Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Experience buying a used Model Y from Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am thinking of buying a used Model Y from Tesla, I would be interested to hear people's experiences that have done this.
What condition was the car? (Cosmetically etc.)
Transaction
Features installed (FSD, Acceleration Boost...)

Any advice, things to consider, Pro's and Con's

I know the price can be close to a new 2024 MY, however, most used ones I've looked at also come with FSD and other options that if added to a new MY would end up costing more. I really wanted a 2024 MY with the discount they recently had but waited too long and missed the deal. I could wait, but I'm just looking at other choices, used being one of them. Educate me please :)

You may not end up valuing FSDb as much as its price tag... I suspect most people don't.

Also, from what I've read, Tesla has a lot of excess inventory. If you buy an in-inventory Y, plus with $7,500 federal rebate, buying new might even be cheaper than used.

I haven't looked at any prices to verify any of this, just thinking out loud.

I understand the math, and I'm not the type of person who will pay more for the same (or worse). I also agree the FSD is only worth as much as you value the service. For us, we would not pay $99/month or $12k for it, not even 1/2 of that.

So maybe put aside the cost/value part and share your experience in the process and condition of the car you picked up.

I was looking at MYLR 22's and 23's with 10k or fewer miles and they were coming in at $48-49k (local to me). They all seemed to have FSD and AB, I would not pay $12k for FSD but I would have got the AB. So maybe together they are worth $5k? but even using that math the price would still be $43-44k, new car after the MSRP $2k drop and including the tax credit was $41.5k. So no contest.

Reactions: father_of_6