Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EU and SAE J1772 adapter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I remember reading somewhere that adapters provided by the OEM manufacturer are okay. Third party adapters are not. Or something like that.
Nope, all vehicle side adapters are not allowed (regardless of manufacturer). However, the subtle point is that even though it's part of the IEC standard right now, it takes a while for it to trickle all the way through to local/national regulations in the EU. So right now it may not be part of the law yet (I'm sure Tesla's lawyers are monitoring this), so they might be able to make adapters right now for this reason.
Adaptors shall not be used to connect a vehicle connector to a vehicle inlet
http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/show...nnector/page47?p=195461&viewfull=1#post195461

The 2013 Leaf manual actually has this line listed also in reference to the standards on page 9-5:
https://owners.nissanusa.com/conten...sanLEAF/2013/2013-NissanLEAF-owner-manual.pdf

Nope, all vehicle side adapters are not allowed (regardless of manufacturer). However, the subtle point is that even though it's part of the IEC standard right now, it takes a while for it to trickle all the way through to local/national regulations in the EU. So right now it may not be part of the law yet (I'm sure Tesla's lawyers are monitoring this), so they might be able to make adapters right now for this reason.[/URL]

Damn! I always tought that Model S should have had a native Combo2 inlet :(

Nope, all vehicle side adapters are not allowed (regardless of manufacturer). However, the subtle point is that even though it's part of the IEC standard right now, it takes a while for it to trickle all the way through to local/national regulations in the EU. So right now it may not be part of the law yet (I'm sure Tesla's lawyers are monitoring this), so they might be able to make adapters right now for this reason.

That's a bad rule.

I ran into this problem when going through CE testing for my J1772 adapter for the Roadster. It was a while ago now but I think the discussion came around to whether the design of the device took into consideration all the safety requirements of 61851 and 62196 in addition to legal compliance. CE was aiming for uniform testing standards across all of the EU, however it became a little murky whether it was a law (which depended on the country) and whether it was safe when there were conflicts within the standards. There are, in fact, some very serious safety issues with using adapters when you have to supply your own cable as is required in most of Europe. The cable contains passive components that let the charging station know how many amps the cable is capable of. An adapter has no way of doing this. For example if you plugged your 32A cable into a 40A charging station, the station would automatically scale the pilot signal down to 32A so you would draw no more than that. But what if I'm also using an adapter that is only rated for 20A? Now it's dangerous.

Tesla may very well be asking a lot of the same questions. I'm curious how they'll respond to the J1772 -> Type II adapter question. If an adapter is capable of the highest abuse that could exist in the most demanding environment allowed by the standard, and it actually makes that environment safer, I can see how it's possible to interpret 62196 to conclude the adapter is in compliance. In some cases only the vehicle manufacturer can make that judgement, which might be where Doug got the idea it was possible for them to do it. The CAN adapter has no components rated for less than 80A. Some countries don't allow single phase charging above 16A, while others allow 70A even though 3-ph charging cannot be more than 63A (I think?) according to 62196.