Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Esurance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Great idea -- I'd really appreciate it if you could update us with what you find out. I'm with AAA (for now), and they're great if/when you have to file a claim, but, ouch. Hard to rationalize staying with them.

I contacted two Tesla certified shops in Atlanta (closest to me) and their favorites are:

1st shop: Esurance, Liberty Mutual, Geico, ALFA, Chubb, Hagerty, Pure, and Protective insurance
2nd shop: Country Financial, Georgia Farm Bureau, Travelers, USAA

The 1st one said Esurance is very easy to work with and rarely gives any trouble with repairs so it seems I am good.

Cheap until you have a claim.

Try to get a Model 3 fixed with their claim division. It ain't gonna happen. They will not support a reputable repair place....Tesla repair is out of the question.

Really cheap premiums though.
Not my experience. I have Allstate or Esurance (they’re both same company). Anyway, a few years had damages to my Subaru totaling approximately 16K and I had the right to take it wherever I wanted for repair. Took it to Subaru body shop and they paid out without hesitation.

Not my experience. I have Allstate or Esurance (they’re both same company). Anyway, a few years had damages to my Subaru totaling approximately 16K and I had the right to take it wherever I wanted for repair. Took it to Subaru body shop and they paid out without hesitation.

Esurance and Allstate may be the same company, but Esurance claims are backed up for miles and they are currently fulfilling claims at backyard garages.

Esurance and Allstate may be the same company, but Esurance claims are backed up for miles and they are currently fulfilling claims at backyard garages.
I don’t t understand why anyone would need to go to a “backyard garage” for repair work. In NJ, you have the right to take your car for repair to any shop you want. The insurance company can’t dictate that. I thought it was similar in all states?

I don’t t understand why anyone would need to go to a “backyard garage” for repair work. In NJ, you have the right to take your car for repair to any shop you want. The insurance company can’t dictate that. I thought it was similar in all states?

I'm not sure you understand what I'm saying.

Esurance is sending people to backyard garages.

DO you work for them or something?

Allstate is just fine. Esurance is not.

Just like AT&T retail stores are great but their authorized dealers aren't

You know what....do what you want. I would NEVER sign up for Esurance. I know of real instances of Esurance customers not being covered at reputable repair shops. Some people here know where I live and they also know my neighbors which is why I won't name who Esurance fouled up. They wouldn't cover my neighbor going back to Tesla for repairs.

I'm not sure you understand what I'm saying.

Esurance is sending people to backyard garages.
I guess I’m not quite sure what you mean by “backyard garages” then? Are you saying Esurance is telling people where to go for repairs? If that’s the case, source please. As I mentioned earlier I haven’t had any issues with Allstate/Esurance, but that was just my experience.

I guess I’m not quite sure what you mean by “backyard garages” then? Are you saying Esurance is telling people where to go for repairs? If that’s the case, source please. As I mentioned earlier I haven’t had any issues with Allstate/Esurance, but that was just my experience.

Yes....that's exactly what I'm saying.

Their client is guilty of an accident and hits someone in a Tesla. They are telling the other guy that they can't go to Tesla for repairs and that they wouldn't cover it.

Allstate and Esurance handle their claims totally different. Their rates are also vastly different.

DO you work for them or something?

Allstate is just fine. Esurance is not.
No, I don’t work for Allstate/Esurance but have been with Allstate for 20+ years. I’m familiar with their practices because I’ve been a policyholder and have had claims experience with them in the past. Curious, do you even have a policy with them to base your experience on? Not trying to defend them or steer anyone towards a specific company but just trying to provide some factual information.

Reactions: preilly44
Note to any concerned: Esurance was NOT originally part of Allstate. They were one if the first companies to sell insurance strickly over the internet (i.e., no brick-and-mortar offices). For some reason, unknown to me, Allstate bought them out several years ago.

Full disclosure: I have been an Allstate customer going back to 1976 or so, first with auto insurance, then renters and homeowners insurance.

• Love
Reactions: Garlan Garner
I used them when they first started. No problems. Never had a claim though. Claims are the true test of any insurance company. You might also consider USAA. Superb customer service.

USAA and Auto club are the two best insurance companies. Yes, when you get a claim you will be glad you have them. USAA, must be a vet or family member of a vet that is living.

No, I don’t work for Allstate/Esurance but have been with Allstate for 20+ years. I’m familiar with their practices because I’ve been a policyholder and have had claims experience with them in the past. Curious, do you even have a policy with them to base your experience on? Not trying to defend them or steer anyone towards a specific company but just trying to provide some factual information.

I keep saying the same thing.

Esurance is not Allstate. I don't care who owns whom. Allstate is good. No problems. Esurance IS NOT.

If you read all of my posts you will know that I have said that I don't have Esurance. I have Geico. Go back and read my posts.

Do you see me trying to steer anyone towards a specific insurance company. Please quote which posts leads you to believe that I'm steering anyone towards anything. This thread is about Esurance and that's all I've talked about.

