Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EVX Approved as provisional class, now with rules!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's nice to see that my car follows the new ruleset closely. I think they got this one right. Especially leaving out any allowances that could hurt the cars for daily driving (seats, steering wheel, aero), while recognizing the current aftermarket and allowing spherical bushings. National events will be freaky when EV class rolls up and the whole event goes silent for a few minutes!

This is pretty awesome. My M3P is compliant here (wider wheels, coilovers, camber arms), and in that setup it's basically dominant in raw time against some very fast, prepped, gutted cars. Nice to see them recognizing the suspension as the place we can actually do some improvement on EV's right now without making them full race cars.

The main issue is that out of that list of cars, only the M3P is competitive. I can't imagine any other car on the list being able to run anywhere close to a M3P on an AutoX course, so it's kind of a one car class. Never seen a Taycan at AutoX yet, but I assume the weight and size of it overwhelms any raw performance it has like happens with the Model S.

The main issue is that out of that list of cars, only the M3P is competitive. I can't imagine any other car on the list being able to run anywhere close to a M3P on an AutoX course, so it's kind of a one car class. Never seen a Taycan at AutoX yet, but I assume the weight and size of it overwhelms any raw performance it has like happens with the Model S.
I could see them splitting up the class down the road, but if the Model 3 Performance didn’t exist, I think it’s safe to say neither would this class. I don’t know what it weighs, but maybe the Mach-e GT could be a player once lowered?

Reactions: gearchruncher
Seems to outlaw the MPP Party Box though, which will knee-cap any non-Performance 3.
Without that though, any hack that ups power would be allowed, and it's really not going to be that hard to mess with an EV to get it to output way more power if you don't care about anything except an AutoX run. You can't slap a turbo on a NA Subaru just because Subaru also sells a WRX. This does allow Tesla's "acceleration increase" option because it's a known quantity, but that still doesn't get you track mode which is crucial to making a M3 go fast.

Without that though, any hack that ups power would be allowed, and it's really not going to be that hard to mess with an EV to get it to output way more power if you don't care about anything except an AutoX run. You can't slap a turbo on a NA Subaru just because Subaru also sells a WRX. This does allow Tesla's "acceleration increase" option because it's a known quantity, but that still doesn't get you track mode which is crucial to making a M3 go fast.
I mean, at the moment it's gonna be a model 3 class. Explicitly allowing messing with wheel sensors wouldn't have opened the door to power bumps, but would have allowed LRAWD+ people a decent chance locally.

Explicitly allowing messing with wheel sensors wouldn't have opened the door to power bumps
Does the party box only mess with wheel sensors? I guess I thought it also bumped the power. I must have been thinking of the Electrified Garage stuff. But you never know with an EV how it manages power and with some architectures this could lead to large power increases. But overall I think I agree with you, they probably should have allowed that until it proved to be unfair, given how manufacturers like Tesla are already willing to sell you this function OEM, and it is still an X class.

Yeah, a single on-power spin would be a dead give-away.

I'm just a ham fisted rusty nut, but I've had some nice 4WD power on spins in the wet with track mode, so thankfully that isn't a clear giveaway.

Last edited:
Does seem to not allow the usage of the MPP lower control arm bushings (if you do camber swap which is necessary). Also disallows replacing all 4 rear arms, can only replace 2.
Bushings are open, so the MPP lower control arm bushings are allowed because they must be pressed into the OEM LCA's.

For the rear, the verbiage is a little confusing. I'm reading it as you can only replace one arm that adjusts camber, so does that mean toe arms are allowed? Might have to submit a letter for clarification.