Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EV tariffs - really only 3 at the moment?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The API to PowerWall looks OK to me (some exceptions), but so far all that I have found is boy's-own stuff, no polished 3rd party APP.

The only negative I've seen (in powerWall API) so far is inability to tell it to charge up. You can set the reserve to 100%, which will achieve that, but the rate of charge is "modest" which means, for example, that it won't fill up in a 4 hour slot. So still have to set an "Off Peak" slot for the overnight period (which does, then, charge "flat out"), but that's only useful during Winter, and in Autumn / Spring the ability to adjust it dynamically would help a lot ... in Spring I need it to definitely NOT fill right up overnight because although the day does not have enough to charge the battery to 100% (i.e. I need to start the dday with some "grid charge") the sun is up at, say, 7AM and therefore the amount of discharge from end of off peak, to sun up, is not enough to prevent export (if the battery is at 100% at end of Off Peak)

Basically, I want to set a MAX CHARGE "Reserve" based on a prediction for tomorrow's sun and then command "Charge FLAT OUT". Currently I would need to (manually) adjust the timeslot for OFF PEAK rate ...

So once the API allows "Start charging from GRID" (i.e. flat out!) then just setting reserve will be enough ... I reckon!
The GivEnergy app is already very flexible and the desk-top portal even moreso. I think they have a demo version if you wanted to have a look around.

The app allows you to set a charge level, time slot and also charge rate (watts). You can also set a reserve % in there too. So it's pretty handy to configure. At the moment I'm simply setting the charging time slot to coincide with Octopus Go Faster and then flexing the charge level to match what ullage I think I need the following day. This is pretty easy at the moment as I'm charging to 90% most of the time given that solar is very limited. Come April (ish) I want to be able to automate this based on Solcast predictions and fortunately a lot of this work has already been done and proven.

Some users have configured all manner of permutations and the Giv system allows this as far as I can tell.

Whilst GivEnergy are having to pedal fast to keep up with demand, and to be fair some cracks are showing; their app, portal and general integration capabilites are really very impressive. Worth a look. If they can bring their "Powerwall killer" to market efficiently and at sensible money, then Tesla will need to step up and in no small order. The next 12 - 18 months will be interesting.

Reactions: ACarneiro
at the moment as I'm charging to 90%

Is there a reason not to charge to 100% (maybe you don;t need that much Off Peak energy 9stored) to get through the day?

a lot of this work has already been done and proven

Is there a location where this is available (GitHub or similar perhaps?). I'd be interested to take a look at what sort of things have been implemented

I have 19kwh of storage and don't need all of it - I designed in a bit extra for future proofing and facility to move further away from gas, although quite a lot still to do there. The batteries are LiFePO4 and designed for 100% charging but I'm trying to exercise the BMS by working up and down the charge range. The BMS is one area where GivEnergy is not great although the new beta firmware apparently fixes the drift issues which can happen. The batteries also have extra "hidden" capacity so they are 100% charge and discharge capable.

A Google search on GivTCP will give you a start ref the integration. There is also some Python stuff on GitHub I believe.

Reactions: WannabeOwner
Is there a reason not to charge to 100% (maybe you don;t need that much Off Peak energy 9stored) to get through the day?

Is there a location where this is available (GitHub or similar perhaps?). I'd be interested to take a look at what sort of things have been implemented
Sorry not sure why my last post didn't go in as a reply with quotes.

I'll also see if I can find the python code as well as the GivTCP references. Cheers

10kw+ of pylontech batteries + Sofar me3000 thrown in today with not a lot of grief.
Discharge limited to 20% by the slightly aged sw version.
The sofar data dongle is a ruddy mare to configure, with the app running a close 2nd.

Here's that PV load manager code which may be worth a look. Very GivEnergy specific though:

Reactions: WannabeOwner
With inflation in double digits, big ticket expenditure is not a bad thing.
I'm self installing, so I've saved few quid.
I'm taking the same approach as above.. also,, as I'm fitting it, I can as easily remove.
DaveNN. I'm sort of self installing but will come unstuck with the commissioning. GivEnergy insits on having an approved installer to link the inverter to their web service. They also say no guarantee if you are not qualified.
How have you got around this?
Thnx.

DaveNN. I'm sort of self installing but will come unstuck with the commissioning. GivEnergy insits on having an approved installer to link the inverter to their web service. They also say no guarantee if you are not qualified.
How have you got around this?
Thnx.
My supplier of the solar system will issue a MCS/help with the DNO , on the supply of photos of the install..
The Sofar inverter and batteries are warranted.
No issues with connecting to the Sofar apps.