to get my insurance company involved to get my car fixed. Now I had to pay my deductible because my insurance company got involved. Geico STILL has not been able to get my deductible back from Esurance.

Had a similar experience before. I'm also with Geico and it took almost exactly one year to get my deductible back.

• Informative
Reactions: Garlan Garner
Great thread. My first renewal came up since the current policy ends on 2-23. AAA was looking for $4,173 for the Model 3 on a 4 car policy. The other 3 cars (oldest is 2015) combined totaled $3,540. When I went online to get an Esurance quote I ended up in a chat with a gal who answered several questions and updated the policy quote in real time. The AAA quote had a $2,000 deductible for both comprehensive and collision, and the Esurance deductible for those was less at $1,000. All other coverage was the same in both policies. And thats for 20,000 miles per year too.

The Esurance quote was for $1,600 per year versus the AAA quote of $4,173. Crazy. Unless I'm completely missing something here, it seems like this is an easy (relatively) way to save $2,500.

RT

Reactions: C141medic
Great thread. My first renewal came up since the current policy ends on 2-23. AAA was looking for $4,173 for the Model 3 on a 4 car policy. The other 3 cars (oldest is 2015) combined totaled $3,540. When I went online to get an Esurance quote I ended up in a chat with a gal who answered several questions and updated the policy quote in real time. The AAA quote had a $2,000 deductible for both comprehensive and collision, and the Esurance deductible for those was less at $1,000. All other coverage was the same in both policies. And thats for 20,000 miles per year too.

The Esurance quote was for $1,600 per year versus the AAA quote of $4,173. Crazy. Unless I'm completely missing something here, it seems like this is an easy (relatively) way to save $2,500.

RT

I pay about $1500 for AAA for a 3 with a $1K deductible and all coverages very high, No idea why you have a rate that high. There are plenty of better companies to choose from than Esurance, there is a reason their rates are so low, I would look at other options.

Allstate is
Esurance is part of Allstate. It is a reputable company.
Allstate is not a reputable company. Not sure that any insurance company is "reputable" but Allstate is worse than most. Had homeowners insurance with them. Had a small claim and they hemmed and hawed and only paid after much complaining... Then they refused to renew my insurance.

It’s not esurance but I have Progressive as my insurer. When I stupidly messed up my forward passenger side door, the Progressive adjuster suggested I use the local Tesla Body repair facility. That kind of surprised me because you’d think they’d try to steer me to a shop with more favorable rates for them.

I had Geico for the previous 5 years as my insurer and Progressive blew them out of the water for my M3.

I had an initial estimate of $2200 which I’m considering paying myself to avoid the expected rate hike due to making a claim. If I use my insurance I’m already on the hook for the $500 deductible.

Ok, talked to AAA. The high rate is primarily due to two things: 1) I had a claim last year because I rolled over a concrete parking stop in my Kia Soul EV and had to have the battery cover replaced, 2) The 12,501 - 15,000 yearly miles is "high" per them. The claim caused rates to go up for 3 years, so after this year there would be another high premium.

For the Esurance quote, I asked them if the $138 monthly was set in stone, and it isn't. I won't find out the actual rate until I submit the formal application. Note that I did state that I had a claim recently for an at fault accident. The chat lady said that might influence the final price when they run it through the system.

Basic takeaway is: 1) don't get in any kind of accident, 2) if you do, and it isn't crazy expensive to fix, and you drive an expensive car (hello Tesla), don't file a claim. @JTwo you might want to ask what filing a claim would do to your rates going forward. My guess is that eating the $2,200 would save you 3x that much over the next 3 years.

Secondary takeaway: pretty complicated business, even when there are no accidents involved. When I had the Kia accident and filed the claim, I always wondered why I had to essentially "sign an affidavit" as to whether I was at fault or someone else was at fault. Presumably because I was at fault it ended up causing the large rate increase. The guy at the Kia dealer I went to suggested that the damage caused by the concrete parking stop I rolled over could have just as easily been caused by hitting an object on the road (i.e. not my fault). Glad I didn't take his advice, since when I filed the claim I had to document who all was in the car, where it was when it happened, etc, etc, etc. Must be lots of insurance fraud going on so not entirely unexpected.

RT

Basic takeaway is: 1) don't get in any kind of accident, 2) if you do, and it isn't crazy expensive to fix, and you drive an expensive car (hello Tesla), don't file a claim. @JTwo you might want to ask what filing a claim would do to your rates going forward. My guess is that eating the $2,200 would save you 3x that much over the next 3 years.

RT

Yeah, that’s why I thought of eating the cost. In reality, since I’m already on the hook for a $500 deductible, I’m eating $1700. If the claim was to be way more which I have heard for Tesla repairs, I’d use my insurance.