Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Excited and confused

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I think NovemberXray said I can use existing charger. I hope that’s what he said. He said if I use new charger I have to buy 14-50 plug for cable charger.

I was under the impression you have a NEMA 14-50 outlet, and you’re using the mobile charger that came with the Model X along with the 14-50 adapter to charge. Each Tesla comes with a mobile charging cable so that you can charger your car at a variety of places. If you still have the X and it’s mobile charger, then I am pretty sure you could use it to charge the Y. However, the Y comes with its own, newer generation mobile charger, but does not include a 14-50 adapter, so you need to get one from Tesla for about $30 I think to use it with your outlet.

I was under the impression you have a NEMA 14-50 outlet, and you’re using the mobile charger that came with the Model X along with the 14-50 adapter to charge. Each Tesla comes with a mobile charging cable so that you can charger your car at a variety of places. If you still have the X and it’s mobile charger, then I am pretty sure you could use it to charge the Y. However, the Y comes with its own, newer generation mobile charger, but does not include a 14-50 adapter, so you need to get one from Tesla for about $30 I think to use it with your outlet.
I bought my charger cable from Tesla. It didn’t come with car. Think it was rated up to 40 amp or watts.

I bought my charger cable from Tesla. It didn’t come with car. Think it was rated up to 40 amp or watts.

All Tesla’s come with a mobile charger that you generally keep in the car. Are you talking about the home wall charger you can buy from Tesla and install at home? Is your charger permanently installed? If so, then it will definitely work with any Tesla.

This is the wall charger: Wall Connector

This is the old mobile charger that came with your 2016 X: Corded Mobile Connector

This is the charger that comes with the Y: Gen 2 Mobile Connector Bundle

And this is the adapter you would need to plug your Y into a NEMA 14-50, 50amp outlet: Gen 2 NEMA Adapters

• Informative
Reactions: Electric Steve
All Tesla’s come with a mobile charger that you generally keep in the car. Are you talking about the home wall charger you can buy from Tesla and install at home? Is your charger permanently installed? If so, then it will definitely work with any Tesla.

This is the old mobile charger that came with your 2016 X: Corded Mobile Connector

And this is the adapter you would need to plug your Y into a NEMA 14-50, 50amp outlet: Gen 2 NEMA Adapters

Thank you what I have is Corded Mobile connector that came with car. Will this work?

Yes, the old corded Mobile Connector from the X would work on the Y, however the Y comes with its own newer Mobile Connector, and I would advise getting the appropriate NEMA adapter for that and using it. If you're selling the X, the mobile connector should be kept with the vehicle.

In addition to this generally Tesla will require the old one to be turned in with the trade in.

I don't think the quality issue is due to the pandemic, rather Tesla rushing to get Q1 numbers. Some of the quality defects are very disappointing. As far as the panel alignment and paint imperfection goes, I think Tesla owners on this forum are focused much more on this than most car buyers. After seeing all if the issues, I looked carefully at my $80K F450. I've enjoyed this vehicle three years without noticing that it has similar build quality as far as panel alignment and paint imperfections as most of the Model Y pictures I've seen.

Broken seat backs, interior clips, cameras not plugged in, dirt on the headliner, etc. are a different story. To me, these defects show a general focus on speed over quality. I'm glad that I won't get my first Tesla for at least a few months, because I'm concerned that the lack of build care might extend into critical components that aren't so visible.

The defects are not due to the pandemic, nor are they due to Tesla rushing to make the quarter.

The defects exist only because we, Tesla's core customer group, give them a pass on them. They would improve their production processes if they thought the current process was hurting sales or if they thought a better process would improve them. It would be hard to make a case that either of those are true.

Yes, the old corded Mobile Connector from the X would work on the Y, however the Y comes with its own newer Mobile Connector, and I would advise getting the appropriate NEMA adapter for that and using it. If you're selling the X, the mobile connector should be kept with the vehicle.
So my cable charger is in car waiting for driver to deliver Y. They are sending 14-50 adapter. I really appreciate the support this group offers. A really informed member group. I’m so excited. Damn, he was supposed to be here at 1:00 and haven’t heard from driver yet. I’m too excited.

The defects are not due to the pandemic, nor are they due to Tesla rushing to make the quarter.

The defects exist only because we, Tesla's core customer group, give them a pass on them. They would improve their production processes if they thought the current process was hurting sales or if they thought a better process would improve them. It would be hard to make a case that either of those are true.
It's some of the above, really. But the bottom line is that they decided it would work out better for them to ship cars with (mostly cosmetic) defects and fix them only when asked.

Reactions: FredMertz
So my cable charger is in car waiting for driver to deliver Y. They are sending 14-50 adapter. I really appreciate the support this group offers. A really informed member group. I’m so excited. Damn, he was supposed to be here at 1:00 and haven’t heard from driver yet. I’m too excited.
Hope everything went well. Can’t wait to see pictures!

Oh, so your contribution to the 17 million unemployed is that you won’t complain of paint defects when you pick up your new $50k Tesla but instead enjoy it to the fullest? How noble of you - I’m sure those without jobs will be overjoyed you made that personal sacrifice.

I wouldn’t complain if there was no covid pandemic either. IMHO just a bunch of 1st world babies. It’s a car, not a person and you can’t take it with you once you die. No car leaves the factory perfect. I’d rather a reliable car with a blemish over a unreliable car that “looks great”. To each their own, but for me this behavior is very superficial and smacks of entitlement.

Are you telling me if you went to pick up your brand new car and there was a massive dent in the hood you would just say "wow this is a great car, I'm so blessed to have it. Thank you Tesla!". I doubt you would. I'm sure you would say "umm why is there a big dent in my hood? You guys are going to fix that right?"

Nothing wrong with what these people are doing. Their expectations were not met, and they are voicing their concern about it to other like minded people who are thinking of purchasing, or already own their same vehicle.

Your comprehension of the English language is silly. You classify a “massive dent” as minor, I do not. The fact that you classify paint bubbles on the same category as a massive dent only denotes you must be a nightmare for anyone who works customer service.

Last edited:
Your comprehension of the English language is silly. You classify a “massive dent” as minor, I do not. The fact that you classify paint bubbles on the same category as paint bubbles only denotes you must be a nightmare for anyone who works customer service.

just curious, would you NOT classify paint bubbles as the same category as paint bubbles?

• Funny
Reactions: theganjaguru
Your comprehension of the English language is silly. You classify a “massive dent” as minor, I do not. The fact that you classify paint bubbles on the same category as a massive dent only denotes you must be a nightmare for anyone who works customer service.

Are we talking about paint bubbles here or are we talking about the very misaligned panels, the broken interior trim pieces, the grease marks all over the brand new interior, the broken glass on delivery, the hatches not closing correctly, the rear seats not folding down using the switch as they should, the rear seats not lining up at all, the paint over spray all over the plastic trim pieces of the car, etc, etc. Many of the cars have ALL of these issues at the same time. So no my example was not equating paint bubbles to a massive dent. I was just illustrating that their may be cases (IE a massive dent in the hood) when you or anyone else would reject a car due to quality control issues. So if you can honestly say if your brand new car that you were so excited for, rolls out with the above issues on it you would just say "Thank you for delivering this damaged brand new vehicle to me Tesla" and walk away, then more power to you, but the vast majority of people would expect better.

Pretty sure this thread was supposed to be about the OP and his charging cord situation.....not another rant on how a car that’s basically shipped to you from the factory has defects, where other brands ship to dealerships who sit on it for months.