Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Expecting baby, better off swapping MS with a MX?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This may at first glance seem like a silly question looking at the topic title, but at the same time, quite a legit question and it would be great to get some thoughts on it.

So, I've had my MS for almost 3 years now and overall very happy with the car. We're now expecting our firstborn and with a pregnant wife, I see the struggle of getting in and out of the MS. Especially at home where we're parked on a slight decline. Of course, take her out first, but that's not always so feasible. So it got me thinking. Sometimes when parked, here in HK, as you know, there's not that much space between cars, so opening the rear doors enough to even get a big baby seat in/out, seems to potentially be a challenge.

The answer almost seems obvious, but do you think it would be wise to sell my MS and go get a Model X instead - from a pregnant wife / baby coming up point of view?

Model X is great for new families. Elon has 5 kids and gave that lots of consideration when designing the X.

The X is much easier for a preganant lady to get in and out of. It sits higher and She does not need to lean over so much.

Putting in child car seats is easier in the X. The Falcon wing doors allow you to stand fully up when installing them. Also gives you some overhead protection from Sun and rain when strapping in the child.

The Falcon Wing doors have double hinges. They can fold up and down with just minimal clearance between other cars. Actually get in and out easier than with conventional side opening doors.

Like most modern cars, the X comes complete with the LATCH system for installing child seats. (Same as with your S)

One negative, however, is that in garages with low ceilings, the doors often will not open up all the way. They have sensors in them that will prevent them from hitting a low overhead.

PS. My Grandkids love riding in my X. They call it "The Spaceship".

The X is certainly easier to get in/out of the second row, and car seats are much easier to handle than the S. However, given that you are in Hong Kong, and we have some very unique considerations here, I should point out:
  • How wide is your car park space? Bear in mind that the X is wider than the S.
  • How severe is the incline? The X doors (both front and falcon wings) can behave strangely on an incline (as the weight on the sensors is angled differently). Sometimes they won't open fully, and sometimes they won't open at all (even manually).
I suggest you talk to Tesla (not TESLΛ) and see if you can get a test drive of the X to include your parking garage. See how it actually behaves.

Been in similar situation, my model S was around 3 years old when my baby was born, still driving my model S and you may look into the followings before buying a model X:

1) do you really wanna use a portable baby car seat? never used one, saw different people taking it in and out of a car, looks cool, but also looks inconvenient in local car parks. and you need to bring the "base" (the part with wheels) around as you don't often get a flat surface to put the car seat on while out of the car. I always bring our infant stroller with us in the past, now almost never use it as my daughter prefers me holding her around while we are on foot (yes, dumbbells may be better prep for baby than new car)

2) which infant stroller you are getting? those with nice suspension can take up quite some space, mine is wide and tall when folded, plenty of space left with it sitting in the model S trunk, but i wonder if model X can accommodate that. you may want to check the size of the "base" of a portable baby car seat if you getting one of those

3) your pregnant wife, it's very difficult to get in or out of model S which has no "roof handles", so either someone (aka you) help her or you need a different car, but this period won't last that long, unless you get a second hand model X or your baby may come first