Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Expanding My 6.0kW System - 4.08kW + 2x PW

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is all very interesting and I think that I follow the basic concept in that if a panel is producing insufficient power, its bypass diode(s) will activate so that upstream power can be diverted around the low-performing cells. This is good to know.

It's not clear to me just how much of the array will encroach into the shade caused by the higher roof. I do know that the (4x3) array is 17 x 13.5 ft and that the garage itself is 24 ft wide. I'm guesstimating that the shade is at most 25% of the roof so my feeling is that most of the array should be unaffected by the roof.

My concern has been focused on what effect the tree will have. It sounds like it shouldn't have as much impact as I had feared, particularly if I am proactive in pruning.

Many thanks for the explanations!
A good point nwdiver made was that you want to make sure they are not running two strings of 6 in parallel. I had assumed it was a single string of 12 but realized you cut that portion of the plans you posted. The two wires from the tesla inverter should go to something labelled MP x : 1x12. If it says MP x : 2x6 then that would be a problem.

Reactions: nwdiver
A good point nwdiver made was that you want to make sure they are not running two strings of 6 in parallel. I had assumed it was a single string of 12 but realized you cut that portion of the plans you posted. The two wires from the tesla inverter should go to something labelled MP x : 1x12. If it says MP x : 2x6 then that would be a problem.
I believe that they are a single string of 12 panels, that's what I had been concerned about. Thanks to all your feedback, I am less concerned now :)

1630174768655.png

1630174698436.png
1630174726622.png

Reactions: nwdiver
Something else that I just thought of.

My design includes the 3.8 kW inverter - is there any merit to using the larger inverter to better allow expansion in the future?

I ask because my existing inverter (SE-6000 for 24x 250W panels) doesn't really allow for it, as I understand it.

Something else that I just thought of.

My design includes the 3.8 kW inverter - is there any merit to using the larger inverter to better allow expansion in the future?

I ask because my existing inverter (SE-6000 for 24x 250W panels) doesn't really allow for it, as I understand it.
When I put my batteries, in, I splits my solar and put in the second inverter as another 11.4K SE. Folks thought I was nuts since I only had like 5 K on one, and 8 K on the other. But when I added another 15K of panels after, and did not have to change the inverter or wiring, then they thought I was smart. :)

Reactions: jsurpless