Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Setting up Model Y home charger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm such a newbie at this, it's embarrassing.

I just ordered a model Y and mobile charger because I wasn't sure how to set up for the Universal Wall Connector.

We have a 100 amp home circuit panel which is pretty much maxed out except for two 15 amp breakers that supplied power (240v) to a no longer existent electric clothes dryer, which I'm hoping can be used for the Universal Wall Connector. And I guess it all boils down to 2 questions for dummies like me:

1. What should I tell our licensed electrician to do with these to power the UWC? I gather (correctly?) that best case requirement is a 48 amp power source, but it can be dialed back to 32 amps in the vehicle. What is the magic combination here to make those 2 breakers work with the UWC, or is it even advisable?

2. Or, would it be best to run that 240v line to my garage for use with the mobile adapter? That sure seems a LOT simpler, but even after reading the manual I can't determine how long that would take to provide a full charge. Could y'all take pity on me and let me know how long that would be for my model Y?
TIA!
Richard

Welcome to the club, it's all good.

Where is the outlet for the dryer located (assuming garage)?

Check out the battery/charging subform, lots of great discussions there on similar questions (see user posts by RockyH and JCanoe).

At a high level I would start with the electrician performing a loading check on your panel and see how much you can supply to the car.

Once that is done they can size the breakers appropriately (may stay at 2x 15A or go up/down depending on load analysis).

The max that you can charge at is 80% of the available amperage. So if you have 30A @240V available on your panel the max charge rate will be 24A @240V (code requirement for continuous usage).

My preference would be to install a dedicated charger (like the Tesla one). No need for a GFCI and it is more robust that plugging/unplugging mobile connector. The amperage is set during the commissioning of the wall unit. Then you can throw the mobile connector in your car for travelling.

Good luck.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP and jjrandorin
Congrats on buying the world's best selling vehicle!

These are really questions for your electrician. It's certainly not bad to educate yourself and try to gather some opinions beforehand though.

I'm not an electrician, but definitely feel strong about a hardwired EVSE (Like Tesla's HPWC) vs the mobile. This recent thread has two examples of fires resulting from poor quality receptacles and/or installations. Hardwired installations reduce the chances of failures like these, and typically end up costing less because you don't need to buy an expensive GFCI breaker and high end receptacle.

As for the actual electrical work to be done, the electrician will need to calculate your existing load on the panel to ensure there's enough energy left for this purpose.

You'll likely get better advice from the very experienced members on this forum by posting photos of your panel(s) and providing the distance to your garage as well as any other details (detached garage?).

I liked to think of my install as a long-term home improvement (as opposed to just "I need a place to plug in").

Ideally you could get a 60 amp breaker as well as the proper wiring / conduit for full 48A charging, but with a 100A service, that's not going to happen. Perhaps you can pitch a service upgrade while you're at it (some people get this done for as low as $1,000... but that's a great price and more like what a subcontractor would charge).

On the cheap end, you could likely make a 240v from the existing 15A garage circuits and get 24A charging... That would *likely* be sufficient for all but the busiest drivers.

A max'ed out breaker panel has nothing to do with available slots, it about how many amps your are drawing. Add up the breakers in use to determine how much more you can draw. You can get a little inventive by figuring your pool motor runs during the day and the Tesla charges at night.

Beyond that, I think everyone should have a Tesla Wall Charger. So for that reason, I'm out.

for-those-reasons-im-out.gif

Congrats on buying the world's best selling vehicle!

These are really questions for your electrician. It's certainly not bad to educate yourself and try to gather some opinions beforehand though.

I'm not an electrician, but definitely feel strong about a hardwired EVSE (Like Tesla's HPWC) vs the mobile. This recent thread has two examples of fires resulting from poor quality receptacles and/or installations. Hardwired installations reduce the chances of failures like these, and typically end up costing less because you don't need to buy an expensive GFCI breaker and high end receptacle.

As for the actual electrical work to be done, the electrician will need to calculate your existing load on the panel to ensure there's enough energy left for this purpose.

You'll likely get better advice from the very experienced members on this forum by posting photos of your panel(s) and providing the distance to your garage as well as any other details (detached garage?).

I liked to think of my install as a long-term home improvement (as opposed to just "I need a place to plug in").

Ideally you could get a 60 amp breaker as well as the proper wiring / conduit for full 48A charging, but with a 100A service, that's not going to happen. Perhaps you can pitch a service upgrade while you're at it (some people get this done for as low as $1,000... but that's a great price and more like what a subcontractor would charge).

