Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

3 Phase smart meter + EV tariff

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Dave_P

Mar 21, 2024
UK
Hi all,

First time poster, and actively looking at a Model Y - which has also obviously prompted me to also start investigating our electricity supply / tariff etc...

We look to have a pretty unusual setup.... 3-phase incoming, which splits out into 3 separate single phase meters.... only one of which is active, which then feeds into our consumer unit.
IMG_6056.jpeg

Initial request for a smart meter from Scottish Power resulted in a non-3-phase guy turning up (despite me mentioning it at least 4 times when booking the appointment) - this then resulted in another call to the call center where the guy wasn't even sure I'd be able to have an EV tariff if I had a 3-phase smart meter ?!!

There's a couple of posts on here which mention potential issues with 3-phase and smart meters, so I'd appreciate if someone can help me understand...

a) I can indeed have a 3-phase smart meter AND a smart tariff right ??
b) Do I need a specific type of 3-phase smart meter to achieve this ?
c) Do I need to be with a specific supplier to increase my chances of getting the 'right' type of smart meter ?
d) Worst case scenario - could I simply upgrade my single phase meter to a single phase smart meter ? (given that we are only using one phase currently)

Thanks!
Dave.

Note that the Tesla will only charge at 11kW/hr on 3 phase due to the limitations of the on-board charger. So question (e) should be do you really need that extra 3.6kW over the single phase speed of approx 7.4kW/hr given the extra cost and complexity.

3 phase smart meters exist.. you just need someone with clue to install it - probably not scottish power, based on my limited dealings with them :/

If you're only using 1 phase you can just disconnect the two unused phases and use a standard smart meter.. you're possibly paying a standing charge on the unused meters too.

The issue isn't so much that I NEED 3-phase... certainly not currently... but even a single phase meter install still requires a 3-phase qualified technician to attend the install -

The guy who came last week wasn't allowed to touch the install because he wasn't 3-phase qualified.

So if a 3-phase guy has to be here anyway, I thought it made sense (futureproofing) to get a 3-phase smart meter from the off.

Reactions: Lance From Jax