USAA and Auto club are the two best insurance companies. Yes, when you get a claim you will be glad you have them. USAA, must be a vet or family member of a vet that is living.

My insurance company only comes into play when I'm at fault.

However,

When I'm not at fault in an accident - I deal with the other persons insurance company alone. I don't even need to talk to my insurance company except if I'm having trouble with the insurance company of the person who has hit me.

My son was hit by a person with Esurance a while ago. Esurance would not return our phone calls or schedule to get our car fixed. I THEN had to get my insurance company involved to get my car fixed. Now I had to pay my deductible because my insurance company got involved. Geico STILL has not been able to get my deductible back from Esurance.

If the insurance company of the person who hits you - repairs your car - then you don't have to pay your deductible or even call your insurance company.
Allstate, StateFarm, Gieco, Farmers, Liberty Mutual, and a few other insurance companies pay immediately to get the cars that their clients hit - fixed - and at reputable repair places such as Tesla.

My insurance company only comes into play when I'm at fault.

However,

When I'm not at fault in an accident - I deal with the other persons insurance company alone. I don't even need to talk to my insurance company except if I'm having trouble with the insurance company of the person who has hit me.

My son was hit by a person with Esurance a while ago. Esurance would not return our phone calls or schedule to get our car fixed. I THEN had to get my insurance company involved to get my car fixed. Now I had to pay my deductible because my insurance company got involved. Geico STILL has not been able to get my deductible back from Esurance.

If the insurance company of the person who hits you - repairs your car - then you don't have to pay your deductible or even call your insurance company.
Allstate, StateFarm, Gieco, Farmers, Liberty Mutual, and a few other insurance companies pay immediately to get the cars that their clients hit - fixed - and at reputable repair places such as Tesla.

It's when the lawyers that make you at fault is when you need good insurance. Trust me, don't scrimp on a good company or liability. Insurance companies will throw you under the bus when you are "not at fault". The position of "I'm not at fault" is not a winning bet ever.

It's when the lawyers that make you at fault is when you need good insurance. Trust me, don't scrimp on a good company or liability. Insurance companies will throw you under the bus when you are "not at fault". The position of "I'm not at fault" is not a winning bet ever.

I agree 100% "I'm not at fault" is the most vulnerable position.

I have insurance for 3 reasons:

1. Its the law
2. When I'm at fault and I want my car fixed.
3. When I'm not at fault and when I'm hit by someone covered by some fly-by-night insurance company and I want my car fixed NOW.

Here in Chicago....cab drivers have fly-by-night cheap insurance and its almost impossible to get your car fixed by their insurance - EVEN WHEN THEY HIT YOU.

1. Its the law
3. When I'm not at fault and when I'm hit by someone covered by some fly-by-night insurance company and I want my car fixed NOW.

Here in Chicago....cab drivers have fly-by-night cheap insurance and its almost impossible to get your car fixed by their insurance - EVEN WHEN THEY HIT YOU.

Couldn't you sue the drivers and force the insurance to pay? Chicago might be a little different if the cab companies are owned by the city at all. I know getting hit by a city vehicle made it very difficult to get compensation when I lived there in the mid 2000s. Love Chicago but hate the city government.

Couldn't you sue the drivers and force the insurance to pay? Chicago might be a little different if the cab companies are owned by the city at all. I know getting hit by a city vehicle made it very difficult to get compensation when I lived there in the mid 2000s. Love Chicago but hate the city government.

Absolutely. I could sue the insurance company. Sure.

Court Costs? Lawyer Costs?

I keep saying the same thing.

Esurance is not Allstate. I don't care who owns whom. Allstate is good. No problems. Esurance IS NOT.

If you read all of my posts you will know that I have said that I don't have Esurance. I have Geico. Go back and read my posts.

Do you see me trying to steer anyone towards a specific insurance company. Please quote which posts leads you to believe that I'm steering anyone towards anything. This thread is about Esurance and that's all I've talked about.
Never said you were trying to steer anyone towards a specific company. If you read my post I indicated I wasn’t trying to steer anyone towards a specific company and was trying to provide factual information based on my experience. And FYI, your state is not a “no-fault” state whereas NJ is. So perhaps that’s one reason why there are differences in how claims are handled?

I had zero problems getting a claim through Esurance and repaired using the best Audi shop in my area. However, the next renewal came in at like $12,000 a year which I guess was their way of saying goodbye.

If they’re giving you good rates, I think they’re a good choice based off my experience. But be prepared to find a new carrier after an at fault claim!

1. Its the law

4) You are not at fault and you get sued and you need a good company to back you. The most important aspect of insurance is liability, anyone with less than 1M in coverage in a big city is taking a big risk. 500K in liability insurance may seem like good coverage but today it is not in metro areas. There is a significant difference between how good companies cover you in cases like this vs others. Extra liability is not very expensive, umbrella policies are affordable. Even in a bad accident if you are found partially at fault you can exceed your limits. My brother was hit by a woman that rolled down her driveway into traffic and he was found partially at fault because he "did not take steps to avoid her". This is the reality of our system today.

• Informative
Reactions: C141medic