On the cheap end, you could likely make a 240v from the existing 15A garage circuits and get 24A charging... That would *likely* be sufficient for all but the busiest drivers.
Thanks, I'm pretty excited about this car. As you suggested, I've attached a photo of our panel. Unfortunately, I'm still confused, electrical systems are absolutely not my forte. The panel and current dryer outlet are about 65' away from the garage wall. From what I gather on the posts you provided, if I ran the 240v line it would be copper with a quality outlet. I get that much, I think.

Predicting overall draw from the panel is difficult because of home appliances, heat & AC, and lots of equipment I run in my workshop.

Attachments

• 100 amp panel.jpg
    100 amp panel.jpg
    484.2 KB · Views: 67
OK, let's play from the top.

You've got a 100A panel and, yeah, I do get it, there may not be much room in the beast. But there's a caveat: Putting in a 200A panel might not be as expensive as you think. The State of New Jersey, for one, actually subsidizes the cost of larger panels (and/or the drop from the power pole to carry the extra current) if the purpose is to charge a BEV. Um. That's you, but you live in New York. Let me do a quick web search.. You might want to read through this and see if any of it applies to you: Alternative Fuels Data Center: Electricity Laws and Incentives in New York

Next: In general, there's two main ways to charge a Tesla, at least if you want to sleep well at night:
  1. Charge it with a Mobile Connector. That the whatsit that comes in a fabric bag that can go in the trunk, but can also be semi-permanently mounted on a wall. It's about $250 or so and about $15 for each of the plethora of adapters that one can get for it. The cable length.. let me go get mine and measure it.. is about 18 feet. Important point, and there will be a quiz later: The maximum current this thing can do is 32A, period.
  2. Charge it with a Wall Connector. Cool, nice: Cable's pretty long, you mount it in the garage somewhere and go to town. It can do up to 48A of charge current. Costs about $475 these days.
Next: There's the car. If you have a Standard Range Tesla (something less than 300 mile range), max current that car can suck down will be 32A, max. It can do less, of course, but 32A is max is what you get. If you have a Long Range or Performance Tesla, then that car's max current is 48A.

Next, let's talk about costs for new installations. This may or may not be you, but let's cover the bases.

First: if you're putting in something like a NEMA14-50 socket, you'll need, first, a high quality socket, not that $BS they sell at Home Depot. That's a couple hundred. And, if you're doing this to code, you'll need a GFCI for that socket, given that we're talking garages, damp, and all that. That's also close to a couple hundred smackers. Add to that the cost of the mobile connector and, ta-da! turns out that it's cheaper to put in a Wall Connector, which has its own built-in GFCI. (Note: Running the appropriate length wire, of the correct gauge, is about the same for both.)

Let's hit the famous NEC 80% rule: Max current on a circuit for a continuous heavy load is 80% of the circuit rating. Got a 120 VAC 15A circuit with a breaker to match? Max current is 80% of that, or 12A. Want to have a 48A load @ 240 VAC? Then the circuit rating (i.e., the size of the breaker/wire) has to be 60A minimum, since 80% of 60A is 48A. You don't mess with this rule: Violating it results in house fires, Which You Really Don't Want To Do.

Now for the easy one. Say you've got a 120 VAC 15A socket in the garage; usually, those have a single breaker hooked to it. Max power that can be drawn is 120 VAC @ 12A (that 80% rule again) which is 1440 W. Your Model Y gets about 280 W-hr/mile, so your charge rate is 1440W/(280W-hr/mile) = 5.1 miles of charge per hour. There's two problems with this rate:
  • 5.1 miles of charge per hour for a car that's plugged in overnight from, say, 6 p.m. to 8 a.m. (14 hours) is 72 miles. Um. That's not a lot.
  • In cold weather, down in the teens or something, the car has to warm up the battery before it'll take a charge. The power to do that is pretty blame close to that 1440W; I've seen a Model 3, in cold weather, charge at 1 mile of charge per hour, or even zero. (It's a big battery, got a lot of surface area, so it needs at least a couple kW to get the thing warm. Once warm, it's OK.)
So, 240 VAC is cool. What you say you have: A duplex 15A breaker on 240 VAC. Hm. Wonder what kind of socket you've got, there, one sec.
1697249641168.png

(Above is courtesy of Wikipedia's NEMA connector page.)
So, I'm a-guessing that, if the drier installation was Done Right, you've likely got a NEMA6-15 socket, that being the only 240 VAC @ 15A socket that's out there. (The breaker current rating, the current rating of the wire in the wall, and the socket are supposed to match. Take no wooden nickels.) And, as it happens, Tesla does sell a NEMA6-15 adapter for the Mobile Connector.

