Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Expectations before PTO

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While the install started last Tuesday, August 30, the installer's truck got into an accident and they weren't able to complete the installation the next day. They come back Wednesday this week to finish the install and hopefully turn the system on. It is 12kW with 2 Powerwalls. With that said, my understanding is that I won't be able to send anything back to the grid until PTO, but I will be able to consume and store power generated by the system. Is this accurate? Is there a limit to how much the system will be generating prior to PTO or will I be able to see the full generation from the system? Any settings I need to be aware of in my Tesla app? etc.

Tesla has a page with what they tell you to expect, have you reviewed that?

===================================

(text copy / pasted from teslas website)

What to Expect After Installation​

After installation, you will be contacted to go through a final building inspection. If your system includes a Powerwall+, it will be activated and configured to Self-Consumption Only mode after installation. We will work with your utility to receive Permission to Operate (PTO) your system on the grid. Track your order in your Tesla Account at any time to see your status and next steps.

Inspection Day Checklist​

After installation, you will be contacted to complete a final building inspection.
  • Contact us if work has been done to your home since you installed your system.
  • Ensure no other contractors or workers are on site during your solar inspection.
  • Clear your driveway and provide safe access to your electrical panel.
  • Ensure someone 18 years or older is home during the inspection.
  • Keep any pets and children away from the inspection area for their safety.

Payment Details​

Cash Payment​

Your final payment is due following system inspection.

Loan Payment​

Refer to your loan documentation for your specific payment terms.

Utility Standards and Approval​

Once inspection is complete, we will need to receive permission from your utility to operate your system on the grid.
  • We will complete and submit the necessary documentation to your utility.
  • We will not submit for utility approval until final payment has been made for cash systems.
  • Your utility will process the documentation and grant your system permission to operate (PTO) on the grid. Depending on your location, this may take from one to six weeks.
  • We will notify you as soon as PTO has been granted and provide instructions for turning on your system to operate on the grid.
==============================

If the system is allowed to be in self consumption mode, I believe it curtails production to match consumption. I dont know what dictates whether you get to be in self consumption mode or not. I think its whether you have a powerwall 2+ with its integrated PV inverter or not but I dont know.