TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

EV bus 150kW charging system in Belgium

Discussion in 'Electric Vehicles' started by ecarfan, Feb 16, 2017.

1. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

ABB wins multiple orders for electric bus charging stations

Quote: "The charging stations will fully charge the electric hybrid buses with 150kW of charging power in three to six minutes during layover times at the bus route’s end points... The state-of-the-art charging stations are capable of fully charging full-size hybrid-electric and all-electric buses. Both types take just three to six minutes to charge during a layover at the bus route’s end points."

That doesn't sound right. Don't see how an all-electric bus could be charged up from a very low state to something near full in 6 minutes or less with a 150kW charger.

2. TexasEV

TexasEV Well-Known Member

That's just adding some charge during the day when it's stopped. Mostly it's charged after it's finished service for the day.

3. Candleflame

Candleflame Member

a bus only uses like 4-6x as much fuel as a car. However, as an EV it'll be more effective and only travels at low speeds. So presume something like 800-1000watt/mile is probably realistic. so to keep topping it up with 6 kwh every once in a while is probably quite effective. Don't forget that the bus driver will get a 20min break every 4 hours.

4. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

Thanks for the comments, and I agree. My problem with the article was this part that I quoted (holding mine):

Quote: "The charging stations will fully charge the electric hybrid buses with 150kW of charging power in three to six minutes..."

The word "fully" should not have been used. As written, the sentence states that the bus can be completely charged in 6 minutes or less.

5. schonelucht

schonelucht Active Member

Article is about hybrid buses, not all-electric.