So: 240 VAC @ 12A (remember the 80% rule) gets you 2.88 kW. Charge rate, according to Tesla: 10 miles of charge per hour. In 14 hours, that'll get you 140 miles. Which is 2X better than that 120 VAC socket.. but it's still not wonderful.

Say what you really want is that if you plug your car in, near empty, when you get home at night, it'll be charged up to 80% of max (which is normal for NIMH batteries). Suppose you've got a 320 mile range car: 80% of that is about 260 miles. Say you plug it in when its got 40 miles left, so you need 220 miles of charge in 14 hours. That's a charge rate of 220/14 = 15.7 miles of charge per hour. Looking at Tesla's Charge Rate graph, you'd likely want a NEMA10-30 or NEMA14-30 socket and a 30A drop to the socket.

But, at this point, you're talking new construction, since you don't have any socket like that. And pulling wire for that and putting in a new socket probably calls for an inspection.. and it's GFCI city. Conclusion: If you can stick a 30A 240VAC breaker in your box, you do that, put in a Wall Connector to connect to it, and continue on your way.

Finally: There's this thing called a Load Calculation that electricians do. It's a National Electric Code Standard. The electrician looks at your panel, looks at the square footage of your house, the loads caused by the appliances (and not the drier that's not there) and comes up with a number of How Many Additional Amps your panel can support. You tell the fellow that you'd like 30A if possible; you might get surprised if he tells you, "60A is no problem."

And check and see if there's some subsidy for putting in a bigger panel for these purposes.

Got any further questions? Ask 'em.

Worth mentioning - you might be able to have a sales advisor switch the mobile connector with a wall connector on your order, it really is the better way to go.

I got a mobile connector with my car... figured I'd keep it in the car *just in case* for road trips... it's been used exactly ZERO times.

There's a poll on here somewhere about them. Some people use theirs regularly for charging, but there are a boatload of people that just stick one in their trunk and never, ever use it.

Reactions: GSP and jjrandorin
Tronguy,

Wow. Double wow. Thanks SO much for your phenomenal reply. I'll definitely provide this to my electrician and see what happens. Fingers crossed!

Richard
Worth mentioning - you might be able to have a sales advisor switch the mobile connector with a wall connector on your order, it really is the better way to go.

I got a mobile connector with my car... figured I'd keep it in the car *just in case* for road trips... it's been used exactly ZERO times.

There's a poll on here somewhere about them. Some people use theirs regularly for charging, but there are a boatload of people that just stick one in their trunk and never, ever use it.
Not knowing nuttin from nuttin, I ordered the travel charger with the car so I’d at least have something to begin with. I often spend the entire day in my workshop and don’t go out much at night. And it comes with all those adapters. I also have a friend 5 hours away I visit as often as I can and since we never go out (he has medical issues) I can plug into a regular outlet for the 2-3 days I’m there.

Thanks for the suggestion, I have say, that the folks here, including you of course, are incredibly helpful and kind to us newbies and each other.

It’s interesting that everyone says to talk to their sales associate, but the guy who set me up with the demo drives was so overworked that he barely had time for me. He really did try hard, but there was always a line of people and no one there to back him up. I was a bit surprised.

Also... you mentioned "two 15 amp breakers" but if it's the one that's off in your photo it's 30 amps... and if it was for a dryer, 30 amps would make sense (15 doesn't).

As mentioned by others, a 30A breaker / wiring will get you 24A charging (80% rule for continuous loads). That will likely be sufficient for you. It'll be enough that it won't suffer from the "not enough energy to heat the battery in Winter and charge it at the same time" problem that @Tronguy accurately described.

In summary from everything mentioned here, my recommendation would be to switch the mobile connector to a wall connector (it will be better and ultimately cheaper once you factor the added costs of correctly installing a safe receptacle for the mobile connector).

Once you get the wall connector, the two obvious options would be:
  • Use the existing unused dryer circuit (presumed to be 30A) to hardwired. Seems you'll be needing a junction and additional wiring to get this out to the garage. It'll give you 24A charging.... 5.7kW, which would charge your entire battery from 0-100% in 15ish hours depending on the battery.
  • If it's in the budget, upgrade your service to 200A, then run a new 60A (or higher) circuit out to the garage for 48A charging. A great price for this, all-in, would be like $1,500. A decent price around $2k.
Worth mentioning - you won't actually be charging from 0-100%... like never. So the "15ish hours of charging" estimate I made will more realistically be just a few hours a day depending on your mileage. Whatever amount of charge you need per day will still be twice as fast with 48A charging. It likely won't make a bit of difference though, because it'll happen while you sleep.

