Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Experiencing range anxiety!!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

parsec

Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2024
USA
I experienced serious RANGE ANXIETY on my recent trip from Atlanta to eastern North Carolina!!!

My wife drove the Model Y, and I drove a Dodge Durango, which is fueled by a bad-smelling highly-flammable fluid. I was carefully towing a boat I'd just finished building. Even at relatively low speed, the Dodge was going about half as far per gallon of this vile liquid as it would without the boat... and normal consumption is pretty awful already. So about 150 miles into the trip, the Dodge was getting low on fuel, and I was getting ANXIOUS about having to visit the slimy stinky restroom in some out-of-the-way gas station in rural Georgia.

In a previous trip, I had attempted to use the restroom at one such place, and was warned away by the previous user, but popped my head in, nevertheless. It was the most awful restroom I'd ever seen, and just taking a look (without actually walking in) made me feel like I needed to shower immediately.

So as the fuel gauge headed toward E, I worried that I might not find a station in time, but also worried that if I found a station, it would be an awful experience: bad smells at the pump, iffy card reader, slimy restroom. If only I had MORE RANGE I could avoid or at least postpone all that! RANGE ANXIETY! How do ICE car drivers deal with that??!!

Fortunately, I found a station before running out of gas, and endured the gritty business of refueling and answering nature's call. My wife was in the Tesla, in air-conditioned comfort, listening to music through its excellent sound system, with about half its range still available. She was relaxed and comfortable.

Hours earlier, when we topped up the Model Y back in Atlanta at a Supercharger, we had some fabulous ice cream at a sparkling clean shop close to the charger. The staff and proprietor were engaging and thoughtful people, and even offered us an umbrella to use to get back to the car through the downpour that had started as we enjoyed the ice cream. The Tesla was topped up as soon as our bellies were. An all-around pleasant experience.

SO SO much better than the RANGE ANXIETY that I endured with the Dodge. Do any of you have ICE vehicles? How do you deal with the anxiety and the bad smells, and dingy surroundings, and the ever present danger of a conflagration set off by a spark. And what's with all that noise and vibration in ICE vehicles? And why is there that hiccup and lurch every time the car downshifts?? And when it downshifts, it gets noisier yet. What's that hot smelly stuff coming out of that pipe at the back of my Durango?

With the Model Y being the best-selling car in the world, at least I can take comfort in the idea that fewer people around the world will have to deal with the awful range anxiety that I endured with my Dodge.