Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EV trip plan gurus: how would this look w/ Model S (How to See 48 States in 5 Days)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I came across this interesting article by Ken Jennings (of Jeopardy fame):
How to See 48 U.S. States in 5 Days
What would August be without that American institution, the carefree summer road trip? Thumb through a road atlas: What would your dream destination be? The Grand Canyon? The Outer Banks? Disney World? The Wisconsin Dells? You know, instead of choosing, you could just try to visit every state in the lower 48. How long would it take? How much mileage would you put on the family car? And how many bathroom breaks is that, anyway? The answer to all of the above is "less than you think."

Got me wondering - how might you plan something similar using the Supercharger network and a Model S? Would it look much different in terms of route and total time compared to the optimum trip via ICE? What percent of the necessary route could you drive using Autopilot? And could you do the trip in a 60, or would you need a P100D?

As much as I love driving my Model S, I still haven't had a chance to take a road trip longer than a few hundred miles in it, so I certainly don't have the experience to plan such a daunting trip. Nor do I have the will or stamina to drive for so long a distance all in one go anyhow.

So I leave it as an excercise for all you EV trip planning Gurus out there to ponder. Discuss.

There's still might be just enough time to squeeze in a road trip before the end of the Labour Day long weekend...

Using the route shown you would fail on the leg from West Wendover to Las Vegas at 2/3 of the way to Vegas. Tesla would need to put in at least one supercharger on US 93 south of West Wendover.

If there was a supercharger at Ely, NV then a 90D Model S could probably make it but not the other cars. They would need another one at Crystal Springs, NV.

Using the route shown you would fail on the leg from West Wendover to Las Vegas at 2/3 of the way to Vegas. Tesla would need to put in at least one supercharger on US 93 south of West Wendover.

If there was a supercharger at Ely, NV then a 90D Model S could probably make it but not the other cars. They would need another one at Crystal Springs, NV.
I didn't know the Supercharger situation in Nevada but now I see that big void along 93.
Seems like you could still approximate the ICE route for that general section by skipping West Wendover and instead taking a big detour through Salt Lake City via I-5 & I-84, between Las Vegas and Twin Falls. Several Superchargers along that route, but adds ~100miles.

Any other problem areas with the original route in the article? how about S Dakota, taking a quick look at supercharge.info it looks like a dearth of SC in northern half of that state too