Also, the service upgrade might sound like overkill... but some people spend $1k or more just having the charger installed, prices are all over the board. And a service upgrade adds value to your home. If you call many electricians for quotes for "EV charger installation", they see dollar signs and will give you a high estimate. But if you're industrious enough to call like 20 electricians and say something like "I'm looking for a 200A service upgrade, my buddy's in HVAC and says it should be like $1,200 bucks... can you do it for that price?"... you'll likely find someone to do it in that price range. Once you get one of them at a low-ball price, tell them you'd also like a 60A circuit in conduit run 65' to the garage.

Reactions: Eric33432
I'm such a newbie at this, it's embarrassing.

I just ordered a model Y and mobile charger because I wasn't sure how to set up for the Universal Wall Connector.

We have a 100 amp home circuit panel which is pretty much maxed out except for two 15 amp breakers that supplied power (240v) to a no longer existent electric clothes dryer, which I'm hoping can be used for the Universal Wall Connector. And I guess it all boils down to 2 questions for dummies like me:

1. What should I tell our licensed electrician to do with these to power the UWC? I gather (correctly?) that best case requirement is a 48 amp power source, but it can be dialed back to 32 amps in the vehicle. What is the magic combination here to make those 2 breakers work with the UWC, or is it even advisable?

2. Or, would it be best to run that 240v line to my garage for use with the mobile adapter? That sure seems a LOT simpler, but even after reading the manual I can't determine how long that would take to provide a full charge. Could y'all take pity on me and let me know how long that would be for my model Y?
TIA!
Richard
Mobile Charger on your 220v (electric dryer) circuit would charge at 32A (about 27miles per hour of charging).
Charging overnight easily accomplished by that setup, and it can go with you on road trips and be used at, for instance, RV parks or friends houses that have an RV.
Additional plug adapters for the MC can be purchased per your needs.
Very cost-effective and flexible =solution.

You would need your electrician to install:
a 14-50 outlet in your garage
conduit and wire to the service panel from the outlet (if your panel is in the garage, this is simple and inexpensive - just disconnect the dryer circuit wires, set them aside)
a GFI circuit breaker in the service panel (depending on your State's code requirements)

Don't forget to look into what your Electric Utility service provider offers in discounts and subsidies.
Also look into IRS FORM 8911 for Fed Govt Refueling Property tax credits

Last edited:
Electrician questions. Don't get your answers here. No way to know who knows and who is misinformed. Besides, you're going to need an electrician so ask him almost all the questions. He may not know things like 60 Amps is highest you can go or that 80% of that is max, but he knows electricity and will keep you safe.
Thanks Jim, he's a really nice guy, quite knowledgeable (at least as far as my feeble mind can tell) and I've been emailing him the information so kindly provided by everyone here. His quote for a new panel was $3200, so I think I'll need more quotes. But in our initial conversation he was very cautionary in his approach so as to make sure every was safe and to code.

Thanks again!
Richard

Mobile Charger on your 220v (electric dryer) circuit would charge at 32A (about 27miles per hour of charging).
Charging overnight easily accomplished by that setup, and it can go with you on road trips and be used at, for instance, RV parks or friends houses that have an RV.

conduit and wire to the service panel from the outlet (if your panel is in the garage, this is simple and inexpensive - just disconnect the dryer circuit wires, set them aside)
a GFI circuit breaker in the service panel (depending on your State's code requirements)

Don't forget to look into what your Electric Utility service provider offers in discounts and subsidies.
That sounds perfect. Thanks so much!

Also... you mentioned "two 15 amp breakers" but if it's the one that's off in your photo it's 30 amps... and if it was for a dryer, 30 amps would make sense (15 doesn't).

As mentioned by others, a 30A breaker / wiring will get you 24A charging (80% rule for continuous loads). That will likely be sufficient for you. It'll be enough that it won't suffer from the "not enough energy to heat the battery in Winter and charge it at the same time" problem that @Tronguy accurately described.

In summary from everything mentioned here, my recommendation would be to switch the mobile connector to a wall connector (it will be better and ultimately cheaper once you factor the added costs of correctly installing a safe receptacle for the mobile connector).

Once you get the wall connector, the two obvious options would be:
  • Use the existing unused dryer circuit (presumed to be 30A) to hardwired. Seems you'll be needing a junction and additional wiring to get this out to the garage. It'll give you 24A charging.... 5.7kW, which would charge your entire battery from 0-100% in 15ish hours depending on the battery.
  • If it's in the budget, upgrade your service to 200A, then run a new 60A (or higher) circuit out to the garage for 48A charging. A great price for this, all-in, would be like $1,500. A decent price around $2k.
Worth mentioning - you won't actually be charging from 0-100%... like never. So the "15ish hours of charging" estimate I made will more realistically be just a few hours a day depending on your mileage. Whatever amount of charge you need per day will still be twice as fast with 48A charging. It likely won't make a bit of difference though, because it'll happen while you sleep.

