Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EV tariffs - really only 3 at the moment?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

DaveW

May 21, 2019
Beds, UK
My Octopus deal finally (😭) runs out in March this year, was about to update my online calc to check out the prices, but with the world as it is still, I can only really find three?

Octopus Go
Octopus Intelligent
British Gas Electric Drivers

Is that right?

EDF have stopped theirs, OVO doesn't seem to quote an EV Drive offering any more, despite their website still listing it, Scottish Power won't quote and Bulb have been absorbed by Octopus.

Doesn't feel like there's a huge amount of choice out there! Please let me know if there are others that I've failed to find.

My Octopus deal finally (😭) runs out in March this year, was about to update my online calc to check out the prices, but with the world as it is still, I can only really find three?

Octopus Go
Octopus Intelligent
British Gas Electric Drivers

Is that right?

EDF have stopped theirs, OVO doesn't seem to quote an EV Drive offering any more, despite their website still listing it, Scottish Power won't quote and Bulb have been absorbed by Octopus.

Doesn't feel like there's a huge amount of choice out there! Please let me know if there are others that I've failed to find.
just one comment - you should update your charge your tesla to include updated pricing.

also you should add IO as another line, with 6 hrs of IO tarrif

I'm not sure that anyone allows you to change supplier now, you are fortunate to be an Octopus customer already.

The turmoil in the market and government price capping means there is no longer a functioning market, especially after March since the government haven't announced what will happen with the price cap.

Reactions: pow216
just one comment - you should update your charge your tesla to include updated pricing.

also you should add IO as another line, with 6 hrs of IO tarrif
Was about to do that, but looks like I'm chopping out 4 options / suppliers!

I'm not sure that anyone allows you to change supplier now, you are fortunate to be an Octopus customer already.

The turmoil in the market and government price capping means there is no longer a functioning market, especially after March since the government haven't announced what will happen with the price cap.
I think Octopus are still allowing new customers on, but as you say, most don't seem to be allowing a change.

Strange times!!

Well, this makes for some sad calculating

3 measly options 😅

Also took me a little while to work out how I made this thing in the first place to get the reds/greens to work.

Looks like Go or Intelligent is still the way to go for me, wondering if I've got enough "spare" for home battery to charge up overnight to power the house during the day, try and make the bills a bit more palatable, not that it'll help with the mad gas prices, roll on t-shirt weather! :D

I'm confused.. what if I only rarely need to charge, and the "usual slot" would be more than enough? 23:30 - 05:30 is more than I'd ever need.
Then use it.
However, if you want to use the dryer at say 9pm ( as opposed to 2am) you can.

To expand.
I'm on a looped supply.
I never charge at 7kw.
I've advised Octopus that my max amp will be 20.
With this, I often get a cheaper tariff by 6pm.

• Helpful
Reactions: Durzel
Then use it.
However, if you want to use the dryer at say 9pm ( as opposed to 2am) you can.

To expand.
I'm on a looped supply.
I never charge at 7kw.
I've advised Octopus that my max amp will be 20.
With this, I often get a cheaper tariff by 6pm.
Ah right.. sorry I should've clarified - I've got a separate electrical connection just for charging my car, so there would be zero usage outside of the times I need to charge it.