Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Even Trade-In from 2023 to 2024 Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No reason. Initial trade in value for the 2018 M3 LD was 22k; when I opened the payment finalization it was 17k.
That's shady af to get to the final step and have the figures change that dramatically with no reason given.

It would be one thing to provide a list of items like "needs tires, needs windshield, paint damage" or something that you can at least look at and then determine if you agree with their findings. Something that at least shows they inspected the vehicle rather than just arbitrarily lower the trade-in at the finish line w/o any reason given.

If it was me, there's no way I'd reward that type of behavior. That's the only reason they do it because they can. My guess is that rarely does it cost them a sale and in almost every case it adds to their profits. It's a shady practice but if nobody is calling you out on it...

What was the time period between initial estimate and what was finally put into it for trade?

Reactions: Gpa9504
If you go to the delivery details on your app,proceed to account; where it says make you final payment it will have to say “ payment complete”. The payment details will show you at which price they accepted your trade in. In my case they lowered 5k when I went to pay the final price.
They gave me an estimate, came back with an offer over what my estimate was, I accepted the offer and paid the rest off thru Plaid.
My car is paid in full so I don’t know how they can come back with a different trade in value when I go pick up the new car and leave them my old one.

Last edited:
That's shady af to get to the final step and have the figures change that dramatically with no reason given.

It would be one thing to provide a list of items like "needs tires, needs windshield, paint damage" or something that you can at least look at and then determine if you agree with their findings. Something that at least shows they inspected the vehicle rather than just arbitrarily lower the trade-in at the finish line w/o any reason given.

If it was me, there's no way I'd reward that type of behavior. That's the only reason they do it because they can. My guess is that rarely does it cost them a sale and in almost every case it adds to their profits. It's a shady practice but if nobody is calling you out on it...

What was the time period between initial estimate and what was finally put into it for trade?
About one week spread between intial estimate and final offer (17k). I bought new inventory on hand so there was not too much time between order and pickup. Take the estimate with a grain of salt.

They could end up in a situation where the new car has a bunch of issues that take several visits to resolve and/or Tesla refuses to fix some because they are within spec, taking a bunch of time. And Tesla decides to not honor the FSD transfer for one reason (delivery date which OP doesn’t control) or another (this has happened to some people with the last transfer promo).

Not really advocating one way or another but that would make it not worthwhile
I just bought a new YLR and am supposed to get FSD transfer and my Free Lifetime Supercharging........they will prove to me at delivery it is on my account and reservation number before i sign over the old tesla.....I will just walk away and demand the$250 back....i have email stating it will happen if delivery is before 31 Mar 24......We will see.....I am doing this because my warranty expired in Jan 24 and i just could not hope to continue not having problem any problem with old car....So i get new car, new 4 yr warranty, 120,000 battery warranty and have the same perks my old car has....The extended warranty was $3,500 and for $7,500 getting new car...to me it was a no brainer....except would havelike for new juniper, but 12K for FSD and no free supercharging....

Reactions: vickh and WyoDude
In January I bought a MYP with a MY3 2018 LR with 38k trade in. Thru the app they offered 22k dollars. When I received the final delivery details to pay the difference,it was 17k dollars. I went thru with the deal because it allowed me to drive until the pickup.
if they do that to me with my perfect car trade at 37,300 i'll walk away.....wont give in on a perfect condition car with the same FSD abd free supercharging

I just bought a new YLR and am supposed to get FSD transfer and my Free Lifetime Supercharging........they will prove to me at delivery it is on my account and reservation number before i sign over the old tesla.....I will just walk away and demand the$250 back....i have email stating it will happen if delivery is before 31 Mar 24......We will see.....I am doing this because my warranty expired in Jan 24 and i just could not hope to continue not having problem any problem with old car....So i get new car, new 4 yr warranty, 120,000 battery warranty and have the same perks my old car has....The extended warranty was $3,500 and for $7,500 getting new car...to me it was a no brainer....except would havelike for new juniper, but 12K for FSD and no free supercharging....
Update:....Today got back the quote from Tesla....It was the exact same as the quote !!! It also said that the FSD and Free Super Charging will be done at delivery....in writing.....and the prices was $7,418.....So i do better....Overall, i am pleased, but.....you have to ask all kinds of questions.....nothing told to you except price and availability.....I asked what type battery, EMSirius radio (not there), garage door opener (not there).....can still get xm radio using bluetooth....but will talk to SiriusXM tomorrow....the final issue and thing that really rubs me the wrong way is, you do not know the final price or even see a final invoice will all the number until delivery date.....i would recommend everyone review and research the car you want and determine the battery used and other thing of big concern....i know, but still am waiting for an answer on what battery is used: 2170 or 4680, made in Texas....i get the dear in the headlight look....but i am happy...we will see haow delivery process goes....Irvine delivery center has several CT's. bot those tires are big!

Reactions: WyoDude
I have a 2023 Model Y, LR 5-seat, Black w/ 20”, FSD, 10k miles, perfect condition

Checked Tesla trade in value and they’re offering $40k

A brand new 2024 inventory MY is $40k after the instant $7.5k discount. Only difference is 19” wheels. Would do FSD transfer.

I think it’s a no brainer - more valuable in the future, extra warranty, etc. No taxes since new car is technically $0.

I contacted Tesla and they said they don’t care about wheel size in the trade in values (they only ask for mileage and condition)

Some questions:
  1. Is their trade in estimate accurate? Car is in perfect condition. I don’t want to go through the hassle and them low ball me.
  2. Would they allow me to swap my 20” wheels and tires on my old car with the newly purchased car, and trade in my 2023 with the new 19” wheels and tires?
  3. Anything else I’m missing that might cost me $$?
1. yes unless accidents are hiding in the search history and their search will find them, accidents, even fixed, equal lower trade in value
2. they wont do it
3. dont think so, trades, I've done three, are smooooth at Tesla
enjoy

2170. Definitively. There’s like zero ambiguity on this.
thank you ....I feel better now....the 2170 I think may be better in the long run....My wife's 2019 Model 3 has 21,345 miles and degradation is only 9.28%....my 2020 Model S has 32.459 miles and has 9.27%....Both cars are wires car is 4.5 yrs old and mine has just turned 4 years....since we do not go on long trips any more, the Model Y is a better choice...I loved the S but sometimes it's hard to get in and out....thanks again

Reactions: WyoDude
If they're still offering the $40K trade-in value, I would definitely upgrade. Even if you use a few thousand dollars on the trade, you'll have a newer vehicle, upgraded computer, and the value of the new car will be significantly higher than your existing vehicle.

Reactions: r1200gs4ok