Also, the service upgrade might sound like overkill... but some people spend $1k or more just having the charger installed, prices are all over the board. And a service upgrade adds value to your home. If you call many electricians for quotes for "EV charger installation", they see dollar signs and will give you a high estimate. But if you're industrious enough to call like 20 electricians and say something like "I'm looking for a 200A service upgrade, my buddy's in HVAC and says it should be like $1,200 bucks... can you do it for that price?"... you'll likely find someone to do it in that price range. Once you get one of them at a low-ball price, tell them you'd also like a 60A circuit in conduit run 65' to the garage.
That sounds perfect. Thanks so much!

Excellent advice, thank you so much, once again! This place is SOOO helpful. I'm really getting excited about receiving the car.

It blew my mind when Tesla gave me pick up dates for next week. Unfortunately my wife is having surgery right in the middle of that and the delivery location was 6.5 hours away and they could not guarantee the car would actually be there (quoting trains & teamster trucking uncertainties). Luckily a new distribution center JUST opened about 1.5 hours away. So, we cancelled that order and I'll be hearing from them towards the end of the month with a new delivery window, get the VIN, provide that to my insurance folks, get my new cards, send them to Tesla through the app, and then go get my new baby.

It's very interesting how vastly different this car buying experience is. Both simpler AND more complicated at the same time.

A couple of thoughts.

First, there's always the "do nothing" solution - that is, charge your car off the existing 110v circuit. Suppose your commute to work is 30 miles (15 miles each way). A 110v charge will give you 4 to 5 miles of range for each hour it is plugged in. From 7:00pm to 7:00am that works out to around 50 miles, more than enough to cover your daily commute. If your long trips happen only occasionally (where you get home with, say, 20% left in the battery), the overnight charge will still give you enough for your commute the next day. This was what I did when I first got my Model Y and my electrician was on vacation. I also have two Superchargers within five miles, so if I needed a top off it was easy to do.

Next, when I finally did get my 220v connection (in June 2021), I had the electrician put in a NEMA 14-50 outlet rather than a Tesla Wall Connector. The reason was that I wanted to have the flexibility to switch to a different electric vehicle in the future. As it turns out, just about everybody has adopted Tesla's NACS plug (Kia, Hyundai, and Genesis joining this week, leaving only Volkswagen and Toyota to commit. which at this point just seems like a matter of time). So if you install the Tesla Wall Connector, you'll be able to use it for just about any post-2025 EV. And it will charge somewhat faster.

Finally, spend the extra bucks and get an electrician who knows this space. The company I picked has been doing EV outlets for years, and they gave me several options based on location. For example, because of the location of the electrical box I could have had everything done for $450, but it would have meant backing into the garage, something I wasn't excited about. I ended up spending $1,100 to run a much longer line to a more convenient location. The electrician was smart enough to point out the alternatives, what it would mean operationally, etc. I'm very happy with the result.

Reactions: Eric33432
He may not know things like 60 Amps is highest you can go or that 80% of that is max, but he knows electricity and will keep you safe.
If the electrician doesn't know that a device requiring a high amperage continuous load can only occupy 80% of the rated capacity of the circuit, they're *NOT* an electrician, they're a fire-starting handyman. This is code, any real electrician is fully aware of this.

Does the Mobile Charger have a built-in GFI like the Wall Charger?
Yes, it does. And code in most places still requires a GFCI breaker on a 240v to the garage, which means you end up with nuisance trips due to 2 GFCIs on one circuit. And you pay just as much or more for this setup than you would for a hardwired device.

Finally, spend the extra bucks and get an electrician who knows this space.
I disagree with this advice. This is often referred to as "Tesla tax", but in general it's gouging. This is just a circuit ran out to the garage. Two hots and a ground wire, rated for whatever amperage you're targeting (considering that you can only run a continuous load at 80% if that amperage). Your price should be based on the amount of work and materials, not on what you're using it for.

His quote for a new panel was $3200, so I think I'll need more quotes.
It might take an aggressive approach, but I think you'll get a much better price if you tell them the price. Asking for a quote is an open book. If you tell them you're looking for a 200A service upgrade for around $1,200 and they say no, ask them how close they can get to that price. A straightforward service upgrade is a day of work, maybe $500 in materials.